none
DirectAccess Hyper-V Manager RPC Server Unavailable Server 2012

Question

• I have a windows 8 enterprise client connected remotely via DirectAccess (server 2012) to a hyper-v server running server 2012.  Both are a member of the domain and when the windows 8 client is on the local LAN, hyper-v management works just as it should.  I can't figure out what is needed to be able to manage virtual machines in Hyper-V manager.  I keep getting RPC server unavailable, unable to establish communication between hyper-v server and my da client. I have also ran the hvremote tool and which didn't seem to do anything, until a bit later I noticed that I shouldn't since the version isn't supported yet for 2012.  I also found an article about Enabling Hyper-V Management through DirectAccess but that article doesn't seem to work or be for server 2012.

Anyone have any ideas?  If its all just client firewall settings I would like to just make a GP for the firewall exceptions so that any other client I want to work I don't have to mess with anything client side.

Thanks!

Friday, February 22, 2013 8:53 PM

Answers

• Probably not related to client firewall as it works on the local LAN. There are many levels that could be getting in your way from outside (Firewalls, IPsec, Etc...). I would probably start traversing every security point in your environment that you hit when going through Direct Access. One of them is most likely your problem.
    Saturday, February 23, 2013 1:37 AM

All replies

• Probably not related to client firewall as it works on the local LAN. There are many levels that could be getting in your way from outside (Firewalls, IPsec, Etc...). I would probably start traversing every security point in your environment that you hit when going through Direct Access. One of them is most likely your problem.
    Saturday, February 23, 2013 1:37 AM
  • any news about that?
    Saturday, July 27, 2013 10:02 PM
  • No actually, this is still an issue.
    Monday, July 29, 2013 1:11 PM
  • What the hell though,... Microsoft will call it an "Answer"... That way "Ted Archer" gets points!

The rest of us have to waste our time looking through his crap while we are searching for real answers, but hey,... "Ted Archer gets points!"

And people wonder why the forums are less useful every day....

Friday, January 24, 2014 11:45 PM
  • I usually only subscribe to a thread for... oh... 3 months before I remove it due to inactivity. So if you would like to contribute any useful input to the conversation and give me more information, I would be happy to help in diagnosing your problem.

Typically when there is no response from the OP for 5 months, things get closed out. There is then a huge parade/celebration where I am awarded my points so the whole world knows that earning virtual kudos is the reason I do this. ;)

Sunday, January 26, 2014 4:00 PM
  • I haven't responded because I had hoped it would have been some simple setting or group policy or firewall rule I was missing and I didn't really have the time to troubleshoot with other things that I had going on. This has mostly been a personal project of mine to get working. I do still have this issue but I've only been connected remotely at work and my remote client is a windows 8.1 enterprise VMware workstation vm. I wouldn't think there's something in the firewall at work blocking hyper-v management but that would be the only place I could test. I do now have access to a laptop I can test with a windows to go with direct access that I built then I can connect my laptop via LTE on my phone and see if that works but I haven't had a chance to do this yet.
    Sunday, January 26, 2014 5:39 PM
  • Definitely keep us posted on your progress. Issues like these, where there are a lot of moving parts, can be very tricky to troubleshoot through discussions on forums. Keep a close eye on your firewall logs (both client and network) while you're testing to make sure that there isn't something blocking the traffic.
    Monday, January 27, 2014 6:38 AM
  • So I just got a chance to test this out on both a VM with DA and a windows to go with DA.  I tested it with my works wifi and ethernet connection and tethered to my phone via LTE.  I still am getting the RPC unavailable.  Im not certain if its something on my firewall at home or if its the client firewall.  What firewall settings should I verify?
    Thursday, January 30, 2014 2:16 PM
  • Does this link still apply?  Enabling Hyper-V Access Through DirectAccess  I've tried it in the past and it didn't seem to work.
    Friday, January 31, 2014 6:02 PM
  • Any way to remove the "Answered Question" indication so that those of us who are looking for 'actual answers' aren't burdened by "this isn't an answer, but I'll mark it as it is so that when people search, they have to read through the whole thing to identify that I am just wasting their time"?
    Friday, January 31, 2014 6:46 PM