none
How to Recover an Exchange 2010 Mailbox using DPM 2010

Question

• I'm looking for a good step-by-step guide that explains how to recover individual mailbox items using DPM 2010 and Exchange 2010.  The "Protecting Exchange Server with System Center Data Protection Manager 2010" guide just glosses over it without giving detailed steps as does the TechNet article "How to Recover a Mailbox".  I realize that in Exchange 2010, the default is 14 days for data recovery, so recovering mailbox items should be rare.  At any event, I'm would like to test the process.

I realize that I need to restore the entire mailbox database, but if I'm short on disk space on the mail server, I have the option in DPM 2010 to recover the mailbox database to a network location or to tape.  If I choose a network location, I would also create a recovery database on the Exchange 2010 server.  As I understand it, the recovery database needs to reside on the Exchange server, whereas the DPM restore would reside in the network location I had previously specified.  Once the mailbox database is restored to this network location, the following PS command will create a recovery database on the Exchange server:

new-mailboxdatabase -Recovery -Name RDB -Server MBX1 -EdbFilePath "D:\RDB\Database\RDB.edb" -LogFolderPath "E:\RDB\RD100\Logs"

This I presume creates a blank recovery database location on the Exchange server.  I would then need to issue the PS restore command, “Restore-Mailbox -Identity usera -RecoveryDatabase “RDB” (assuming the name of the user mailbox is usera) to restore the mailbox database recovered by DPM from the specified network location.... BUT how does this restore-mailbox command know to pull the mailbox from this network location over to this recovery database on the Exchange server?

Another option if all of this has to reside on the Exchange server is to attach a large USB drive to the Exchange server to use for the recovery database.  The pain is that I am running Exchange 2010 as a Hyper-V and so I would have to go through some steps to attach this drive to the Hyper-V which is a bit of a pain.

Some clarification would be much appreciated... I'll then go and test it all out.

Thanks!

• Edited by rosenstc Wednesday, November 10, 2010 11:41 PM typo
    Tuesday, November 09, 2010 8:06 PM

Answers

• This proces allows you to recover an Exchange mailbox to another folder in an existing mailbox.

1. Create Restore location, I.e. c:\restore
    2. From the Exchange powershell create a recovery database. I.e. new-mailboxdatabase –recovery “recoverydb” -ebfilepath “c:\restore\NameOfDatabaseEDBFile,edb” –logfolderpath “c:\restore” –server ExchangeServerName
    3. Choose the recovery point in DPM to restore the database to
    4. Step through prompts to restore to alternate location, choosing the restore location on the Exchange 2010 server
    5. Run eseutil to repair edb restored database. I.e. eseutil /p “c:\restore\NameOfRestoredEDB.edb”
    6. Mount the recovery database
    7. Restore items
    a) Full mailbox restore: From the Exchange powershell run the following command
    Restore-mailbox –identity username –recoverydatabase NameOfRecoveryDatabase
    b) Restore mailbox contents to a folder: From the Exchange powershell run the following command
    Restore-mailbox –identity username –recoverydatabase NameOfRecoveryDatabase –targetfolder “RestoredEmail”

Hope this is helpful.

• Marked as answer by rosenstc Saturday, November 13, 2010 11:49 PM
    Thursday, November 11, 2010 2:10 AM

All replies

• This proces allows you to recover an Exchange mailbox to another folder in an existing mailbox.

1. Create Restore location, I.e. c:\restore
    2. From the Exchange powershell create a recovery database. I.e. new-mailboxdatabase –recovery “recoverydb” -ebfilepath “c:\restore\NameOfDatabaseEDBFile,edb” –logfolderpath “c:\restore” –server ExchangeServerName
    3. Choose the recovery point in DPM to restore the database to
    4. Step through prompts to restore to alternate location, choosing the restore location on the Exchange 2010 server
    5. Run eseutil to repair edb restored database. I.e. eseutil /p “c:\restore\NameOfRestoredEDB.edb”
    6. Mount the recovery database
    7. Restore items
    a) Full mailbox restore: From the Exchange powershell run the following command
    Restore-mailbox –identity username –recoverydatabase NameOfRecoveryDatabase
    b) Restore mailbox contents to a folder: From the Exchange powershell run the following command
    Restore-mailbox –identity username –recoverydatabase NameOfRecoveryDatabase –targetfolder “RestoredEmail”

Hope this is helpful.

• Marked as answer by rosenstc Saturday, November 13, 2010 11:49 PM
    Thursday, November 11, 2010 2:10 AM
  • Thanks for the info... I have a few questions regarding your steps.  Basically, I'm trying to figure out how to recover a single message in a user's mailbox using DPM 2010. 

