none
SBS 2008 : Exchange 2007 SP1 - upgrade to SP3

Question

• Hi,

running SBS 2008 which has Exchange 2007 SP1. Found out that there is SP3 available. Downloaded the 64-bit version and clicked setup.exe file. An error message appeared and installation was not initiated.

Should this upgrade not be just like any other update?

Sincerely,
    Andreas

Monday, April 25, 2011 8:09 PM

Answers

All replies

• Did you follow:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/982423

How to install Exchange Server 2007 SP3 on a computer that is running Windows SBS 2008

Monday, April 25, 2011 8:49 PM
  • According to the KB, I need to disable Microsoft Forefront Security. But the thing is that I am not running this at all.

Based on the KB, it should just be to run the SP3 upgrade.

Tuesday, April 26, 2011 6:34 AM
  • Hi ABodin,

What is the error you got? Could you paste it in your next post.

Here is a similar thread, hope can give you some help:

Can't update to Exchange Server 2007 SP3 on SBS 2008

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/smallbusinessserver/thread/a369c5a4-677b-4bd1-9242-d4cdc8776602

Thanks,

Evan

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    Wednesday, April 27, 2011 5:59 AM
  • Hi ABodin,

Any updates on this issue?

You can follow the KB to install Exchange 2007 SP3, this update doesn’t have any special requirements.

If you get any error when you try to install it, please paste it in detail, we need the error detail to help you.

Thanks,

Evan

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    Monday, May 02, 2011 2:18 AM
  • Did you runas admin?
    • Marked as answer by ABodin Saturday, May 07, 2011 3:05 PM
    Monday, May 02, 2011 6:13 AM
  • Hi ABodin,

Any updates on this issue?

You can follow the KB to install Exchange 2007 SP3, this update doesn’t have any special requirements.

If you get any error when you try to install it, please paste it in detail, we need the error detail to help you.

Thanks,

Evan

Hi Evan,

I have not yet been able to make any progress on this topic. I need to organize and find a date/time when I can get an agreement to secure that no users are working/connecting to the server (or is there a way to kind of put things "offline" while in operational status?).

I will keep you posted!

Sincerely,
     Andreas

Monday, May 02, 2011 6:34 AM
  • Did you runas admin?
    I am not sure I did that actually. I think I ran the upgrade with my NetworkAdmin account that should have the same rights as local Administrator, or am I out bicycling here?
    Monday, May 02, 2011 6:38 AM
  • Not the same.  It's not the "500" account.  You need to make sure you right mouse click and run as admin to install it.
    Monday, May 02, 2011 6:40 AM
  • Hi ABodin,

What is the error you got? Could you paste it in your next post.

Here is a similar thread, hope can give you some help:

Can't update to Exchange Server 2007 SP3 on SBS 2008

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/smallbusinessserver/thread/a369c5a4-677b-4bd1-9242-d4cdc8776602

Thanks,

Evan

Hi all,

now I've managed to plan a Server maintenance on this weekend since all employes will be off for weekend.

Just to secure: Is it possible to upgrade directly to SP3 from Exchange 2007 SP1?

Sincerely,
     Andreas

Friday, May 06, 2011 3:01 PM
  • Hi Andreas,

Per my kowledge, you can upgrade directly to SP3 from Exchange 2007 SP1.

You can use the following methods to install Exchange 2007 SP3:

• On a computer that is running the original release version of Exchange 2007, upgrade the program to Exchange 2007 SP3.
    • On a computer that is running Exchange 2007 SP1, upgrade the program to Exchange 2007 SP3.
    • On a computer that is running Exchange 2007 SP2, upgrade the program to Exchange 2007 SP3.
    • Perform a new installation of Exchange 2007 SP3.

You can get more information from this document:

Release Notes for Exchange Server 2007 SP3

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ff607233(EXCHG.80).aspx

Thanks,

Evan

Saturday, May 07, 2011 11:38 AM