none
WSUS and WSUS Content Directory Size

Question

• I am using the Windows Small Business Server 2011 Standard Console ' Updates (under the security tab) to distribute Windows updates to the server and work stations.

My WSUS directory is 15.1 GB and the WSUSContent directory is 5.64 GB.

Should these directories be this large?  Is my server not purging old unnecessary updates?

Thanks,

George

Sunday, October 06, 2013 3:13 AM

Answers

• Hi:

Try this:  Start - Admin Tools - Windows Update Services - Tools - Cleanup Wizard.  Do the selections one at a time if you have never done them before.

Then, use the script found here:

http://wsus.codeplex.com/releases/view/17612

And run that as a scheduled task every week.

Larry Struckmeyer[SBS-MVP] If your question is answered, please mark the response as the answer so that others can benefit.

Sunday, October 06, 2013 3:52 AM
  • I have never seen any reference to the cleanup breaking anything.  I guess there are exceptions.  The cleanup is designed to remove unneeded data from the SOL tables that contain them, so I can't imagine it would affect your console.

Larry Struckmeyer[SBS-MVP] If your question is answered, please mark the response as the answer so that others can benefit.

Sunday, October 06, 2013 12:21 PM
  • If you have never run it before, or allowed it to finish, it can take a very long time.  That I why I said to run them one at a time, then run them every week.  Keep on keeping on and you will see a marked reduction in the database size and subsequent cleanups will be much faster... as little as a few minutes.

Tuesday, October 08, 2013 10:52 AM
  • Glad you got it to finish.  Here is a blog that might help you with this.  The databases will hold whatever updates WSUS thinks you have asked it to, and sometimes we ask too much.  However, if your network has many different OSs and several flavors of Office you will be offered a lot and WSUS will retain them.

http://blogs.technet.com/b/gborger/archive/2009/02/27/what-to-do-when-your-wsuscontent-folder-grows-too-large.aspx

Note that for SBS you should choose the language and unselect drivers.  The rest is required and will break the integration with the SBS console if you deselect other items.

Saturday, October 12, 2013 5:54 PM

All replies

• Hi:

Try this:  Start - Admin Tools - Windows Update Services - Tools - Cleanup Wizard.  Do the selections one at a time if you have never done them before.

Then, use the script found here:

http://wsus.codeplex.com/releases/view/17612

And run that as a scheduled task every week.

Sunday, October 06, 2013 3:52 AM
  • Larry,

I think that I tried to used the Cleanup Wizard once before and it broke my Windows Small Business Server 2011 Standard Console ' Updates.  Will this break anything in the Small Business Server 2011 if I use the Wizard?

Sunday, October 06, 2013 4:12 AM
  • I have never seen any reference to the cleanup breaking anything.  I guess there are exceptions.  The cleanup is designed to remove unneeded data from the SOL tables that contain them, so I can't imagine it would affect your console.

Sunday, October 06, 2013 12:21 PM
  • Larry,

How long should the Cleanup Wizard take to run?  I ran it yesterday for 2 hours and it didn't progress but very slightly.  I rebooted the server and ran the cleanup wizard for 6 hours and it progressed about 1/3 of the progress bar.

I have noticed that the Windows update services has stopped and I am receiving critical errors notifications.

Any idea what is going wrong and why this wizard will not purge correctly?

Thanks

George

Tuesday, October 08, 2013 3:22 AM
  • If you have never run it before, or allowed it to finish, it can take a very long time.  That I why I said to run them one at a time, then run them every week.  Keep on keeping on and you will see a marked reduction in the database size and subsequent cleanups will be much faster... as little as a few minutes.

Tuesday, October 08, 2013 10:52 AM
  • Larry The clean up tool ran for 2 days and then blows up with the following error below. Not sure what to do to fix the issue. Thanks George The WSUS administration console was unable to connect to the WSUS Server Database. Verify that SQL server is running on the WSUS Server. If the problem persists, try restarting SQL. System.Data.SqlClient.SqlException -- Cannot open database "SUSDB" requested by the login. The login failed. Login failed for user 'NT AUTHORITY\NETWORK SERVICE'. Source .Net SqlClient Data Provider Stack Trace: at System.Windows.Forms.Control.MarshaledInvoke(Control caller, Delegate method, Object[] args, Boolean synchronous) at System.Windows.Forms.Control.Invoke(Delegate method, Object[] args) at Microsoft.UpdateServices.UI.SnapIn.Wizards.ServerCleanup.ServerCleanupWizard.OnCleanupComplete(Object sender, PerformCleanupCompletedEventArgs e)
    Wednesday, October 09, 2013 7:10 PM
  • Been some time since I have seen that message, assuming it is the same.  There should have been a "reset" or "reconnect" button.  If so, that will usually restart the connection and allow you to resume or restart the clean up.

Let us know if this is not what you experienced and what errors, if any, are in the event logs at that time that appear to be related.

Keep on keeping on.  It will eventually finish.

Wednesday, October 09, 2013 8:06 PM
  • Larry,

I was able to successfully finish running the cleanup routine.  It took 6 or 7 tries before it would complete.  I think that I delete around 70,000 unused, unneeded, expired  or superseded updates.

My WSUS directory is now 15.7 GB with 1,696 files and the WSUS Contents is 5.21 GB with 1,694 files.

Why did these directories not shrink?  What is going on?

George

Saturday, October 12, 2013 5:32 PM
  • Glad you got it to finish.  Here is a blog that might help you with this.  The databases will hold whatever updates WSUS thinks you have asked it to, and sometimes we ask too much.  However, if your network has many different OSs and several flavors of Office you will be offered a lot and WSUS will retain them.

http://blogs.technet.com/b/gborger/archive/2009/02/27/what-to-do-when-your-wsuscontent-folder-grows-too-large.aspx

Note that for SBS you should choose the language and unselect drivers.  The rest is required and will break the integration with the SBS console if you deselect other items.

Saturday, October 12, 2013 5:54 PM
  • Larry,

I adjusted the products and classificatiions and now I have additional problems.

When I run the SBS 2011 standard console, On the right side "Updates" I receive the message "Updates not available".  "The software update configuration has been modified and no longer meets the requirement configuration".

What is the requirement configuration?  Did I uncheck a necessary requirement of the products and classifications?  Do I need ISA 2004 or ISA 2006?  Do I need Bing Bar or Bing Desktop checked? Biz talk server?

Is there a list of what SBS 2011 must have?

Thansk

George

Monday, October 14, 2013 2:52 AM
  • George:

Appears you were a bit over zealous in your selections.  See if this helps:

http://blogs.technet.com/b/sbs/archive/2009/06/23/update-services-in-sbs-2008.aspx

Search the net for "SBS 2011 build wiki" and "Official SBS Blog".   Add to Favorites/Bookmark those, including both technet and diva blogs.  Lots of good stuff there.

Monday, October 14, 2013 10:58 AM