none
MDT 2012 - Failure 9701: Unable to find any version of USMT, unable to perform user state migration. Failed to run the action Restore User State. DNS Record does not exist. (Error: 000025E5; Source: Windows)

Question

• I am having trouble trying to capture a new Windows 8 image with WDT 2012.

My Setup - 

Server 2012
    WDS
    MDT 2012
    Windows 8 ADK
    Hyper-V

I have created a new task and I can get the image to successfully deploy the image to a VM but it seems to fail at the Restore User State task.

Once the install Applications task has finished I added a Suspend task so I could customize the image a little. Upon resuming the task sequence is where the above failure message appears. I can see it gets to the next step (which is 'Restore User State') but that seems to be where is crashes.

Does anyone have any advice on what I might be doing wrong or what I can do to resolve the above issue?

Friday, July 26, 2013 12:54 AM

Answers

• Craig...

1. If you had (or have) WAIK installed, make sure it is completely uninstalled and folders deleted
    2. Make sure you can find the USMT folders in the <DeploymentShare>\Tools\x64 and <DeploymentShare>\Tools\x86 folders
    3. Just disable the Restore User State step (this is just a workaround and not a fix)

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ”

Friday, July 26, 2013 2:09 AM

All replies

• Craig...

1. If you had (or have) WAIK installed, make sure it is completely uninstalled and folders deleted
    2. Make sure you can find the USMT folders in the <DeploymentShare>\Tools\x64 and <DeploymentShare>\Tools\x86 folders
    3. Just disable the Restore User State step (this is just a workaround and not a fix)

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ”

Friday, July 26, 2013 2:09 AM
  • Thanks for responding Frank.

I just found WAIK was still installed on the server. 
    Removing now and updating the share.

I can definitely see the USMT5 folder on the deployment shares so it can't be that.

Question, If I disable the Restore step I'll need to restart the sequence from scratch won't I? 
    First time deploying MDT so am learning as I go.

Also, is the user state capture/restore task only for migrating users? IE. Is it needed for new builds? And will it affect the ability to do a copyProfile when deploying?

• Edited by CraigWorkPAc Friday, July 26, 2013 2:22 AM Added some more details
    Friday, July 26, 2013 2:21 AM
  • WAIK being installed was probably your issue so I wouldn't bother disabling the restore task. It is used to migrate user data, docs, and settings on refreshes, not new builds. It doesn't affect CopyProfile, just note that data will be migrated on refreshes so some aspects may change, ie wallpaper, shortcuts, etc but what gets migrated with USMT can also be configured.

Friday, July 26, 2013 3:03 AM
  • Seems like I got the same error again.

WAIK is definitely uninstalled now.
    USMT5 folders are empty though. Is that normal?
    I left the Restore User State task item enabled too.

Friday, July 26, 2013 6:07 AM
  • No it shouldn't be empty. You can copy the files from

C:\Program Files (x86)\Windows Kits\8.0\Assessment and Deployment Kit\User State Migration Tool\x86 for x86

and

C:\Program Files (x86)\Windows Kits\8.0\Assessment and Deployment Kit\User State Migration Tool\amd64 for amd64

Friday, July 26, 2013 11:11 AM
  • I am having the same issue using Mdt 2013. I am using windows kits/8.1 but there is no user state migration tool listed. Has the location been changed?
    Thursday, December 12, 2013 2:27 PM
  • I was having the same issue and found the fix.  Go into Control Panel --> Programs and Features, change the Windows Assessment and Deployment and select change.  Make sure USMT is checked when going through.  It was not for me, and checking it solved this issue.  The USMT5 folders now have content.
    • Proposed as answer by Weep.133 Tuesday, September 09, 2014 8:52 AM
    • Unproposed as answer by Weep.133 Tuesday, September 09, 2014 8:52 AM
    Monday, December 30, 2013 2:44 PM