none
WSS on SBS2008 fails after hotfix kb968857

Question

• Hi,

Ive been trying to solve an issue with WSS 3.0 on SBS 2008 and installed the following hotfix which claimed to resolve this issue: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/968857

After a reboot (which it prompted for, even though the article says it wont), I get 'cannot connect to configuration database' message when trying to browse companyweb.

The hotfix installer told me I nneded to run SP products and technologies wizard after rebooting so i tried that which also failed saying it couldnt find the DB server farm then gave me an option to either cancel or remove from the farm - I cancelled!

Ive seen some people having issues with this hotfix after googling and it seems the wizard has issues and the psconfig command needs to be run instead:

psconfig -cmd upgrade -inplace b2b
    This also fails as it also does with the -force switch and -force -wait switches which someone else recomended.
    I have 2 full backups per day (going back 4 weeks) with which I could just restore the c: drive back with in the morning (I'm working remotely right now, so I would need to be onsite in the morning with SBS 2008 media) but want to know if there is an easier option.
    I've already tried the application recovery option in SBS2008's backup and recovery to restore WSS back to 11pm yesterday but the first action fails due to the application writer not runing (Ive started the VSS writer in services).
    I installed the hotfix at 16:08 today - straight away there are errors where previously the only errors or warnings were exchange not being able to find a cert for TSL (not bothered about them) and blackberry server spitting a couple of errors which havent manifested into issues - now its chucking errors every few minutes :(
    Here are some of the event log errors:
    1st error:
    The description for Event ID 33002 from source MSSQL$MICROSOFT##SSEE cannot be found. Either the component that raises this event is not installed on your local computer or the installation is corrupted. You can install or repair the component on the local computer.
    If the event originated on another computer, the display information had to be saved with the event.
    The following information was included with the event:
    module
    dbo.proc_MSS_GetConfigurationProperty
    The specified resource type cannot be found in the image file
    followed directly by:
    Unknown SQL Exception 33002 occured. Additional error information from SQL Server is included below.
    Access to module dbo.proc_getObjectsByClass is blocked because the signature is not valid.
    Then its multiple iterations of the same repeating
    .....................................................................................................................................................................................................

The description for Event ID 33002 from source MSSQL$MICROSOFT##SSEE cannot be found. Either the component that raises this event is not installed on your local computer or the installation is corrupted. You can install or repair the component on the local computer.
    If the event originated on another computer, the display information had to be saved with the event.
    The following information was included with the event:
    module
    dbo.proc_getObjectsByBaseClass
    The specified resource type cannot be found in the image file
    ........................................................................................................................................................
    Unknown SQL Exception 33002 occured. Additional error information from SQL Server is included below.
    Access to module dbo.proc_getObjectsByBaseClass is blocked because the signature is not valid.
    ...........................................................................................................................................................
    The server has a C: and D: drive, all data is on D: (as well as exchange/sharepoint/WSUS data), so booting from installation media and going down the bare metal restore route, choosing OS restore and just C: drive should solve the issue with minor data loss (which I could get back with a file level restore from the same backup set) shouldnt it, unless there is a glaringly easy way to solve this without resorting to backups?
    Wednesday, June 02, 2010 7:29 PM

Answers

• We eventually resolved the issue, as there was no critical dat ain the site (just customisations which can be redone) we rolled right back and got everything back online. Heres the final summery email from product support explaining the steps.

It was my pleasure to assist you with your “Unable to Browse SharePoint Site http://companyweb” issue on case NO. 110060329857382.

I am providing you with a summary of the key points of the case for your records. If you have any questions please feel free to call me; my contact information is listed below.

Issue:               Unable to Browse SharePoint Site http://companyweb after installing Custom Workflow and hotfix 968857.

Cause:             Possibly Sharepoint Configuration database got corrupt.

Resolution \ Troubleshooting Steps:

-          Create a new SharePoint Farm on the server.

