none
Monitor Service

Question

• Dear All

I want to monitor specific service on some servers I make a computer groups but when use the monitor service I gent an error " connection to the selected computer has failed." but if I select one server working fine any idea for that  

Monday, October 07, 2013 6:52 AM

All replies

• Ensure the runbook server that runs the "Monitor Service' have the appropriate rights to monitor the services on that computer.

FYI, the 'Monitor Service' allows to connect to *one* computer only. however, if you want to monitor a service on multiple servers using one runbook. then, try to pass the server names to a .Net Script then return them as an ARRAY using the 'Publised Data' tab to 'Monitor Service' activity

the Runbook will be: .Net Script activity > Monitor Service activity

Save the servers names to C:\temp\servernames.txt , each server on separate line

PowerShell script

[Array]$server = @()

$ServerList= get-content C:\temp\servernames.txt

$srvs = $ServerList -split'`n'

foreach ($srv in $srvs){

#returned server ARRAY
    $server += $srv

}

in .Net Script > 'Publish Data' tab, add Server (Name) -  string (type) - Server (Variable)

then in 'Monitor Service', Computer: right click > Subscribe > Publish Data > Server from .Net Script

Note:

SCOM (if in place) is the best option to monitor services.

One runbook server can support up to 50 concurrent runbooks.

Monday, October 07, 2013 7:31 AM
  • Thanks for your reply

But the monitor service activity cant accept incoming links

Monday, October 07, 2013 7:58 AM
  • HI

If you want to check more then one server with the "monitor Service", create a global server group which you can use. It's more manageable then a text file.

When no connection is possible check if your Runbook account has elevated rights on those servers you want to monitor.

Monday, October 07, 2013 8:11 AM
  • Thanks for you reply

but please inform me how can I create a global server group

Monday, October 07, 2013 8:15 AM
  • lol :) my bad, of course 'Monitor activity' does not take incoming links

as I mentioned before, 'Monitor Service' can connect to one computer- check this thread as well http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/76e198e7-88df-48d9-b5f1-3813eacf83dd/monitor-service-able-to-be-associated-to-a-computer-group?forum=scogeneral

Monday, October 07, 2013 8:31 AM
  • Lets try with the global server group but I need to know how can I make it ?

Monday, October 07, 2013 9:16 AM
  • Anyone have any idea for that ?
    Tuesday, October 08, 2013 8:30 AM
  • Hello,

Look at this website:
    http://blogs.technet.com/b/opalis/archive/2010/05/05/global-settings.aspx 
    it's the same principle as used in Orchestrator.

If the monitor doesn't work with computer groups as stated by Ayman, you alsways can create a monitor Date/time with a 15 minutes interval (or so) which will trigger the "Get Service Status"  activity. From that with link conditions you can trigger the "Start/Stop Service"  activity to start the service.

Thursday, October 10, 2013 8:42 AM