none
2012 RDS ignoring GPO settings?

Question

• Hi. We have domain GPO that configures various RDS-related settings, for example session time limits. This works fine for years for 2008 R2 RDS hosts.

However it seems these settings are being ignored on 2012 RDS deployment. When we create Quick RDS deployment, it also creates the session collection. When I go to properties of this session collection, none of the settings from our GPOs are applied.

What's the problem?

Additionally, how can we configure other collection settings like the groups that can connect to the collection via GPO?

Thanks in advance

Friday, October 11, 2013 3:17 PM

Answers

• Hi,

What you are seeing is normal.  The GPO settings will not affect what shows in the Server Manager RDS collection properties.

For Server 2012 RDS where possible you should configure these settings via collection and deployment properties.  If a setting is configured via GPO and via collection/deployment properties the GP setting should take precedence.  I say should because I have only tested a small number of different settings back when Server 2012 was first released, and this behavior is undocumented.

Also, having something set via group policy can conflict with and cause errors when you make RDS settings changes via Server Manager.  For this reason as well as for the sake of simplicity I recommend you configure things via collection and deployment properties only.

In the case of a server that is not part of a collection then you would use group policy to configure RDS settings.

-TP

• Marked as answer by MarkosP Monday, October 14, 2013 10:18 AM
    Friday, October 11, 2013 5:14 PM

All replies

• Have you ran RSOP.msc to verify if there are errors?

Brian

Friday, October 11, 2013 3:46 PM
  • Yes, I did, the settings are listed there as if they are applied.
    Friday, October 11, 2013 4:59 PM
  • Hi,

What you are seeing is normal.  The GPO settings will not affect what shows in the Server Manager RDS collection properties.

For Server 2012 RDS where possible you should configure these settings via collection and deployment properties.  If a setting is configured via GPO and via collection/deployment properties the GP setting should take precedence.  I say should because I have only tested a small number of different settings back when Server 2012 was first released, and this behavior is undocumented.

Also, having something set via group policy can conflict with and cause errors when you make RDS settings changes via Server Manager.  For this reason as well as for the sake of simplicity I recommend you configure things via collection and deployment properties only.

In the case of a server that is not part of a collection then you would use group policy to configure RDS settings.

-TP

• Marked as answer by MarkosP Monday, October 14, 2013 10:18 AM
    Friday, October 11, 2013 5:14 PM
  • Thanks for the reply TP. However I'm really disappointed by this behavior. With 2012 RDS we therefore have to go from centrally managing settings via GPO to managing each individual session collection and RDS deployment.

How's this an improvement for corporate environment?

I thought maybe Powershell would come to a rescue, but you can't configure deployment or collection properties (except the name and description).

Is there really no other way of centrally managing settings? And no, Server Manager GUI doesn't cut it.

Friday, October 11, 2013 5:38 PM
  • Hi,

You can configure the collection and deployment properties via PowerShell:

Remote Desktop Cmdlets in Windows PowerShell

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/jj215451.aspx

Set-RDSessionCollectionConfiguration

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/jj215443.aspx

-TP

Friday, October 11, 2013 6:14 PM