none
Active Directory Administrative Center (Server 2012 R2) crashes when running global search

Question

• When running a global search in ADAC using the Server 2012 R2 version, it always without fail crashes when initiating a search using the global search option. This occurs when running natively on a server or using RSAT on Windows 8.1. The error seems to be due to the .NET Runtime.

Has anyone else experienced this or found a fix/workaround?

Monday, October 21, 2013 2:50 PM

Answers

• Woohoo!  They fixed it in January's update rollup for Windows 8.1 & Server 2012 R2 (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2911106).  I've tested on 8.1 Enterprise and Server 2012 R2 and both are now working.  No more crash on Global Search!
    • Marked as answer by BryanCP Friday, January 17, 2014 12:42 PM
    Tuesday, January 14, 2014 8:22 PM

All replies

• I have also experienced this issue with RSAT for Window 8.1.  The first time was on a computer i upgraded from Windows 8 then upgraded from RSAT for Windows 8 to 8.1.  I then tried a fresh install of Windows 8.1 Enterprise with RSAT for 8.1 installed and got the same problem.

Tuesday, October 22, 2013 4:13 AM
  • I can confirm this issue for a fresh installation of Windows 8.1 x64 en Enterprise but haven't yet found a workaround.

I've started a debugging session and just got back a NullReference error as soon as performing a global search.

Tuesday, October 22, 2013 10:50 AM
  • Same issue here. Upgraded a 64-bit Windows 8 Enterprise machine to Windows 8.1 Enterprise and now Active Directory Administrative Center crashes when running global search. I tried to remove the RSAT feature from the machine in order to reinstall and I get an error: "The system cannot find the file specified. Error code: 0x80070002" which points me to this Microsoft KB page: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2734782

Not sure where to go from here.

Tuesday, October 22, 2013 1:08 PM
  • This is an issue for me as well on Windows 8.1 64 bit. I've even wiped the machine and done a clean install with RSAT as the first install afterwards. Global search crashes every time. It appears to be .net related to me as well. Even odder, when you try to select ASP.NET 4.5 as an option to turn on in Turn windows features on or off, you get a message that it's already enabled even though the check box for it is not selected.
    Tuesday, October 22, 2013 3:39 PM
  • same issue here.  
    Wednesday, October 23, 2013 2:58 PM
  • Same problem here... Just upgraded my admin station to 8.1.
    Thursday, October 24, 2013 3:17 PM
  • The 8.1 preview and associated RSAT preview had the same issue, I would have hoped it would be fixed by now.  Unfortunately, I'm still getting the same crash here on my main workstation after installing the final bits. 
    Friday, October 25, 2013 10:00 PM
  • I have the same problem.  Tried on both Server 2012 R2 native (RTM w/ all GA patches) and Windows 8.1 Enterprise (RTM w/ all GA patches) w/ RSAT final.

This is a pretty major bug MS...you need to fix this stat.

Friday, October 25, 2013 10:23 PM
  • Same problem here on my 8.1 Workstation and Administrative Center. Crashes when using global search.
    Monday, October 28, 2013 8:59 AM
  • Is there a way to let Microsoft know that their product is broken and they need to fix it without having to pay the $259 for a support call?  I'm sure they're not reading this forum post.
    Monday, October 28, 2013 3:10 PM
  • The same issue is now being discussed within the SpiceWorks Community so I'm adding a reference here:
    => http://community.spiceworks.com/topic/399713-active-directory-administrative-center-keeps-crashing-in-8-1

Basically you shouldn't get charged for the ticket if it is a bug. I've however already tried to get in contact with them by writing a comment to their RSAT announcement over here:
    => http://blogs.technet.com/b/yongrhee/archive/2013/10/18/remote-server-administration-tools-rsat-for-windows-8-1-available-for-download.aspx 

But the comment has been removed or better said not approved.

Tuesday, October 29, 2013 7:16 AM
  • I tried going the support route on their website and the first thing they ask for is a credit card number...

I also noticed in AD Admin Center that on 2012 R2/8.1, Global Search doesn't appear in the left pane.  It does in 2008 R2/7 and 2012/8.

MICROSOFT!!! Please compile a working dsac.exe and update 2012 R2 and 8.1 RSAT.

Tuesday, October 29, 2013 10:13 PM
  • Same problem here:

Windows 8.1 (64-bit)

RSAT for Windows 8.1

ADAC crashes immediately whenever attempting to make a global search.

Microsoft please acknowledge and fix as soon as possible, this has to be a bug and it's seriously impacting the usefulness of the ADAC.  I've gone back to ADUC/ ds commands until this is resolved.

Thursday, October 31, 2013 8:32 PM
  • Just to keep this problem alive... ADAC on Windows 8.0 was running fine (Global search was the best part) and it was super fast when comparing with Windows 7 ADAC version. The problem occured with Windows 8.1 Preview and continued with Windows 8.1.

