none
Server 2008 Terminal Server Licensing mode Changing Issue

Question

• Dears all,

We have 5 servers in our Citrix farm with 250 terminal server license. We were facing one issue like one client device is taking multiple license. So we planned to move all 5 servers terminal licensing mode from perdevice to peruser. We changed four server and the fifth server we are getting the following error. 

I hope a best solution from you experts.

Sunday, October 06, 2013 6:46 AM

Answers

• Hi Yakub,

As mentioned in the post, that command will reset the repository. Before trying that you can run this script file to fix WMI, if it will work you do not need to reset the repository.

Copy below code into notepad as save as fixwmi.cmd and then from a command line run c:\fixwmi.cmd. It takes several minutes to complete and after completion, you see the: END statement. Start your installation again and it should be fixed.

FIXWMI.CMD
    ------------------------

@echo on
    cd /d c:\temp
    if not exist %windir%\system32\wbem goto TryInstall
    cd /d %windir%\system32\wbem
    net stop winmgmt
    winmgmt /kill
    if exist Rep_bak rd Rep_bak /s /q
    rename Repository Rep_bak
    for %%i in (*.dll) do RegSvr32 -s %%i
    for %%i in (*.exe) do call :FixSrv %%i
    for %%i in (*.mof,*.mfl) do Mofcomp %%i
    net start winmgmt
    goto End

:FixSrv
    if /I (%1) == (wbemcntl.exe) goto SkipSrv
    if /I (%1) == (wbemtest.exe) goto SkipSrv
    if /I (%1) == (mofcomp.exe) goto SkipSrv
    %1 /RegServer

:SkipSrv
    goto End

:TryInstall
    if not exist wmicore.exe goto End
    wmicore /s
    net start winmgmt
    :End

Hope It helps!
    Thanks.

Thursday, October 10, 2013 5:49 AM
  • Hi Yakub,

For error,” The setting for this remote desktop session host server cannot be retrieved. The remote server does not support running remote desktop session host configuration tool remotely.”

I can suggest you to reset wmi repository in command prompt with admin rights.

winmgmt /resetrepository (Run Cmd as Administrator). Refer this thread for more information.

Regarding second error “Licensing Diagnosis encountered a problem and is unable to run. Restart Remote Desktop Session Host server configuration tool and try to run licensing diagnosis again.”

Check “Event ID 1004 — Terminal Services Client Access License (TS CAL) Availability” which state to specify License mode and RDP Encryption level.

Apart from this, there is nice article related to “Licensing Diagnosis: Problems and Resolutions” which states that might issue with Discovery, Credential or Configuration. Please have a look and try.

Hope This Helps!
    Thanks.

Monday, October 07, 2013 9:10 AM

All replies

• Try this:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2477176/en-us

Monday, October 07, 2013 8:55 AM
  • Hi Yakub,

For error,” The setting for this remote desktop session host server cannot be retrieved. The remote server does not support running remote desktop session host configuration tool remotely.”

I can suggest you to reset wmi repository in command prompt with admin rights.

winmgmt /resetrepository (Run Cmd as Administrator). Refer this thread for more information.

Regarding second error “Licensing Diagnosis encountered a problem and is unable to run. Restart Remote Desktop Session Host server configuration tool and try to run licensing diagnosis again.”

Check “Event ID 1004 — Terminal Services Client Access License (TS CAL) Availability” which state to specify License mode and RDP Encryption level.

Apart from this, there is nice article related to “Licensing Diagnosis: Problems and Resolutions” which states that might issue with Discovery, Credential or Configuration. Please have a look and try.

Hope This Helps!
    Thanks.

Monday, October 07, 2013 9:10 AM
  • Thank you for your replay.

I'm allowed to perform this settings on coming Thursday. So i will update you.

Monday, October 07, 2013 9:29 AM
  • Dear

By using winmgmt /resetrepository  command, there will be any issue for current working users, or will reset any current working settings?

Wednesday, October 09, 2013 9:08 AM
  • Hi Yakub,

As mentioned in the post, that command will reset the repository. Before trying that you can run this script file to fix WMI, if it will work you do not need to reset the repository.

Copy below code into notepad as save as fixwmi.cmd and then from a command line run c:\fixwmi.cmd. It takes several minutes to complete and after completion, you see the: END statement. Start your installation again and it should be fixed.

FIXWMI.CMD
    ------------------------

@echo on
    cd /d c:\temp
    if not exist %windir%\system32\wbem goto TryInstall
    cd /d %windir%\system32\wbem
    net stop winmgmt
    winmgmt /kill
    if exist Rep_bak rd Rep_bak /s /q
    rename Repository Rep_bak
    for %%i in (*.dll) do RegSvr32 -s %%i
    for %%i in (*.exe) do call :FixSrv %%i