-          Followed the steps below

-          Took Backup of ShareWebDb from SQL

-          Deleted the following Database from SQL

-          SharePoint_AdminContent Database

-          SharePoint_Config_29c26fca-17b8-48c1-9704-b869932abcb6

-           

-          Took backup of Registry :

-          Deleted :

-          HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Shared Tools\Web Server Extensions\12.0\Secure\ConfigDB\DSN  

-           

-          Modified:

-          HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Shared Tools\Web Server Extensions\12.0\WSS\ServerRole 

-          Change Value from ‘SINGLESERVER’    TO ‘WFE’

-           

-          Deleted: IIS Web application

-          SharePoint Central Administration V3

-          SBS SharePoint

-           

-          Deleted: Application pool

-          SBS Sharepoint AppPool

-           

-          "Run the SharePoint Products and Technologies Configuration Wizard now"

-          is checked and click "Close"

-          Click Next

-          Click Yes to the services restart warning

-          Choose "No, I want to create a new server farm" and click Next

-          Enter the following on the Specify Configuration Database Settings page and click

-          next:

-          Database Server == SERVERNAME\Microsoft##SSEE

-          Database Name == SharePoint_Config_29c26fca-17b8-48c1-9704-b869932abcb6

-          Username == Domain\AdminUser

-          Password == Your Password

-          Accept the default of NTLM and click Next

-          Click Next on the Advanced Settings page

-          Click Finish

-           

-          Wizard completed successfully.

-          We were able to browse SharePoint Central Admin website.

-           

-          Created a new Web application “SBS SharePoint” with application pool “SBS Sharepoint AppPool” using Network Services.

-          Port = 80

-          Hostheader = Companyweb

-          Url = http://companyweb

-          Database name= Temp

-           

-          Removed the Temp DB from SBS SharePoint  using SharePoint Central Admin

-           

-          Using STSADM.exe added ContentDB

-           

-          STSADM.exe –o addcontentdb  -url http://companyweb –databasename ShareWebDb

-          The wizard failed  with error:

[SPHierarchyManager] [DEBUG] [6/4/2010 2:18:38 PM]: SPTree Value=SPContentDatabase Name=ShareWebDb Parent=SPDatabaseServiceInstance Name=Microsoft##SSEE IsRoot=True.

[SPHierarchyManager] [DEBUG] [6/4/2010 2:18:38 PM]: 1/1 root trees in cache.

[SPManager] [DEBUG] [6/4/2010 2:18:38 PM]: SPTree Value=SPContentDatabase Name=ShareWebDb Parent=SPDatabaseServiceInstance Name=Microsoft##SSEE IsGrown=False IsRoot=True IsLeaf=True.

[SPManager] [DEBUG] [6/4/2010 2:18:38 PM]: Using cached [SPContentDatabase Name=ShareWebDb Parent=SPDatabaseServiceInstance Name=Microsoft##SSEE] NeedsUpgrade value: True.

[SPManager] [DEBUG] [6/4/2010 2:18:38 PM]: Upgrading [SPContentDatabase Name=ShareWebDb Parent=SPDatabaseServiceInstance Name=Microsoft##SSEE].

[SPContentDatabaseSequence] [DEBUG] [6/4/2010 2:18:38 PM]: Invalidating WYukon signature in SPContentDatabase Name=ShareWebDb Parent=SPDatabaseServiceInstance Name=Microsoft##SSEE.

-          ########################################################

-          While running this command for first time, you may encounter the error mentioned
    above (second portion of errors).

In this case you need to still run the same command again. However if you attempt
    to run same command second time, you will get message that the database exists
    already and you need to remove it, however it may not appear in central
    administration's content databases section for the web applications.

In such situation you need to run following command:

stsadm -o deletecontentdb -url
    http://serverURL -databasename DBNAME

This will remove the unsuccessful attempted database. Now you should be able to run
    addcontentdb command again. Should you run into same error, try running same series
    of commands again. (i.e. addcontentdb and then deletecontentdb)

-           

-          We ran the command again it completed successfully

-          This time it completed successfully.

-          Tried to browse http://companyweb it came successfully.

-           

-          Run Fix my network wizard it completed successfully.

