none
Remote Desktop | Clipboard

Question

• Hi All:

I'm seeing an issue for a user that I've never encountered before.

He's running Windows 7 Enterprise (x64) connecting to a Windows 7 Ultimate machine (x86/x64 unknown). When his Remote Desktop client is configured to share the clipboard, the clipboard completely breaks while the session is open.

He can't copy/paste from local -> remote, remote -> local... He can't even copy/paste local -> local! Once the remote session is disconnected, copy/paste from local -> local returns to normal immediately.

Has anyone experienced this? Let me know what additional detail I can provide.

Thanks!

Wednesday, October 12, 2011 5:40 PM

Answers

All replies

• No policy inolved?

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ee791794(WS.10).aspx

Do not allow clipboard redirection

Specifies whether to prevent the sharing of Clipboard contents (Clipboard redirection) between a remote computer and a client computer during a Remote Desktop Services session.

You can use this setting to prevent users from redirecting Clipboard data to and from the remote computer and the local computer. By default, Remote Desktop Services allows Clipboard redirection.

If the status is set to Enabled, users cannot redirect Clipboard data.

If the status is set to Disabled, Remote Desktop Services always allows Clipboard redirection.

If the status is set to Not Configured, Clipboard redirection is not specified at the Group Policy level. However, an administrator can still disable Clipboard redirection by using the Remote Desktop Session Host Configuration tool.

At least Windows XP Professional or Windows Server 2003 family

Virtualization Conference “PubForum 2011 London” November 2011, The Bible of Remote Desktop Services! , Microsoft Virtualization Solutions Day Dublin!
    Thursday, October 13, 2011 3:24 AM
  • The method outlined in the link did not work.

I am running Windows 8.  I recently had to perform a system image restore.  The remote desktop clipboard was working before the image restore.

After the image was restored, the remote desktop clipboard stopped working.

When you CTRL-C in the remote desktop window and then go back to your own desktop to paste the clipboard, there is nothing pasted.  Performing this operation vice versa doesn't work either.

The remote desktop keeps its own clipboard while the local desktop keeps its own clipboard...essentially, having two clipboards.

How do we get it working back to how it was before the image restore?

t1138

Monday, July 29, 2013 11:03 PM