It sounds like the entire mailbox database must be restored to the recovery location on the Exchange 2010 server indicated in step 1.  The recovery database must reside on the Exchange 2010 server and it needs to have the full mailbox DB restored to it.   The reason for this question is that our mailbox database resides on very expensive drives and I may not have enough space for two database copies.  But, I suppose I can always add a large USB drive to the Exchange 2010 server (Hyper-V) to be used for the recovery database space.      

In step 7.  I presume you choose either a) or b)?  In my case I would like to restore the user's specific message and merge that into the user's actual mailbox rather than to another folder.  How do you restore just the single message? 

On a side note, since it seems like this process very involved and I really should rely upon the 'Single Item Recovery' features in Exchange 2010 in cases where users do a hard delete of mail items.  By default the DeletedItemRetention is set for 14 days.  I may want to up this to 45 days and also enable Single Item Recovery for 45 days as well. 

• Edited by rosenstc Friday, November 12, 2010 8:02 PM typo
    Friday, November 12, 2010 7:35 PM
  • Hi

When you restore excahnge you must restore the database to the exchage server. You can't restore a single mail/message with DPM2010 you must do that in Exchange management GUI or PowerShell depending on your Exchange enviroment.

If you want your users to be able to restore single messages look at this link how to enable the feature in your Outlook clients: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa997155(EXCHG.80).aspx

BR

Robert Hedblom

Check out my DPM blog @ http://robertanddpm.blogspot.com

Friday, November 12, 2010 10:12 PM
  • Thanks Robert.  I can get an inexpensive USB drive to attach to the Exchange 2010 Hyper-V instance as recovery database storage space.

The article you referenced with regard to recovering hard-deleted items does not appear to be applicable to Outlook 2010.  I don't have the registery entry for:  HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Exchange\Client\Options.  I believe you need to perform Single Item Recovery.

With regard to restoring a mail item from the recovery database, I'm trying to find out the process for searching and restoring specific mail items from the recovery database.

I found this TechNet article: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ee332351.aspx that seems to be what I am looking for:

This example restores only the e-mail messages that meet the following conditions:

• Subject line contains the word Meeting
    • Message body contains the phrase Halo 3
    • Message exists in either the Inbox or Calendar folder

This example assumes that the mailbox is in English.

Restore-Mailbox -Identity Scott -RecoveryDatabase RDB1 -SubjectKeywords "Meeting" -ContentKeywords "Halo 3" -IncludeFolders \Inbox,\Calendar

• Edited by rosenstc Friday, November 12, 2010 11:15 PM additional info
    Friday, November 12, 2010 10:48 PM
  • I was able to restore the user's mailbox to a recovery database on the Exchange 2010 server.  The recoverdb is in an unmounted state.  But when I try:

eseutil /mh “c:\restore\NameOfRestoredEDB.edb” I get an error that the file is locked, Jet error -1032.  I should have to restart the Information Store, but that cleared it up when I did that. After that, it did show the DB in a slean shutdown state.

I restored the missing mail item with the following example:

Restore-Mailbox -Identity Scott -RecoveryDatabase RDB1 -SubjectKeywords "Meeting" -ContentKeywords "Halo 3" -IncludeFolders \Inbox,\Calendar

So, this will recover soft-deleted mail items, but not items in the Recoverable Items\Deletions I suspect.  For this, I should go through the process of Single Item Restore.

• Edited by rosenstc Saturday, November 13, 2010 12:26 AM more info
    Saturday, November 13, 2010 12:00 AM
  • Step 5:  Run eseutil to repair edb restored database. I.e. eseutil /p “c:\restore\NameOfRestoredEDB.edb”

This does a hard repair of the database and basically throws away any of the logs that were restored. That pretty much negates the whole restore.

If a Restore.env file exists, use Eseutil /C. Please see the following TechNet article for more information: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa997478(v=exchg.65).aspx

If a Restore.env does not exist. use Eseutil /R. Please see the following TechNet article for more information: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa998074(v=exchg.65).aspx

Wednesday, August 08, 2012 5:05 PM
  • Hi,

Typo for -ebfilepath ... should be  -edbfilepath

So new-mailboxdatabase –recovery "recoverydb"” -edbfilepath "c:\restore\NameOfDatabaseEDBFile.edb"” –logfolderpath "c:\restore" –server ExchangeServerName

J

Wednesday, February 13, 2013 9:52 AM