none
Re-Post in different forum - Splits need to choose the existing forum if no forum is specified

Question

• (I posted this months ago to the Suggestions forum. No-one from the Forum Software team seems to reading relevant posts there as this isn't the only suggestion of mine in the past 3 months or so there that has been ignored.)

Since posting that suggestion I have continued having exactly the same problem every time I use the Split function.

The point is that 99.99% of the time when you do a thread split, you want to split off a new question from an existing thread (probably answered already) which has a different question.

This means that you want it to go to the same forum. 99.99 % of the time.

Yet what happens if you

a) Fill in the Title

b) Give a reason for Splitting the post

?

Yes, you are told that you need to specify a forum!

But it goes to the same forum, silly.

Unfortunately the forum isn't a small boy so it never realises this and continues to ask you to hunt for and select the forum (where it already is!) to send it to.

Please, please regard this as an error. The software should 100% of the time assume that if a forum isn't selected for a Split, then the split post(s) go to the same forum where they are already located.

Not too much to ask surely? I do Splits rarely but *every time* I do a split I always end up getting a message telling me to specify a forum and the reason is simple - Bad UI.

2010 Books: SPF 2010; SPS 2010; SPD 2010; InfoPath 2010; Workflow etc.
    2007 Books: WSS 3.0; MOSS 2007; SPD 2007; InfoPath 2007; PerformancePoint; SSRS; Workflow
    Both lists also include books in French; German; Spanish with even more languages in the 2007 list.
    Wednesday, July 21, 2010 11:52 AM

Answers

• Yes, there are a few things like this in the backlog.  Thanks for the suggestion.  Re: the suggestion forum, we don't have the resources to dedicate to it, I've been wanting to close it down for months and open a connection that would pipe right into tfs backlog, but haven't gotten to it. Maybe this will kick start that.

Community Forums Program Manager

Friday, June 01, 2012 2:42 AM
    Answerer

All replies

• Well, I agree that this would be nice, but it is a feature request. I can check, but this is likely "by design".

I can check to see if it's on the product team's log.

Thanks!

Ed Price (a.k.a User Ed), SQL Server Experience Program Manager (Blog, Twitter, Wiki)

Saturday, May 26, 2012 4:13 AM
    Owner
  • I need to submit an inquiry for this.

Thanks!

Ed Price (a.k.a User Ed), SQL Server Experience Program Manager (Blog, Twitter, Wiki)

Thursday, May 31, 2012 9:02 PM
    Owner
  • I agree that providing the default forum for the splitted threads to be the same as the original forum would be a nice idea. I think either me or someone relatively recently even made this suggestion.

For every expert, there is an equal and opposite expert. - Becker's Law

My blog

Thursday, May 31, 2012 9:31 PM
    Answerer
  • Yes, there are a few things like this in the backlog.  Thanks for the suggestion.  Re: the suggestion forum, we don't have the resources to dedicate to it, I've been wanting to close it down for months and open a connection that would pipe right into tfs backlog, but haven't gotten to it. Maybe this will kick start that.

Community Forums Program Manager

Friday, June 01, 2012 2:42 AM
    Answerer
  • Are you saying that the suggestions made in that forum are not looked up? 

My blog

Friday, June 01, 2012 3:07 AM
    Answerer
  • Are you saying that the suggestions made in that forum are not looked up? 

My blog

Yes. Not proactively as a guarantee.

Tuesday, June 05, 2012 8:03 AM
    Owner
  • That's too bad, as people continue to make good suggestions there.

My blog

Tuesday, June 05, 2012 12:02 PM
    Answerer