none
March upgrade does not go through - exception occurred when trying to issue security token

Question

• I applied March update for sharepoint 2013 environment (multi  machine architecure 1 for SP 1 for SQL 2012), then triggered the sharepoint config wizard which is failing with the following message:

"An exception of typye Microsoft.sharepoint.PostsetupConfiguration.PostsetupConfigurationTaskException was thrown."

In event viewer I have the following errors

An exception occurred when trying to issue security token: There was no endpoint listening at http://localhost:32843/SecurityTokenServiceApplication/securitytoken.svc/actas that could accept the message. This is often caused by an incorrect address or SOAP action. See InnerException, if present, for more details..

Thanks for your help

Tuesday, September 10, 2013 8:03 AM

Answers

• their is nothing with to do with Sharepoint Web Services Root, it should be stop on all servers. I think restart the STS pool will fix your issue.

Anywho you have to run the config wizard when you deploy CU, it will tell you if its sucessfull or not?

I had the issues in SP2010 and STS AppPool reseting fix over there, i believe same should apply to sp2013.

Also consider to refresh the config cache.

thanks

=ws

Thanks -WS SharePoint administrator, MCITP(SharePoint 2010)

Wednesday, September 11, 2013 10:13 PM

All replies

• Can you browse to the address? http://localhost:32843/SecurityTokenServiceApplication/securitytoken.svc

You should see some XML output

MCITP-EA | "Never test how deep the water is with both feet"

Wednesday, September 11, 2013 2:38 PM
  • Hi, I tried, getting the same error when  browse the shqrepoint site which ius

"This page can't be displayed"

Wednesday, September 11, 2013 5:20 PM
  • Is the STS application pool started / running?

MCITP-EA | "Never test how deep the water is with both feet"

Wednesday, September 11, 2013 5:44 PM
  • I have 4 applications pool

SecurityTokenServiceApplicationPool
    SharePoint Central Administration v4
    SharePoint - dev.SPS2K13.salam.net80
    SharePoint Web Services Root

only the last one was stopped, I started it, then I noticed that WWW was stopped as well, started it as well and browsed again, what a surprise, admin site, root site display correctly. Thqnks for the hint.

How can I check what went wrong and if there is something missing that was not configured correctly? I need to apply also the August update (this isd a recommandation from VS MS support guy? should I goi ahead with this update or discover or dig what went wrong with the march update by the config wizard?

So many thanks 

Wednesday, September 11, 2013 7:02 PM
  • their is nothing with to do with Sharepoint Web Services Root, it should be stop on all servers. I think restart the STS pool will fix your issue.

Anywho you have to run the config wizard when you deploy CU, it will tell you if its sucessfull or not?

I had the issues in SP2010 and STS AppPool reseting fix over there, i believe same should apply to sp2013.

Also consider to refresh the config cache.

thanks

=ws

Thanks -WS SharePoint administrator, MCITP(SharePoint 2010)

Wednesday, September 11, 2013 10:13 PM