none
Is the print server over-writing client printing preferences with defaults?

Question

• I'm testing a new 2012 R2 print server, and have set the printing defaults by clicking on the printer in Print Management and 'set defaults'.  I used this to set things like double-sided printing etc.

When the printers are added to the test client workstations (manually, not by group policy), we then have to add in some details in printing preferences to authenticate that client to the printer.  A valid access code, and print mailbox that tally with the same settings on the printer.  It's tedious, but that's what our current printers demand.

What's happening with the new 2012 R2 print server in testing is that it seems to be overwriting these authentication preferences and returning all the printing preferences to the defaults set on the print server.

It's likely that this is a feature or setting that I'm just not aware of, could anyone tell me please how to set those printing preferences as 'first time' preferences that can then be edited on the workstation, and persist?

Thursday, April 03, 2014 11:10 AM

Answers

• You are setting the shared queue defaults when using Print Management Set Printing Defaults...  .   I assume you are using the General tab of the printer properties , then clicking Preferences to set the Users defaults with the device specific data.  Normally, once you update user settings on the local client, the default settings from the print server are not honored until you clear the User settings.

If this sounds like what you are doing, the next step would be to validate the local defaults are actually retained.

Alan Morris Windows Printing Team

Thursday, April 03, 2014 7:02 PM
    Answerer

All replies

• You are setting the shared queue defaults when using Print Management Set Printing Defaults...  .   I assume you are using the General tab of the printer properties , then clicking Preferences to set the Users defaults with the device specific data.  Normally, once you update user settings on the local client, the default settings from the print server are not honored until you clear the User settings.

If this sounds like what you are doing, the next step would be to validate the local defaults are actually retained.

Thursday, April 03, 2014 7:02 PM
    Answerer
  • Would you know of any resource where I could learn all the ins and out of printer management in 2012? A blog/a book/MVA course?

I assume you are using the General tab of the printer properties , then clicking Preferences to set the Users defaults with the device specific data. 

There are two ways to open up the Printing Preferences dialogue for shared printers that I'm aware of.  Open the Print Management console, open the print server, and printers.  (1) Right Click on the printer and Set Printing Default or (2) Right Click on the printer, Properties, then from General Tab click Preferences.

Do changes made via both of those routes have the same affect regarding default settings that are given to the client or is there a difference between them?

I have been using method (1) above, but if there's any difference I'd be interested to know.

When it comes to adding the printers to the clients, there are also two options.  (A) Control Panel, Printers, Add Printer, and add from directory.  (B) In Windows Explorer, browse to the print server and double click the printer name to connect it.

Is there any difference between those two routes?  I had been using method (B), and then editing the preferences... when then seemed to be overwritten by the server defaults.  Yesterday I used method (A) and so far the printing preferences for the test clients have not yet been overwritten.

Friday, April 04, 2014 11:50 AM
  • The client setting is the one on the General tab.  If they have admin rights to the printers they can modify the settings on the advanced tab but it will not reset the local defaults.

Either route to the printer should produce the same connection to the share.

Friday, April 04, 2014 2:07 PM
    Answerer
  •   Normally, once you update user settings on the local client, the default settings from the print server are not honored until you clear the User settings.

This is not happening - the updated local printing preferences are not being retained, they are reverting to the defaults from the server.  It's confusing, and inconsistent.  I have one RDS user where the local printing preferences are being maintained, and 4 other pilot users where the preferences are being lost almost as soon as they are set, or certainly after printing one job.

Wednesday, April 09, 2014 10:13 AM