none
Upgrading 2008 SP2 to Windows 2008R2 problems

Question

• I'm having issues with making an in-place upgrade of Windows 2008R2. The media is directly from IBM provided with my blade center and I have used it to create new servers, but we've finally got around to upgrading our SP2 servers to R2, thing is when trying to do an upgrade, I receive an error during the expanding files portion. 

Windows cannot install required files. Make sure all files required for installation are available and restart the installation. Error code 0x800700B7

Few things, the machine is offline, it can not and will not connect to the internet by itself. I was looking for an upgrade adviser but I can only seem to find one for Windows 7, not 2K8. If there is one I'll gladly get it moved over to it. 

I'd really like to do an upgrade instead of a fresh install, being that this machine is being used as a test bed to prove that an upgrade can happen. 

I'm short on ideas, I've been reading and so far I've removed from domain, reset all security settings, running it as the administrator, I'm quite lost as to what else to do. 

Any help?

Thanks, 
    Matt 

Wednesday, October 23, 2013 3:39 PM

All replies

• Please run the system update readiness tool.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows7/What-is-the-System-Update-Readiness-Tool?SignedIn=1

Then post the complete contents of;
    %SYSTEMROOT%\Logs\CBS\CheckSUR.log

(also you probably know but if server OS is 32 bit clean install is only option)

Regards, Dave Patrick ....
    Microsoft Certified Professional
    Microsoft MVP [Windows]

Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees , and confers no rights.

Thursday, October 24, 2013 1:59 AM
  • Thanks much for the tip. I'll run that and see what it gives me. Question though, does it require the server to be connected to the internet to run? If so, this won't work for me. Thanks, Matt
    Thursday, October 24, 2013 2:14 AM
  • Good question but I'm pretty sure it doesn't. If repair objects are required checksur.log will tell us and you'll need to download them for the repairs.

Microsoft MVP [Windows]

Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees , and confers no rights.

Thursday, October 24, 2013 2:39 AM
  • Downloaded and installed, the log file you suggest reading states no errors found. 

Looking though at the other log that was created, the CBS log, there are some failed messages in that. 

Does it matter that it's a Hyper-V virtual server? Could it be something within the heartbeat settings or something? 

Monday, October 28, 2013 2:27 PM
  • It may just be bad installation media.

Microsoft MVP [Windows]

Tuesday, October 29, 2013 12:41 AM