none
Failure WSUS installation Pre-loaded with upgrades.

Question

• I need to install WSUS and in order to avoid having to download all the updates from Microsoft I copied the WSUS installation folder from a friend. When I install the role on Windows 2008 R2 and tell him to use the previously copied folder with the updates and the database the installation fails. What should I do?
    Monday, September 09, 2013 9:43 PM

Answers

• You should have copied only the WSUS content directory. Delete the database and re-run postinstall so that you can create your own fresh DB, and point WSUS to use the copied content directory. That way you'll have your own metadata, and WSUS should pick up any needed content from the content directory.
    • Marked as answer by Wrio Friday, September 13, 2013 11:58 AM
    Monday, September 09, 2013 10:08 PM
  • Even with copying the \WSUSContent folder from another system, there's still the question around configuration of Products / Classifications / Languages, plus the updates that will be approved on the new system and how all of that impacts the files that are actually needed.

Two specific issues will arise to be aware of:

• Some files will be missing from the new system. Those will be the files associated with updates approved on the new system that were not approved on the source system. How many updates are involved will be significant, as will the methodology you use to actually choose which updates to approve. It's entirely possible that you transfer 10GB of files from a source system, and then approve sufficient updates to trigger another 20GB-30GB of downloads.
    • Some files will exist that are entirely not needed. After performing the routine maintenance task of declining unneeded/superseded updates, you should run the Server Cleanup Wizard with the "Delete unneeded updates.." option to delete those files that are not needed.

Lawrence Garvin, M.S., MCITP:EA, MCDBA, MCSA
    SolarWinds Head Geek
    Microsoft MVP - Software Packaging, Deployment & Servicing (2005-2013)
    My MVP Profile: http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/profile/Lawrence.Garvin
    http://www.solarwinds.com/gotmicrosoft
    The views expressed on this post are mine and do not necessarily reflect the views of SolarWinds.

Tuesday, September 10, 2013 4:29 PM

All replies

• You should have copied only the WSUS content directory. Delete the database and re-run postinstall so that you can create your own fresh DB, and point WSUS to use the copied content directory. That way you'll have your own metadata, and WSUS should pick up any needed content from the content directory.
    • Marked as answer by Wrio Friday, September 13, 2013 11:58 AM
    Monday, September 09, 2013 10:08 PM
  • Even with copying the \WSUSContent folder from another system, there's still the question around configuration of Products / Classifications / Languages, plus the updates that will be approved on the new system and how all of that impacts the files that are actually needed.

Two specific issues will arise to be aware of:

• Some files will be missing from the new system. Those will be the files associated with updates approved on the new system that were not approved on the source system. How many updates are involved will be significant, as will the methodology you use to actually choose which updates to approve. It's entirely possible that you transfer 10GB of files from a source system, and then approve sufficient updates to trigger another 20GB-30GB of downloads.
    • Some files will exist that are entirely not needed. After performing the routine maintenance task of declining unneeded/superseded updates, you should run the Server Cleanup Wizard with the "Delete unneeded updates.." option to delete those files that are not needed.

Lawrence Garvin, M.S., MCITP:EA, MCDBA, MCSA
    SolarWinds Head Geek
    Microsoft MVP - Software Packaging, Deployment & Servicing (2005-2013)
    My MVP Profile: http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/profile/Lawrence.Garvin
    http://www.solarwinds.com/gotmicrosoft
    The views expressed on this post are mine and do not necessarily reflect the views of SolarWinds.

Tuesday, September 10, 2013 4:29 PM
  • Problem solved, thanks to Ben and Lawrence.
    Friday, September 13, 2013 11:59 AM