none
Exchange 2010 Management Pack for SCOM 2012

Question

• Hi

can anyone confirm if there is an Exchange 2010 (SP1)  management pack for Microsoft System Center Operations Manager 2012.

If you try to import the Management pack from Microsoft online catalog, it has Exchange 2010 in online only format.  The url links directs you to the management pack, however it only appear to be for SCOM 2007 R2.  Can anyone assist please.

Also are there any beginner guides on using SCOM 2012.

Thanks

Nick

Thursday, February 16, 2012 11:56 AM

Answers

All replies

• Hi,

Download the MP from here: http://www.microsoft.com/download/en/details.aspx?id=692

You can use SCOM 2007R2 MP's in SCOM 2012.

I have installed SCOM2012 using Kevin's guide: http://blogs.technet.com/b/kevinholman/archive/2011/07/26/deploying-opsmgr-2012-a-quick-start-guide.aspx

More info. on SCOM 2012 here: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/systemcenter/default.aspx

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

Thursday, February 16, 2012 12:05 PM
  • Hi dktoa

THanks for the update, I have installed this as you suggested. Although the management pack is installed Exchange is still un-monitored. Exchange was already discovered and added to SCOM 2012 prior to importing the management pack. Do you need to perform any additional action for Exchange to be monitoring. I would have assumed that the agent would pull in these settings. Apologies I am very new at SCOM 2012 and finding it a bit heavy going.

Many Thanks

Nick

Thursday, February 16, 2012 3:39 PM
  • Hi Nick,

Did you read the DOC file before you imported the MP, page 9 "Before You Import the Exchange 2010 Management Pack" ?

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

Thursday, February 16, 2012 6:31 PM
  • Hi Nick

You might want to follow this documentation. Although it was written for SCOM 2007 R2, the only item that has changed in SCOM 2012 is that there is no longer a Root Management Server. Instead, install the correlation engine on the management server that hosts the RMS Emulator role.

http://www.msexchange.org/articles_tutorials/exchange-server-2010/management-administration/monitoring-exchange-2010-opsmgr-2007-r2-part1.html

There is an article about the RMS emulator in SCOM 2012 here:

http://www.systemcentercentral.com/BlogDetails/tabid/143/IndexID/91085/Default.aspx

Cheers

Graham

New SCOM 2012 Blog! - http://www.systemcentersolutions.com/blog/
    View OpsMgr tips and tricks at http://systemcentersolutions.wordpress.com/

Friday, February 17, 2012 7:45 AM
  • Hi All

I'm experiencing a similar issue with installing the Exchange 2010 MP on SCOM 2012. specifically i'm unable to get the Correlation Service to work. whenever i try to start it, i receive an error that the service 'started and then stopped'. It will start if 'local service' is used for the log on, but then it doesn't have permission to connect to the SDK

Graham / 'dktoa' - can you confirm you've successfully installed the Exchange 2010 MP on SCOM 2012? if so how did you get the Correlation Service to start successfully?

Have you tried turning it off and back on again?

Tuesday, May 08, 2012 2:52 PM
  • additional -if i add 'Local Service' to the Operations Manager Administrators group, then use it for the Correlation Service, the service 'starts and then stops' the same as any other account...

Tuesday, May 08, 2012 3:03 PM
  • Hi

Yep - working fine on SCOM 2012. Correlation Service is running as local system on the RMS Emulator.

Cheers

Graham

Regards Graham New System Center 2012 Blog! - http://www.systemcentersolutions.co.uk
    View OpsMgr tips and tricks at http://systemcentersolutions.wordpress.com/

Tuesday, May 08, 2012 4:38 PM
  • hey Graham, thanks a lot for the reply.

When I run the Exchange 2010 MP.msi, it gets as far as 'starting services' then throws an error:

"Service MSExchangeCorrelationService failed to start. verify you have sufficient privileges to start system services"

(for what it's worth I'm logged on as a domain admin)

any ideas what might be causing this problem?

Tuesday, May 08, 2012 4:42 PM
  • Do i need to run the script which creates the test mailbox on the Mailbox Server first? I've not seen this mentioned in the process until after the service is installed.

