none
USMT Miguser.xml questions for file types

Question

• If I want to back up file types like. .pdf,.wmv or any other file type for exmaple do I need to add these to the section in the miguser.xml "This componet migrates user files with known extensions?

And I am guessign that if I add those file extensions to the miguser.xml for scanstate I also need to add them for the miguser.xml file I am using for restore

And can I delete a section within the miguser.xml for example if I don't want to use it?

<!--   -->

This component migrates Shared Music files 

- <component type="Documents" context="System">
      <displayName _locID="miguser.sharedmusic">Shared Music</displayName>
    - <paths>
      <path type="File">%CSIDL_COMMON_MUSIC%</path>
      </paths>
    - <role role="Data">
    - <detects>
    - <detect>
      <condition>MigXmlHelper.DoesObjectExist("File","%CSIDL_COMMON_MUSIC%")</condition>
      </detect>
      </detects>
    - <rules>
    - <include filter="MigXmlHelper.IgnoreIrrelevantLinks()">
    - <objectSet>
      <pattern type="File">%CSIDL_COMMON_MUSIC%\* [*]</pattern>
      </objectSet>
      </include>
    - <merge script="MigXmlHelper.DestinationPriority()">
    - <objectSet>
      <pattern type="File">%CSIDL_COMMON_MUSIC%\ [desktop.ini]</pattern>
      </objectSet>
      </merge>
      </rules>
      </role>
      </component>

Tuesday, November 15, 2011 5:20 PM

All replies

• You can add additional extensions to the miguser.xml file, you will need to create migration rules for the files as well. Do you put them pack in the same location or do they get moved to a new location? Please refer to http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ff383238(WS.10).aspx#BKMK_MigUser
    Tuesday, November 15, 2011 5:38 PM
  • My client has their windows XP My Documents moved to C:\data and I want all folders and files to be backed up from c:\data and restored to the c:\data folder on the windows 7 image. how do i incoroporate that

SO if I want to backup and restore c:\data do I just add this to the miguser.xml that is used for scanstate and loadstate?

<migration urlid="http://www.microsoft.com/migration/1.0/migxmlext/test">
    <component type="Documents" context="System">
      <displayName>Component to migrate all Documents including subfolders</displayName>
      <role role="Data">
        <rules>
          <include>
            <objectSet>
              <pattern type="File">C:\Data\* [*]</pattern>
            </objectSet>
          </include>
        </rules>
      </role>
    </component>
    </migration>
    Tuesday, November 15, 2011 5:43 PM
  • So if I need to backup and restore .pdf or any other file types that are not included in the file type in the miguser.xml regardless of where they are I need to add them correct?
    Tuesday, November 15, 2011 8:46 PM
  • No thats not entirely true, it depends on the rules configured, in general miguser will include ALL files under the My Documents. The extentions for other files should be in the included for the remaining disk scan.

I will get an example and post it for you with comments to better explain this. I dont have a working version with me now unfortunatly, but can post one in the morning.

Tuesday, November 15, 2011 10:38 PM
  • No thats not entirely true, it depends on the rules configured, in general miguser will include ALL files under the My Documents. The extentions for other files should be in the included for the remaining disk scan.

I will get an example and post it for you with comments to better explain this. I dont have a working version with me now unfortunatly, but can post one in the morning.

( I am migrating from XP to Win 7  only the XP image has My documents redirected to c:\data, not the windows 7 image.)

So if the client has the My documents redirected to c:\data on their XP image and inside of that directory they have multiple folders and files all files shoud be backed up ? A test run showed that the folders and known extensions where backed up from c:\data, but for example .pdf, .jpg, .wmv files where not backed up or restored and these files ext's where within the folders and root of c:\data.

So I don't know if I need to create a .xml which will backup c:\data and all files and folders inside it for it to work?

Wednesday, November 16, 2011 12:45 AM