none
SharePoint KB2580174 alerts

Question

• Hi

I am getting regular SharePoint KB2580174 alerts. I have followed article KB2580174 and have run the

PSConfig.exe -cmd upgrade -inplace b2b -force -cmd applicationcontent -install -cmd installfeatures

command twice but no luck and I am still getting the alerts.

What can I do to fix this?

Thanks

Regards

Sunday, October 02, 2011 12:22 AM

Answers

• Ok, I figure 2 things to be noticed here:

1. SharePoint Event ID 2137 for Drives running out of space:

This is expected if you are meeting the trigger as per http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ff805057.aspx 

There is a health analyzer rule under Monitoring > Availability category "Drives are running out of free space" which acts as per below:

This rule checks disk space as a proportion of the RAM on the computer. When disk space is less than twice the RAM on the computer, the health rule triggers an  error. When disk space is less than five times the RAM on the computer, the health rule triggers a warning. Accordingly, server computers with lots of RAM are more likely to experience a failure of this rule.

That means if you have 8GB of RAM, then it triggers warning if you have less than 40 GB  and triggers Error if you have less than 16 GB on System partition. This is by design from SharePoint perspective. You can workaround this issue by disabling this rule from SharePoint Central Admin > Monitoring > Health Analyzer > Review rule definitions > under Availability > 'Drives are running out of free space'

2. The second piece here from SBS perspective, which is  "Immediate action may be required due to a SharePoint error" on other alerts which is part of UpdateRollup1Alerts. Here, we are simply checking the event ID 2137 to trigger the above alert. We are doing this because we expect 2137 to be something like this:

The SharePoint Health Analyzer detected an error.  Databases require upgrade or not supported.
    The following databases require upgrade because their versions are older than the backwards compatible range:

We need to address this other variation of Event ID 2137 (drive running out of free space). I'll forward this to relevant people in the product group.

For the time being, if Event ID 2137 on your server talks about 'drives running out of space' then you can check your options in point no 1.

Ketan Thakkar | Microsoft Online Community Support
    Thursday, October 27, 2011 10:14 AM
  • To conclude, the KB2580174 only discusses about the most common instances of SharePoint health analyzer events out of many. You need to review the actual alert and decide what needs to be done.

There is a link about all alerts under 'More Information' of the KB2580174:

For more information on the SharePoint Foundation 2010 health alerts:
    http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ff686788.aspx

Monday, October 31, 2011 6:55 AM
  • KB2580174 is updated

SharePoint Foundation 2010 performs a comprehensive set of health checks. Under certain operation conditions, you may see some of these alerts on what appears to be a healthty Small Business Server 2011 Standard. There are several alerts that can be generated by these health checks, you should check the event description and the link provided with the event before proceeding. Most alerts are discussed here: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ff686788.aspx

Wednesday, November 02, 2011 8:06 AM

All replies

• Hi, you can contact our free support if you are experiencing the similar situation with the following one:

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/smallbusinessserver/thread/955fbf8b-42a8-4266-aa3a-650d655f11f4

Thanks.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    Monday, October 03, 2011 3:44 AM
  • It will take about 24 hours for the alerts to go away.
    Monday, October 03, 2011 5:03 AM
  • It will take about 24 hours for the alerts to go away.
    I have done the above on Monday around 9am, and I am still getting the error in my logs 2 days later.  Is there something that I am missing? 
    Wednesday, October 05, 2011 3:47 PM
  • Did the command execution result in successfull completetion?

If you ran it twice, do you remember what the response was for either or both of the commands?

Some details can be found here;

http://blogs.technet.com/b/sbs/archive/2011/05/24/you-must-manually-run-psconfig-after-installing-sharepoint-2010-patches.aspx

/kj
    Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    Wednesday, October 05, 2011 4:16 PM
  • Did the command execution result in successfull completetion?

If you ran it twice, do you remember what the response was for either or both of the commands?

Some details can be found here;

http://blogs.technet.com/b/sbs/archive/2011/05/24/you-must-manually-run-psconfig-after-installing-sharepoint-2010-patches.aspx

/kj
    I ran it once myself, and it successfully updated all 6 components.
    Wednesday, October 05, 2011 4:33 PM
  • Are you still getting the alerts / event log entries? If so, post the most recent ones please.
    /kj
    Friday, October 07, 2011 4:02 PM
  • Yes.  It has showed up every day in the Detailed Network Report.

Immediate action may be required due to a SharePoint error. See KB2580174 for details

Friday, October 07, 2011 4:18 PM
  • Can you go to the SBS 2011 application event log and look for the 'error' that is being logged? It should be just after midnight local time and should list sharepoint as the source.

Event ID number and the text might be usefull.

/kj
    Friday, October 07, 2011 9:14 PM
  • There is nothing in the SBS Application log.  I patched my server last night and rebooted, hoping this error would go away.  This morning, same thing:

Other Alerts

Error

Active alerts on the network: 1

Alert Title

Computer Name

Last Occurence

Total Occurences

Immediate action may be required due to a SharePoint error. See KB2580174 for details

SBS.contoso.local

14/10/2011 8:00:01 AM

Friday, October 14, 2011 4:38 PM
  • Do you have below event in the application event log? if so, please post complete event.

