none
FSX Not Retrieving Current Weather - It's a port issue

Question

• I don't know how or where to post this.

This seems to be a major issue with anyone and everyone that uses the FSX Flight Simulator and I have a rather simple suggestion for how to resolve it.  Nobody can download the current weather from Jeppesen due to a port forwarding issue.  Here is a snippet from my fsx.cfg file:

[Weather]
    WindshieldPrecipitationEffects=1
    MinGustTime=10
    MaxGustTime=500
    MinGustRampSpeed=1
    MaxGustRampSpeed=200
    MinVarTime=5
    MaxVarTime=50
    MinVarRampSpeed=10
    MaxVarRampSpeed=75
    TurbulenceScale=1.000000
    WeatherServerAddress=fs2k.zone.com  <-- this is fine as it returns an actual page
    WeatherServerPort=80  <--- omg!!! port 80!!!! ISP's block this port!!!! change it!!!
    WeatherGraphDataInDialog=0
    AdjustForMagVarInDialog=1
    DynamicWeather=4
    DownloadWindsAloft=1
    DisableTurbulence=1
    CLOUD_DRAW_DISTANCE=6
    DETAILED_CLOUDS=1
    CLOUD_COVERAGE_DENSITY=6
    THERMAL_VISUALS=1

So, Dear Microsoft would you please do a HUGE favor for the entire flying community on FSX and change that port to something more gameish?  I would recommend something like 6100 through 6200 or 62000 for that matter!  The sooner you do it the sooner we all get back to having the current weather while we sim.

yours truly,

developer68

• Edited by developer68 Sunday, September 22, 2013 1:37 AM
    Sunday, September 22, 2013 1:32 AM

Answers

All replies

• p.s. the location of fsx.cfg is in C:\Users\<your windows user ID>\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\FSX
    • Edited by developer68 Sunday, September 22, 2013 1:33 AM
    Sunday, September 22, 2013 1:33 AM
  • Might ask them over here.

http://www.microsoft.com/Products/Games/FSInsider/community/Pages/default.aspx

Regards, Dave Patrick ....
    Microsoft Certified Professional
    Microsoft MVP [Windows]

Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees , and confers no rights.

Sunday, September 22, 2013 1:35 AM
  • This is a Microsoft product specific issue and I don't think they'll get the message if I post it on some outside community site.  It sort of involves consumer rights as that part of the game was paid for and not being provided to  the community because of ISP's.  So hoping this gets someone's attention to fix it by merely changing a port.  And I've looked through FSInsider as its just a redirect style of site and doesn't allow any technical support.  So maybe instead of passing the buck to a non Microsoft site you can submit a change request or actually go and talk to someone in the FSX division and change what the port is using?

• Edited by developer68 Sunday, September 22, 2013 1:45 AM
    Sunday, September 22, 2013 1:41 AM
  • oh and here is a site where some others are remarking about the same topic.

www.flightsim.com/vbfs/showthread.php?262591-FSX-weather

Notice the dates that delineate how long this issue has been affecting the community.

Sunday, September 22, 2013 1:58 AM
  • I'd try over here then.

http://www.microsoft.com/Products/Games/FSInsider/tips/Pages/ContactingTechnicalSupport.aspx

Regards, Dave Patrick ....
    Microsoft Certified Professional
    Microsoft MVP [Windows]

Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees , and confers no rights.

Sunday, September 22, 2013 2:05 AM
  • I just can't believe how long this has been in existence.

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_other-gaming/fsx-real-world-weather-is-not-updating/02390d17-57de-4b3c-86ad-2014694c50b8?page=2&tm=1379815953961#LastReply

LOL or this:

http://ww1.jeppesen.com/aviation/personal/simcharts-download.jsp

• Edited by developer68 Sunday, September 22, 2013 11:34 PM
    Sunday, September 22, 2013 2:21 AM