none
Presence not showing on Outlook and SharePoint

Question

• Hi,

We use Lync 2013. And it was working fine until today. Presence stopped showing for all users on Outlook and SharePoint.

Any idea how to fix it or what to troubleshoot?

Thank you.

-Mehdi

Wednesday, August 07, 2013 2:00 AM

Answers

• Hi MehdiS,

You may get the issue easily after you know the process of the Presence.

Outlook presence status is displayed through a client side by using a dynamic link library called name.dll, then the file link to the lync API directly to request and display presence status within outlook. With the help of the office component which the outlook used, the sharepoint achieve the function too.

So the issue may cause by the breakdown of the name.dll file and something wrong with the lync API.

Please repair the office 2013, restart it and test the issue again.

You can also test the issue with other workstations as well.

Best Regards,

Eason Huang

• Marked as answer by MehdiS Sunday, August 11, 2013 11:56 PM
    Thursday, August 08, 2013 12:29 PM

All replies

• check you front end server services... I was going through few forum topics and got to know that microsoft is working on the fix for the issue that you have stated.

Prajwal Desai http://PrajwalDesai.Com

Wednesday, August 07, 2013 2:54 AM
  • All front end services are started and no problem there.

-Mehdi

Wednesday, August 07, 2013 4:11 AM
  • Hi MehdiS,

You may get the issue easily after you know the process of the Presence.

Outlook presence status is displayed through a client side by using a dynamic link library called name.dll, then the file link to the lync API directly to request and display presence status within outlook. With the help of the office component which the outlook used, the sharepoint achieve the function too.

So the issue may cause by the breakdown of the name.dll file and something wrong with the lync API.

Please repair the office 2013, restart it and test the issue again.

You can also test the issue with other workstations as well.

Best Regards,

Eason Huang

• Marked as answer by MehdiS Sunday, August 11, 2013 11:56 PM
    Thursday, August 08, 2013 12:29 PM
  • Thank you for your reply.

It worked after running a repair of Office 2013.

But the weird thing is the issue appeared the same day on all workstations. I fixed it for my workstation. I can run a repair on all workstations, but It's not normal that this dll got corrupted on all workstations at once. That is why I was looking on something more on the server side.

-Mehdi

Monday, August 12, 2013 12:01 AM