none
Outlook /Cleanrule affecting all mailboxes in a profile?

Question

• Can anyone confirm the scope of action with the /cleanrules switch? 

Just wondering as we've just seen rules getting purged from from secondary users mailbox when that command line switch was run from another users profile who had full access to the secondary users mailbox.

User A: full access to User B

User A runs Outlook.exe /cleanrules

User B has their rules also removed

Anyone seen this before, or is just coincidence that User B's rules have been wiped?

Monday, December 02, 2013 11:02 AM

Answers

• In Outlook 2010, rules are stored as hidden files within the pst or mailbox (Map in OST). As far as I know, the /cleanrules switch would start Outlook and delete client-based and server-based rules for the whole profile. Seems that you have two Exchange account in the same profile and the result is by design.

Tony Chen
    TechNet Community Support

• Marked as answer by aglees-stridon Monday, December 09, 2013 5:23 PM
    Sunday, December 08, 2013 2:44 PM

All replies

• In Outlook 2010, rules are stored as hidden files within the pst or mailbox (Map in OST). As far as I know, the /cleanrules switch would start Outlook and delete client-based and server-based rules for the whole profile. Seems that you have two Exchange account in the same profile and the result is by design.

Tony Chen
    TechNet Community Support

• Marked as answer by aglees-stridon Monday, December 09, 2013 5:23 PM
    Sunday, December 08, 2013 2:44 PM
  • OK thanks.

It's an Exchange 2013 environment, so with the UserA having full access to UserB that mailbox for UserB is automatically opened by Outlook on UserA's profile.

I guess that's a lesson for the future!

Monday, December 09, 2013 5:23 PM