It seems the problem lies with some powershell library, because it is also impossible to uninstall RSAT tools because of the "API and Powershell cmdlets" part of WSUS remote server tools. I tried removing this package through DISM commands and it always fails. CBS log file show some error about registry entry being deleted. When I've checked TiWorker.exe execution during DISM removal, the problem occure while checking for a particular registry entry about Microsoft.Update.Administration or something, which is present as a registry entry and also as a file in the WinSxS folder, so it remains a mistery why this error occure.

What I've notices is that ADAC crashes also when trying to change DC. The error is the same, but when debugged, it seems that the application is trying to remove the previous PSDrive, which does not exist.

My assumption is that someone erroneusly tried to connect the console just with the DC with Windows Server 2012 R2 OS, and then made a mistake not to check within the code if the PSDrive was connected. This is the only thing that make sense.

Sunday, November 03, 2013 12:02 AM
  • @Saha_81 - Just to confirm, I got the same crash too when changing the DC in ADAC on Server 2012 R2.

It appears that Microsoft doesn't care that we're having all these issues with a tool that USED to be really great, and is now just unusable...

Monday, November 04, 2013 1:35 PM
  • @Saha_81 - Just to confirm, I got the same crash too when changing the DC in ADAC on Server 2012 R2.

It appears that Microsoft doesn't care that we're having all these issues with a tool that USED to be really great, and is now just unusable...

Yeah, such a shame for that. We can only hope that they will correct the issue, because I've tried everything I could to find a workaround.
    Monday, November 04, 2013 11:54 PM
  • On Win8.1 ADAC crashes for me on global search.

It also crashes for me when changing DC.

It also does not remember a second node that I added.

Tuesday, November 05, 2013 6:45 PM
  • Microsoft! Read this forum post! Your products are broken and we need them fixed.
    Thursday, November 07, 2013 1:20 PM
  • Also...has anyone else noticed that this exe is flagged to elevate, but you are never prompted by UAC when you run it?  dsac.exe in Windows 7 and Windows 8.0 would UAC prompt.

Even if you explicitly try to run the Windows 8.1/Server 2012 R2 as administrator, you are never given a UAC prompt...

Friday, November 08, 2013 3:46 PM
  • So...I figured this out.  Apparently ADAC will NOT work unless ALL DCs in your domain are running 2012 R2.

Test 1:  Installed new Server 2012 R2 test DC in new forest/domain - ADAC works fine for global search.

Test 2:  Primary DC was Server 2012 in my real test domain.  I installed a RODC in that domain running 2012 R2 - ADAC did NOT work.  I upgraded the primary DC to 2012 R2 - now ADAC works fine on the primary, the RODC, and from a Windows 8.1 client w/ RSAT.  Please note that the forest/domain functional levels are still 2012, but all DCs MUST be running 2012 R2.

Microsoft...you should document this requirement.  Upgrading all DCs to 2012 R2 is a pretty significant pre-requisite for making ADAC work properly on Server 2012 R2/Windows 8.1 RSAT.  This also was NOT required for previous releases of ADAC.

Friday, November 08, 2013 8:42 PM
  • Any word on a fix yet? Not DC's are going to get upgraded to 2012R2 just because the admins want to run W8.1......
    Friday, November 15, 2013 5:09 AM
  • Another one with the problem here - windows 8.1 x64. hopeing MS will address this as we wont be upgrading to server 2012 for a few months.
    Friday, November 15, 2013 12:36 PM
  • Same problem here.  Hopefully they'll get this fixed quickly.
    Wednesday, November 20, 2013 6:02 PM
  • Same problem here.  Hopefully they'll get this fixed quickly.
    Tuesday, November 26, 2013 7:03 AM
  • Same problem.  I experienced it in the preview and was disappointed to see the problem in RTM as well.  We are currently W28KR2 on all DCs and preparing to roll out our first 2012 R2 DC. 
    Tuesday, November 26, 2013 3:07 PM
  • Anything yet???
    Thursday, December 05, 2013 4:45 AM
  • This is getting ridiculous. I have to launch a Server 2012 ADAC remoteapp just to use global search.
    Wednesday, December 11, 2013 7:26 PM
  • Same issue here.  Still no information on cause
    Thursday, December 12, 2013 2:33 PM
  • We recently finished an AD health assessment by MS PFE and I brought this up to the engineer.  He said MS is aware of the problem, a fix is in the works and to keep an eye on patching notifications over the next few months.

Friday, January 03, 2014 7:29 PM
  • Woohoo!  They fixed it in January's update rollup for Windows 8.1 & Server 2012 R2 (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2911106).  I've tested on 8.1 Enterprise and Server 2012 R2 and both are now working.  No more crash on Global Search!
    • Marked as answer by BryanCP Friday, January 17, 2014 12:42 PM
    Tuesday, January 14, 2014 8:22 PM
  • Excellent news!
    Friday, January 17, 2014 12:42 PM
  • I installed the update KB2911106, but the problem with the global search in the Active Directory Administrative Center did not dare! Used windows 8.1 ent. What to do?
    Wednesday, April 09, 2014 7:14 AM