Log Name:      Application
    Source:        Microsoft-SharePoint Products-SharePoint Foundation
    Date:          6/30/2011 12:00:06 AM
    Event ID:      2137
    Task Category: Health
    Level:         Error

Monday, October 24, 2011 9:54 AM
  • I am having the exact same issue as FrostyFire.  I do have the event you mention, KetanT.  It is as follows:

Log Name:      Application
    Source:        Microsoft-SharePoint Products-SharePoint Foundation
    Date:          10/26/2011 1:00:00 PM
    Event ID:      2137
    Task Category: Health
    Level:         Error
    Keywords:     
    User:          TOPFLIGHT\spfarm
    Computer:      SBS2011.topflight.local
    Description:
    The SharePoint Health Analyzer detected an error.  Drives are running out of free space.
    Available drive space is less than twice the value of physical memory. This is dangerous because it does not provide enough room for a full memory dump with continued operation. It also could cause problems with the Virtual Memory swap file:  (SBS2011 - C:\).
    Examine the failing servers and delete old logs or free space on the drives. For more information about this rule, see "http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkID=142688".

Event Xml:
    <Event xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event">
      <System>
        <Provider Name="Microsoft-SharePoint Products-SharePoint Foundation" Guid="{6FB7E0CD-52E7-47DD-997A-241563931FC2}" />
        <EventID>2137</EventID>
        <Version>14</Version>
        <Level>2</Level>
        <Task>8</Task>
        <Opcode>0</Opcode>
        <Keywords>0x4000000000000000</Keywords>
        <TimeCreated SystemTime="2011-10-26T17:00:00.532955800Z" />
        <EventRecordID>112686</EventRecordID>
        <Correlation ActivityID="{01A1BABD-910D-4B7D-8496-7DEA48414A37}" />
        <Execution ProcessID="15848" ThreadID="15400" />
        <Channel>Application</Channel>
        <Computer>SBS2011.topflight.local</Computer>
        <Security UserID="S-1-5-21-3439892931-3736458536-2676917916-1157" />
      </System>
      <EventData>
        <Data Name="string0">Drives are running out of free space.
    Available drive space is less than twice the value of physical memory. This is dangerous because it does not provide enough room for a full memory dump with continued operation. It also could cause problems with the Virtual Memory swap file:  (SBS2011 - C:\).
    Examine the failing servers and delete old logs or free space on the drives. For more information about this rule, see "http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkID=142688".
    </Data>
      </EventData>
    </Event>

Wednesday, October 26, 2011 6:54 PM
  • I have the same event as above, saying that I am out of space, but that error was happening before this issue.  Definitely not out of space.  I researched the error above and it's an erroneous error in SBS 2011 apparently.  I think we are digressing. 
    Wednesday, October 26, 2011 9:40 PM
  • Ok, I figure 2 things to be noticed here:

1. SharePoint Event ID 2137 for Drives running out of space:

This is expected if you are meeting the trigger as per http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ff805057.aspx 

There is a health analyzer rule under Monitoring > Availability category "Drives are running out of free space" which acts as per below:

This rule checks disk space as a proportion of the RAM on the computer. When disk space is less than twice the RAM on the computer, the health rule triggers an  error. When disk space is less than five times the RAM on the computer, the health rule triggers a warning. Accordingly, server computers with lots of RAM are more likely to experience a failure of this rule.

That means if you have 8GB of RAM, then it triggers warning if you have less than 40 GB  and triggers Error if you have less than 16 GB on System partition. This is by design from SharePoint perspective. You can workaround this issue by disabling this rule from SharePoint Central Admin > Monitoring > Health Analyzer > Review rule definitions > under Availability > 'Drives are running out of free space'

2. The second piece here from SBS perspective, which is  "Immediate action may be required due to a SharePoint error" on other alerts which is part of UpdateRollup1Alerts. Here, we are simply checking the event ID 2137 to trigger the above alert. We are doing this because we expect 2137 to be something like this:

The SharePoint Health Analyzer detected an error.  Databases require upgrade or not supported.
    The following databases require upgrade because their versions are older than the backwards compatible range:

We need to address this other variation of Event ID 2137 (drive running out of free space). I'll forward this to relevant people in the product group.

For the time being, if Event ID 2137 on your server talks about 'drives running out of space' then you can check your options in point no 1.

Thursday, October 27, 2011 10:14 AM
  • The first one is bogus and normally we only see it on a machine with lots of ram.

I'd go into the SharePoint health analyzer and shut it up.

Thursday, October 27, 2011 2:17 PM
  • To conclude, the KB2580174 only discusses about the most common instances of SharePoint health analyzer events out of many. You need to review the actual alert and decide what needs to be done.

There is a link about all alerts under 'More Information' of the KB2580174:

For more information on the SharePoint Foundation 2010 health alerts:
    http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ff686788.aspx

Monday, October 31, 2011 6:55 AM
  • KB2580174 is updated

SharePoint Foundation 2010 performs a comprehensive set of health checks. Under certain operation conditions, you may see some of these alerts on what appears to be a healthty Small Business Server 2011 Standard. There are several alerts that can be generated by these health checks, you should check the event description and the link provided with the event before proceeding. Most alerts are discussed here: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ff686788.aspx

Wednesday, November 02, 2011 8:06 AM
  • Hi Susan

I am getting this error as I have 32GB of Ram in the machine, and Dell Partitionsed the C drive to only 120GB (with 55GB free) (all data files for exchange, users, WSUS, sharepoint moved to D drive 480GB)

So it makes sense I get this error. I am going to followoption 1 stated by Ketan_T. However I also did a load of Windows Updates this morning, so I am unsure if SharePoint updated. Will I get a different Application error (different to Drive space error) if it is a case of I need to run PSConfig? or?

Also if I make this drive space error go away by doing Option 1, and I still get the error will this mean I need to run PSConfig?

Any advice on understanding this error of many meaning would be greatly appreciated

Tris

Wednesday, April 03, 2013 9:17 PM