-          Run Internet Address Management Wizard

-          It completed Successfully

-           

-          Tried to browse http://companyweb it works

-          Tried to browse https://remote.Domain.uk it works

• Marked as answer by Paul A Jones Tuesday, July 13, 2010 10:08 PM
    Tuesday, July 13, 2010 10:08 PM

All replies

• You should also have a SharePoint backup.

Companyweb Inaccessible After Sharepoint 3.0 Service Pack 2 - The
    Official SBS Blog - Site Home - TechNet Blogs:
    http://blogs.technet.com/b/sbs/archive/2009/05/06/companyweb-inaccessible-after-sharepoint-3-0-service-pack-2.aspx

Did you review this?
    Thursday, June 03, 2010 2:32 AM
  • I have a sp backup in the built in windows backup app, admin console, backup, restore, restore type - application, sharepoint, 1st june 2010 11pm, same location - I have tried to restore from it but step 1 fails with a message (make sure application writer is running), all other steps complete but there is no change on the server.

The command mentioned in the article has already been run and fails (3 of 4 fail):

psconfig -cmd upgrade -inplace b2b -force

C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\Web Server Extensions\12\BIN>psconfig -cmd upgrade -inplace b2b -force
    Copyright (C) Microsoft Corporation 2005. All rights reserved.ion 12.0.6500.5000

Performing configuration task 1 of 4
    Initializing SharePoint Products and Technologies upgrade...

Successfully initialized SharePoint Products and Technologies upgrade.

Performing configuration task 2 of 4
    Initiating the upgrade sequence...

Failed to initiate the upgrade sequence.

An exception of type Microsoft.SharePoint.Administration.SPUpdatedConcurrencyException was thrown.  Additional exception information: An update conflict has occurred, and you must re
    ry this action. The object SPConfigurationDatabase Name=SharePoint_Config_29c26fca-17b8-48c1-9704-b869932abcb6 Parent=SPDatabaseServiceInstance Name=Microsoft##SSEE is being updated
     SP\itsupport, in the PSCONFIG process, on machine SP-SERVER.  View the tracing log for more information about the conflict.

Total number of configuration settings run: 2
    Total number of successful configuration settings: 1
    Total number of unsuccessful configuration settings: 2
    Successfully stopped the configuration of SharePoint Products and Technologies.
    Configuration of SharePoint Products and Technologies failed.  Configuration must be performed before you use SharePoint Products and Technologies.  For further details, see the diag
    stic log located at C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\Web Server Extensions\12\LOGS\PSCDiagnostics_6_3_2010_6_43_44_488_200113732.log and the application event log.

The link you mention did let me open the sp DB in SQL studio (I forgot about the random string you have to use to connect to a sp internal DB) but that also doesnt help as ther DB is not read only.

Thursday, June 03, 2010 5:44 AM
  • Support case opened with MS, will report back with solution.

call back within 2 hours.

Thursday, June 03, 2010 8:38 AM
  • Paul, any resolution to this?
    -Kevin Weilbacher (SBS MVP) "The days pass by so quickly now, the nights are seldom long"
    Monday, June 14, 2010 2:27 AM
  • We eventually resolved the issue, as there was no critical dat ain the site (just customisations which can be redone) we rolled right back and got everything back online. Heres the final summery email from product support explaining the steps.

It was my pleasure to assist you with your “Unable to Browse SharePoint Site http://companyweb” issue on case NO. 110060329857382.

I am providing you with a summary of the key points of the case for your records. If you have any questions please feel free to call me; my contact information is listed below.

Issue:               Unable to Browse SharePoint Site http://companyweb after installing Custom Workflow and hotfix 968857.

Cause:             Possibly Sharepoint Configuration database got corrupt.

Resolution \ Troubleshooting Steps:

-          Create a new SharePoint Farm on the server.