Tuesday, May 08, 2012 4:44 PM
  • No as you are doing now start with installing the correlation engine. Check if you are running the installer on the current RMS Emulator (usually the first management server in a fresh install). If you did an upgrade it depends on the order you did it in. ANyway, check which is the RMS emulator and be sure to run it there.

Bob Cornelissen - BICTT (My Blog about SCOM) - MVP 2012 and Microsoft Community Contributor 2011 Recipient

Friday, May 18, 2012 5:57 PM
  •  I was having the same 'start and stop' issues using the local system account however, I was able to start the service using the local network service account. Just select the network service account, blank out the password line, apply and start.

Monday, June 18, 2012 8:44 PM
  • yes i noticed that this would work. however as soon as the 'network service' has permission to communicate with the SCOM SDK, it would no longer work.

In our case I suspected the problems were being caused by some issues with upgrading the install from 2007 to 2012. after several of us wasted time trying to fix this, we performed a clean install on SCOM 2012 and migrated over our managfement packs. the Exchange Monitoring tools now work correctly.

sorry i cant provide any more specific info on the cause of the problem, nevertheless we managed to resolve it with a clean install.

Tuesday, June 19, 2012 9:44 AM
  • I need to know where can be found the Management Pack, the link is not working and from RMS console appear one option "exchange 2010 server (Online Catalog Only)

Regards

Thursday, July 12, 2012 6:39 PM
  • Hi,

At the moment you can't download the Exchange MP

Exchange 2010 MP version 14.3.38.2 Issue: Mailboxes on a database are Quarantined

http://thoughtsonopsmgr.blogspot.dk/2012/06/exchange-2010-mp-version-143382-issue.html

• Proposed as answer by CSCin Thursday, April 18, 2013 9:48 AM
    Thursday, July 12, 2012 6:45 PM
  • Mauricio, the exchange 2010 was only available through the catalog. Because it has to install the correlation engine. And they had released a newer version of this mp which they had to pull due to some issue with it. There will be a new update to it soon. you can see stuff in the marketplace:

http://systemcenter.pinpoint.microsoft.com/en-US/applications/search/operations-manager-d11?q=exchange

Bob Cornelissen - BICTT (My Blog about SCOM) - MVP 2012 and Microsoft Community Contributor 2011 Recipient

Thursday, July 12, 2012 6:45 PM
  • I need help as well please.

I was able to get the correlation service installed and running however SCOM (2012) will not monitor my exchange servers. I have 2 exchange 2010 servers being monitored in the 'Monitoring' area but the management pack will not pick up those servers. 

I tried following: http://www.toolzz.com/?p=1565 to get the monitoring to work but cannot. I would really really like to get exchange monitored. If someone can help me I would appreciate it. 

Friday, September 14, 2012 3:11 PM
  • I need help as well please.

I was able to get the correlation service installed and running however SCOM (2012) will not monitor my exchange servers. I have 2 exchange 2010 servers being monitored in the 'Monitoring' area but the management pack will not pick up those servers. 

I tried following: http://www.toolzz.com/?p=1565 to get the monitoring to work but cannot. I would really really like to get exchange monitored. If someone can help me I would appreciate it. 

I too have problems With the Exchange 2010 MP and SCOM 2012. Followed this blog post: http://www.toolzz.com/?p=49 and it worked for a long time (almost 2 months), but one week ago the service stopped. I tried to start it manually, but that didn't help - I'm stuck with the “The Microsoft Exchange Monitoring Correlation Service on Local Computer started and then stopped. Some services stop automatically if they are not in use by other services or programs” message in local service management. Then I tried rebooting the management server to no avail.

When that did not seem to work I continued my troubleshooting. I uninstalled the Exchange 2010 MP from that management server, and moved the RMS emulator role to another management server. I installed the Exchange 2010 MP on the management server where I had moved the RMS emulator role, changed the service credentials for the correalation engine service, and edited the config file to reflect my new RMS emulator's FQDN. Attempted to start the service again, but it still gives me the same error Message as before. How can we solve this problem?

Best regards

Bjørn-Erik

Monday, May 06, 2013 10:47 AM
  • Does it log any Errors in the Application Log, when the Co-relation Engine Crashes?

