none
Virtual IP Per Session vs Per Program

Question

• I have 2008 R2 Remote Desktop and goal is to use IE as the program to assign a specific virtual IP. I need some clarification as to what is Session vs Program. The reason is that I don't want to assign an IP to the user when they connect to the Remote desktop session, only when they launch IE within this desktop session. I don't have enough in the pool or range within the subnet to assign an IP to each desktop session. I have a small amount of users that need a specific IP for an IE application. So my question for clarification, I assume enabling Virtual IP for session means a Desktop session and Program means an application within a desktop session? 

At the moment each user is assigned an IP when they connect to the desktop. I can validate this by the event log where an IP is assigned to a user upon connection to the desktop (as well as IPCONFIG). When the same user launches IE within the desktop session the event log shows another entry to which they are assigned an IP for IE (same IP as when they connected to the desktop).This is not the desired result as we need an IP only when launching IE. 

Not using a DHCP server but using a static pool on the RDS server.

My settings:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Terminal Server\TSAppSrv\VirtualIP

AdapterAddress = 5A-ff-ff-ff-ff-ff

ComponentDLL = %SystemRoot%\\system32\\TSVIPSrv.dll

EnableVirtualIP = 1

IPPool = %SystemRoot%\\system32\\TSVIPool.dll

VirtualMode = 1

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Terminal Server\TSAppSrv\VirtualIP\IPPool

Start = 10.x.x.105

End = 10.x.x.125

SubnetMask = 255.255.255.0

Tuesday, December 17, 2013 6:43 PM

Answers

• Hi,

As per my research, I can say that your understanding is correct for Remote Desktop IP Virtualization. You can assign in 2 different modes.

Per-Session mode: In per-session mode, Remote Desktop IP Virtualization assigns an IP address per user session. 

Per-program mode: In per-program mode, Remote Desktop IP Virtualization facilitates shared-session IP, but only uses it for specified applications instead of the whole session. That is, a “per session” IP will still be used, but it will only be scoped for a specified set of applications. The remaining applications in the session will continue using the overall server IP. 

Here providing you link for better understanding for RD IP Virtualization. 
    Configuring Remote Desktop IP Virtualization: Part 1 & Part 2

Apart from this below providing link for additional details.

1.  Configure Remote Desktop IP Virtualization  
    2.  Deploying Remote Desktop IP Virtualization Step-by-Step Guide (Appendix A: Using Static IP Addresses for Remote Desktop IP Virtualization)

Hope it helps!
    Regards.
    Wednesday, December 18, 2013 8:09 AM
  • Appreciate the feedback and thanks for validating. I have referred to those articles already as well as many others to see where my configuration may be different. At the moment I still have an issue where I get an IP assignment for both Desktop and application for the same user but our goal is to have only application. I have started from scratch a few times with the same results so need to figure out why my configuration is not working. Thanks again. 
    Wednesday, December 18, 2013 3:08 PM

All replies

• Hi,

As per my research, I can say that your understanding is correct for Remote Desktop IP Virtualization. You can assign in 2 different modes.

Per-Session mode: In per-session mode, Remote Desktop IP Virtualization assigns an IP address per user session. 

Per-program mode: In per-program mode, Remote Desktop IP Virtualization facilitates shared-session IP, but only uses it for specified applications instead of the whole session. That is, a “per session” IP will still be used, but it will only be scoped for a specified set of applications. The remaining applications in the session will continue using the overall server IP. 

Here providing you link for better understanding for RD IP Virtualization. 
    Configuring Remote Desktop IP Virtualization: Part 1 & Part 2

Apart from this below providing link for additional details.

1.  Configure Remote Desktop IP Virtualization  
    2.  Deploying Remote Desktop IP Virtualization Step-by-Step Guide (Appendix A: Using Static IP Addresses for Remote Desktop IP Virtualization)

Hope it helps!
    Regards.
    Wednesday, December 18, 2013 8:09 AM
  • Appreciate the feedback and thanks for validating. I have referred to those articles already as well as many others to see where my configuration may be different. At the moment I still have an issue where I get an IP assignment for both Desktop and application for the same user but our goal is to have only application. I have started from scratch a few times with the same results so need to figure out why my configuration is not working. Thanks again. 
    Wednesday, December 18, 2013 3:08 PM
  • Hi,

How is everything going? Could you please tell us the present situation? If you need any further assistance, please let us know.

Regards.
    Monday, December 23, 2013 5:06 AM