none
Performance Monitoring data collected ( CPU and RAM)

Question

• I have 4 exchange MBX servers (2 in VMs and 2 in physcial). I triggered "perf mon with 15 secs" on all 4 of them starting the 25th of Dec.

I realized that while online defragmentation started on the VM servers around 1am, the performance looked questionable comparing to the other 2 physical exchange servers.

Is this normal? Did I set the sample interval too short?

The first picture shows the data collected from 1 of the physical machines (Which has similar performance with the other physical server):

Here's the data collected from 1 of the VMs (which has similar performance with the other VM Server too):

Wednesday, December 28, 2011 8:41 AM

All replies

• Hi,

I understanding that while online defragmentation start on both VM and physical server, the performance is not the same.

Thus I recommend you to use Process Explorer to check which process would eat CPU so much on VM

Process Explorer v15.11

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb896653

Xiu Zhang

TechNet Community Support

Thursday, December 29, 2011 8:08 AM
  • I think my concern would be the "available Mbytes & Page Read/sec" on the VM. Why would it take so much more virtual memory during the defragmentation time comparing to physical server..?
    Friday, December 30, 2011 1:22 AM
  • Hi,

I  understand.

We need to verify if store.exe eat so much CPU via process explorer.

Xiu Zhang

Friday, December 30, 2011 6:36 AM
  • Yes, store.exe utilized most of the "mem usage" @ around 15GB with a constant 2-10% CPU usage.
    Friday, December 30, 2011 6:43 AM
  • Both physical and VM servers are showing store.exe eating up resources. So why is the latter one having such performance data?
    Tuesday, January 03, 2012 2:07 AM
  • Hi,

It would be the issue about the performance of Exchange which is hold by VM server.

I recommend you to contact support from VM to get relevant help.

For online defragmentation, if you have backup running during the Maintenance interval it will hit the performance of Exchange. By default, Exchange is configured to run online defragmentation daily between 01:00 and 05:00.

I recommend you to have a look at the article below

Performance issue in Exchange Server - Store.exe consuming High Cpu Usage during the Backup.

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/exchangesvrmonitoring/thread/338fa2f1-7fa0-4e9b-aca4-95864b4976c0

Xiu Zhang

Thursday, January 05, 2012 2:38 AM