Monday, May 06, 2013 7:09 PM
  • Hi M.Mathew,

Yes, in the Application Event Log it says that it can't find Exchange Common. In the opsmgr log complaints about a cache refresh that it was not able to execute. I don't have the logs handy right now, but I'll post them later if necessary. Any ideas?

Best regards

Bjørn-Erik

Tuesday, May 07, 2013 9:31 AM
  • Sorry for the long time, I've been away from work on holliday. These are the logs:

Application log (when attempting to start service)

Log Name:      Application
    Source:        MSExchange Common
    Date:          29.04.2013 01:15:28
    Event ID:      4999
    Task Category: (1)
    Level:         Error
    Keywords:      Classic
    User:          N/A
    Computer:      xxx
    Description:
    The description for Event ID 4999 from source MSExchange Common cannot be found. Either the component that raises this event is not installed on your local computer or the installation is corrupted. You can install or repair the component on the local computer.

If the event originated on another computer, the display information had to be saved with the event.

The following information was included with the event: 

E12
    c-RTL-AMD64
    M.E.Monitoring.CorrelationEngine
    M.EnterpriseManagement.OperationsManager
    M.E.C.TypeSpaceCache.GetType[T]
    M.E.Common.ObjectNotFoundException
    90b4
    False

the message resource is present but the message is not found in the string/message table

Event Xml:
    <Event xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event">
      <System>
        <Provider Name="MSExchange Common" />
        <EventID Qualifiers="16388">4999</EventID>
        <Level>2</Level>
        <Task>1</Task>
        <Keywords>0x80000000000000</Keywords>
        <TimeCreated SystemTime="2013-04-28T23:15:28.000000000Z" />
        <EventRecordID>21591</EventRecordID>
        <Channel>Application</Channel>
        <Computer>xxx</Computer>
        <Security />
      </System>
      <EventData>
        <Data>4148</Data>
        <Data>E12</Data>
        <Data>c-RTL-AMD64</Data>
        <Data>14.03.0038.000</Data>
        <Data>M.E.Monitoring.CorrelationEngine</Data>
        <Data>M.EnterpriseManagement.OperationsManager</Data>
        <Data>M.E.C.TypeSpaceCache.GetType[T]</Data>
        <Data>M.E.Common.ObjectNotFoundException</Data>
        <Data>90b4</Data>
        <Data>06.01.7221.049</Data>
        <Data>False</Data>
        <Data>
        </Data>
      </EventData>
    </Event>

OpsMgr log (when attempting to start service):

Log Name:      Operations Manager
    Source:        OpsMgr SDK Client
    Date:          13.05.2013 10:02:31
    Event ID:      27000
    Task Category: None
    Level:         Error
    Keywords:      Classic
    User:          N/A
    Computer:      xxx
    Description:
    The System Center Data Access service client threw an unknown exception while processing a type cache refresh notification. 
    The cache was not updated successfully:  
    System.InvalidCastException: Unable to cast object of type 'System.DBNull' to type 'System.String'.
       at Microsoft.EnterpriseManagement.Common.Internal.ImageReferenceGenerated..ctor(Result result)
       at Microsoft.EnterpriseManagement.Configuration.MonitoringClass.Constructor.AddSingleSubElementTwo(Result row, Dictionary`2 

objectIdToObjectDictionary)
       at Microsoft.EnterpriseManagement.Configuration.ManagementPackElementConstructor.CreateMultiple[T,H](IList`1 dataAccessResult, ManagementGroup 

managementGroup, ManagementPack managementPack)
       at Microsoft.EnterpriseManagement.Configuration.TypeSpaceCache.RefreshMonitoringClassCache(ReadOnlyCollection`1 typeCacheResultSets)
       at Microsoft.EnterpriseManagement.Configuration.TypeSpaceCache.Refresh(Boolean forceDatabaseSync, ManualResetEvent acquireCacheUpdateLockEvent)
       at Microsoft.EnterpriseManagement.ManagementGroupInternal.RefreshTypeCacheInternal(Boolean forceDatabaseSync, ManualResetEvent 

