none
How do I start and auto logon a local (but not console) session

Question

• So I have a server and I need an application to run any time the server boots. The application is not capable of being run as a service. I have no terminal services licenses so I will be using the built-in remote admin licensing for terminal services.

So I have set up a user that will to run the application on startup (startup folder). console RDP session on itself with that user logged in to that RDP session. The session will then continue running. And because it is not the console session, I can later logon to the remote session on the server using RDP using the same user name and password and interact with that application.

Is this possible?

Friday, January 03, 2014 1:56 AM

Answers

• Hi,

What do you mean that logon a local but not console session? What is the OS edition you have?

Meanwhile, the local session is always the console session. Also, if you would like to open a remote consoles session. For Windows Server 2003, you can add /console switch with mstsc.exe. For Windows Server 2008 and later, you can run mstsc /admin.

TERMINAL SERVICES CONSOLE SESSION AND THE "/ADMIN" SWITCH

http://www.norskale.com/articles/article/terminal-services-console-session-and-the-admin-switch

Please Note: Since the website is not hosted by Microsoft, the link may change without notice. Microsoft does not guarantee the accuracy of this information.

Thanks.

Jeremy Wu

TechNet Community Support

Monday, January 06, 2014 3:43 PM

All replies

• This one may help.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/947714

Regards, Dave Patrick ....
    Microsoft Certified Professional
    Microsoft MVP [Windows]

Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees , and confers no rights.

Friday, January 03, 2014 2:31 AM
  • Nope. That's not it. While I do want to autologon (sort of), I want the autologon to start a non-console session.

Friday, January 03, 2014 4:04 AM
  • Hi,

What do you mean that logon a local but not console session? What is the OS edition you have?

Meanwhile, the local session is always the console session. Also, if you would like to open a remote consoles session. For Windows Server 2003, you can add /console switch with mstsc.exe. For Windows Server 2008 and later, you can run mstsc /admin.

TERMINAL SERVICES CONSOLE SESSION AND THE "/ADMIN" SWITCH

http://www.norskale.com/articles/article/terminal-services-console-session-and-the-admin-switch

Please Note: Since the website is not hosted by Microsoft, the link may change without notice. Microsoft does not guarantee the accuracy of this information.

Thanks.

Jeremy Wu

Monday, January 06, 2014 3:43 PM
  • Hi,

Is there any update?

Thanks.

Jeremy Wu

Saturday, January 11, 2014 7:15 PM
  • Dear you have to add the following registry keys to this server to allow auto logon to the local console.

navigate to: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon

Create or modify the following value (REG_SZ):

DefaultUserName

and enter the exact username you'd like to use.

Then, create or modify the following value (REG_SZ):

DefaultPassword

and enter the exact password you'd like to use.

Note: The password is stored in clear text, allowing anyone with access to the registry (either locally or remotely) to see your password. Use with extreme caution!

Next, create or modify the following value (REG_SZ):

AutoAdminLogon

and enter a value of 1.

Finally, create or modify the following value (REG_SZ):

DefaultDomainName

and enter the domain name you wish to logon to.

and ne aware that it's not recommended to enable the auto logon for a server because you will be at risk from being locally accessed from unauthorized person, and make sure that the computer lock after 1 minute if idle.

Hope this helps you to achieve your goal.

Saturday, January 11, 2014 7:26 PM