none
When opening powerpoint 2003 file in outlook 2010 we receive an error message

Question

• We are currently upgrading from Office 2003 to Office 2010 and we are having some issues regarding powerpoint files. Some powerpoint files wich are made with Office 2003 can't be opend in Powerpoint 2010. We receive the following message: 'Powerpoint was unable to find C:\program files (x86)\Microsoft Office\Office14\xlators\pp7x32.dll'.

We have a workaround by opening the file in office 2003 and saving it as an office 2007 file, then open the file in Office 2010, you'll receive a message asking to repair the file and when you click yes the file opens and can be used. Is there a solution regarding this issue or can we only use the workaround?

I hope someone can help.

Thank you in advanced.

Thursday, March 01, 2012 2:53 PM

Answers

All replies

• Hi,

This problem might occur if previous version data still contain in system or registry entries.

Please complete uninstall Office 2003 refer to below link:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2639197

After uninstall, you may repair Office 2010.

Best regards.

William Zhou

TechNet Community Support

Tuesday, March 06, 2012 7:34 AM
  • William,

Thank you for your responds and I will definately test this but i'm not sure this is the cause because we use a SCCM tasksequence to install Office 2010. In this tasksequence there's a check for Office 2003 and a full deinstall of Office 2003 if necessary. I will try to manually deinstall Office 2003 in our test enviroment and install Office 2010 to see if this does the trick.

I will get back to you :).

Greets,

Michael

Wednesday, March 07, 2012 3:48 PM
  • Hi Michael,

As I have not heard from you for several days. I will go ahead and close this thread. If you have any questions, please feel free to reply to us and this thread will be re-opened.

Best Regards.

William Zhou

Tuesday, March 13, 2012 1:13 AM
  • Hello William,

I'm sorry for the late responds but we have been very busy. I did test the deinstall and clean the system/registry entries but the problem remains. I hope you have another solution I can try :). If not, thank you for your help so far :).

Thursday, March 22, 2012 12:29 PM
  • Hi,

Please try to create a new windows account test if it helps:

For Windows XP:
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/811151

Windows 7:

Create a user account

Fix a corrupted user profile

Best regards.

William Zhou

Friday, March 23, 2012 2:28 AM
  • William,

Thank you for the help but we decided to go with the workaround.

Greets,

Michael

Wednesday, April 18, 2012 2:27 PM