acquireCacheUpdateLockEvent)
       at Microsoft.EnterpriseManagement.ManagementGroup.RefreshTypeCacheNotForce(Object eventToSignalOnLockAcquisition)
    Event Xml:
    <Event xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event">
      <System>
        <Provider Name="OpsMgr SDK Client" />
        <EventID Qualifiers="49152">27000</EventID>
        <Level>2</Level>
        <Task>0</Task>
        <Keywords>0x80000000000000</Keywords>
        <TimeCreated SystemTime="2013-05-13T08:02:31.000000000Z" />
        <EventRecordID>170572</EventRecordID>
        <Channel>Operations Manager</Channel>
        <Computer>xxx</Computer>
        <Security />
      </System>
      <EventData>
        <Data>System.InvalidCastException: Unable to cast object of type 'System.DBNull' to type 'System.String'.
       at Microsoft.EnterpriseManagement.Common.Internal.ImageReferenceGenerated..ctor(Result result)
       at Microsoft.EnterpriseManagement.Configuration.MonitoringClass.Constructor.AddSingleSubElementTwo(Result row, Dictionary`2 

objectIdToObjectDictionary)
       at Microsoft.EnterpriseManagement.Configuration.ManagementPackElementConstructor.CreateMultiple[T,H](IList`1 dataAccessResult, ManagementGroup 

managementGroup, ManagementPack managementPack)
       at Microsoft.EnterpriseManagement.Configuration.TypeSpaceCache.RefreshMonitoringClassCache(ReadOnlyCollection`1 typeCacheResultSets)
       at Microsoft.EnterpriseManagement.Configuration.TypeSpaceCache.Refresh(Boolean forceDatabaseSync, ManualResetEvent acquireCacheUpdateLockEvent)
       at Microsoft.EnterpriseManagement.ManagementGroupInternal.RefreshTypeCacheInternal(Boolean forceDatabaseSync, ManualResetEvent 

acquireCacheUpdateLockEvent)
       at Microsoft.EnterpriseManagement.ManagementGroup.RefreshTypeCacheNotForce(Object eventToSignalOnLockAcquisition)</Data>
      </EventData>
    </Event>

Best regards

Bjørn-Erik

Monday, May 13, 2013 8:19 AM
  • Hello together,

i have the same Problem like Bjorn-Erik. Have anyone solve the problem?

greets
    Flo

Monday, July 29, 2013 9:11 AM
  • Dan-- I've seen a few of your posts about this. I'm having an identical issue. Did you ever find a resolution?

JMHahn

Wednesday, October 09, 2013 9:26 PM
  • This looks very much like the support case I have just had.

After talking some time with a helpful supporter (thank you, Varun Jain), we figured out that my issue was, that the category of some images included in a management pack was null. This is a known bug, and the solution is to delete the management packs containing those images.

To see if you got the same issue, execute the following query in the database:

Use OperationsManager
    SELECT *
    FROM dbo.ImageReference
    JOIN dbo.[Resource] on ([Resource].ResourceId = ImageReference.ImageId)
    LEFT JOIN dbo.[Category] ON [Category].CategoryTarget = [Resource].ResourceId
    LEFT JOIN dbo.[EnumType] ON [EnumType].EnumTypeId = [Category].CategoryValue
    JOIN dbo.MPElementView ON (ImageReference.ReferenceId = MPElementView.MPElementId)
    INNER JOIN dbo.[ManagementPack] ON dbo.ManagementPack.ManagementPackId = [ImageReference].ManagementPackId AND dbo.ManagementPack.ContentReadable = 1
    WHERE dbo.[ImageReference].[ReferenceId] IN (select dbo.ManagedType.ManagedTypeId from dbo.ManagedType)
    and dbo.[Resource].ResourceType = 4 AND [EnumType].EnumTypeName IS NULL

If anything appears, you got images which category is null. Remove them, and the engine should be able to start again (at least in my case).

Tuesday, October 15, 2013 8:41 AM
  • It's been 2 years since this Management pack was released, and we still are working with documentation for installing it in SCOM 2007, common Please update your documentation!!!
    Tuesday, February 11, 2014 10:54 PM
  • Update the Exchange 2010 management pack now please!
    Friday, February 14, 2014 1:34 PM