-          Followed the steps below

-          Took Backup of ShareWebDb from SQL

-          Deleted the following Database from SQL

-          SharePoint_AdminContent Database

-          SharePoint_Config_29c26fca-17b8-48c1-9704-b869932abcb6

-           

-          Took backup of Registry :

-          Deleted :

-          HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Shared Tools\Web Server Extensions\12.0\Secure\ConfigDB\DSN  

-           

-          Modified:

-          HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Shared Tools\Web Server Extensions\12.0\WSS\ServerRole 

-          Change Value from ‘SINGLESERVER’    TO ‘WFE’

-           

-          Deleted: IIS Web application

-          SBS SharePoint

-           

-          Deleted: Application pool

-          SBS Sharepoint AppPool

-           

-          "Run the SharePoint Products and Technologies Configuration Wizard now"

-          is checked and click "Close"

-          Click Next

-          Click Yes to the services restart warning

-          Choose "No, I want to create a new server farm" and click Next

-          Enter the following on the Specify Configuration Database Settings page and click

-          next:

-          Database Server == SERVERNAME\Microsoft##SSEE

-          Database Name == SharePoint_Config_29c26fca-17b8-48c1-9704-b869932abcb6

-          Username == Domain\AdminUser

-          Password == Your Password

-          Accept the default of NTLM and click Next

-          Click Next on the Advanced Settings page

-          Click Finish

-           

-          Wizard completed successfully.

-          We were able to browse SharePoint Central Admin website.

-           

-          Created a new Web application “SBS SharePoint” with application pool “SBS Sharepoint AppPool” using Network Services.

-          Port = 80

-          Hostheader = Companyweb

-          Url = http://companyweb

-          Database name= Temp

-           

-          Removed the Temp DB from SBS SharePoint  using SharePoint Central Admin

-           

-          Using STSADM.exe added ContentDB

-           

-          STSADM.exe –o addcontentdb  -url http://companyweb –databasename ShareWebDb

-          The wizard failed  with error:

[SPHierarchyManager] [DEBUG] [6/4/2010 2:18:38 PM]: SPTree Value=SPContentDatabase Name=ShareWebDb Parent=SPDatabaseServiceInstance Name=Microsoft##SSEE IsRoot=True.

[SPHierarchyManager] [DEBUG] [6/4/2010 2:18:38 PM]: 1/1 root trees in cache.

[SPManager] [DEBUG] [6/4/2010 2:18:38 PM]: SPTree Value=SPContentDatabase Name=ShareWebDb Parent=SPDatabaseServiceInstance Name=Microsoft##SSEE IsGrown=False IsRoot=True IsLeaf=True.

[SPManager] [DEBUG] [6/4/2010 2:18:38 PM]: Using cached [SPContentDatabase Name=ShareWebDb Parent=SPDatabaseServiceInstance Name=Microsoft##SSEE] NeedsUpgrade value: True.

[SPManager] [DEBUG] [6/4/2010 2:18:38 PM]: Upgrading [SPContentDatabase Name=ShareWebDb Parent=SPDatabaseServiceInstance Name=Microsoft##SSEE].

[SPContentDatabaseSequence] [DEBUG] [6/4/2010 2:18:38 PM]: Invalidating WYukon signature in SPContentDatabase Name=ShareWebDb Parent=SPDatabaseServiceInstance Name=Microsoft##SSEE.

-          While running this command for first time, you may encounter the error mentioned
    above (second portion of errors).

In this case you need to still run the same command again. However if you attempt
    to run same command second time, you will get message that the database exists
    already and you need to remove it, however it may not appear in central
    administration's content databases section for the web applications.

In such situation you need to run following command:

stsadm -o deletecontentdb -url
    http://serverURL -databasename DBNAME

This will remove the unsuccessful attempted database. Now you should be able to run
    addcontentdb command again. Should you run into same error, try running same series
    of commands again. (i.e. addcontentdb and then deletecontentdb)

-           

-          We ran the command again it completed successfully

-          This time it completed successfully.

-          Tried to browse http://companyweb it came successfully.

-           

-          Run Fix my network wizard it completed successfully.

-          Run Internet Address Management Wizard

-          It completed Successfully

-           

-          Tried to browse http://companyweb it works

-          Tried to browse https://remote.Domain.uk it works

• Marked as answer by Paul A Jones Tuesday, July 13, 2010 10:08 PM
    Tuesday, July 13, 2010 10:08 PM
  • Thanks, Paul. Glad you got your issue resolved. And thanks for posting the details of the resolution.
    -Kevin Weilbacher (SBS MVP)
    "The days pass by so quickly now, the nights are seldom long"
    KW Support MVP Blog
    MVP's do NOT work for Microsoft. We give our time freely to support the SBS community!
    Tuesday, July 13, 2010 11:17 PM
  • Hi All.

I followed the above instructions and noticed at the time that there appeared to be a couple of bits of information missing. (Notably the port number of the site as 4721 and the path to the site)

I've just had a copy sent out from MSCTS which I'll add here

Please find below the steps to delete and re-create a new farm :

1) Open SQL Management Studio Express as Administrator

2) Delete SharePoint_AdminContent

3) Delete SharePoint_Config

4) Open IIS, take a backup of IIS

5) Delete SharePoint Central Admin Web site

6) Delete SBS SharePoint Web application

7) Delete SharePoint Central Admin V3 (Application Pool)

Open Registry:

Go to: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Shared Tools\Web Server Extensions\12.0\Secure\ConfigDB

Delete DSN Key

Go To: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Shared Tools\Web Server Extensions\12.0\WSS

Modify: ServerRole From SINGLESERVER TO WFE

NOW WE CAN CREATE A NEW SharePoint FARM

1) "Run the SharePoint Products and Technologies Configuration Wizard now"

2) Click Next

3) Click Yes to the services restart warning

4) Choose "No, I want to create a new server farm" and click Next

5) Enter the following on the Specify Configuration Database Settings page and click

6) next:

7) Database Server == SERVERNAME\Microsoft##SSEE

8) Database Name == SharePoint_Config_29c26fca-17b8-48c1-9704-b869932abcb6

9) Username == Domain\AdminUser

10) Password == Your Password

11) Accept the default of NTLM and click Next, Specify port number as 4721

12) Click Next on the Advanced Settings page

13) Click Finish

NOW Since the new SharePoint Farm is Ready, we can create a new SBS SharePoint Web application and attach our ShareWebDB

1) Open Central Administration > Application Management > Create or Extend Web Application > Create New Web Application

IIS Web Site

a) Create a new IIS web site: SBS SharePoint

b) Port = 80

c) Host Header= Companyweb

d) Path: C:\Program Files\Windows Small Business Server\Bin\webapp\InternalWebSite

Security Configuration Leave As default

Load Balanced URL = http://companyweb:80

Application Pool

a) Create new application pool Application pool name SBS SharePoint AppPool

b) Predefined Network Service

Database Name and Authentication

a) Database Server: ServerName\Microsoft##SSEE

b) Database Name: Temp

Click OK Now

(This Should Create a new SBS SharePoint Web Application for you and we only need to Attach our Database back to the new Web Application)

2) Now We need to Remove the Temp Database do do this

3) Central Administration > Application Management > Content Databases

a) Select Web Application on Right = SBS SharePoint

b) Select Temp . after this , make sure you can browse Companyweb , with new temp databases

c) Remove these Temp content database

d) Click on Ok to the warning and then OK

Open Command Prompt with Elevated Admin rights and go to

C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\Web Server Extensions\12\BIN

Use: Stsadm.exe –o AddContentDB –url http://companyweb –databasename ShareWebDb (make sure you don’t copy-paste the command)

4) Correct the URL settings:

a) Central Administration > Operations > Alternate Access Mappings Select “SBS SharePoint”

b) Edit Public URL

c) Default = https://Remote.domain.com:987

d) Intranet= http://Companyweb

Run IAMW* on the Server OR Else Apply the Correct Certificate manually on SBS SharePoint

You should now be able to browse your http://companyweb

*FYI The “Set up your Internet address” option opens the Internet Address Management Wizard, also known as the IAMW. ;)

http://blogs.technet.com/b/sbs/archive/2008/10/15/introducing-the-internet-address-management-wizard-part-1-of-3.aspx

Link back to my issue (if your like me and finding pieces of the puzzle all over the web) :)

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/smallbusinessserver/thread/6c0f728b-1b45-448a-904c-29d1383fabda

• Edited by rod_bunny Friday, January 13, 2012 4:49 AM
    Friday, January 13, 2012 4:48 AM