none
Printer logs - haven't info about "Copy"

Question

• Hi. I try understand the logs Print servers runing on Windows Server 2008 R2 and 2012.
    I using the following printers: OKI MC351, Samsung SCX-4623FW and HP Officejet Pro 8100 N811a.
    I using different application for printing document: Notepad, WORD 2010, ADOBE READER 11, CHROME 28.

And this is result about log number 805: (+ means Copy is correct, - means Copy is not correct)

2008 R2 Notepad Word 2010 Adobe Reader 11 Chrome 28
    OKI MC351 + - + +
    Samsung SCX-4623FW - - - -
    HP Officejet Pro 8100 N811a - - - -
    OKI MC351 + - + -
    Samsung SCX-4623FW + - + +
    HP Officejet Pro 8100 N811a - - - -

On Server 2012 for Samsung printer i have install Universal driver, but when i installed it on 2008 R2 - no changes...

Why server haven't correctly logs about numbers Copies? Is it mistake OS or Drivers?

Thank you!

Monday, July 22, 2013 1:30 PM

Answers

• The application needs to support copy count as well as the driver.

There is a nice powershell script to parse the print-operational events and generate a report of printed jobs.  There was a note in the script on copy counts.

link to script

http://gallery.technet.microsoft.com/scriptcenter/Script-to-generate-print-84bdcf69#content

Implementation notes:
    - Case of a HP LaserJet P2055dn printer using the HP Universal Printing PCL 5 (v5.2) driver
        The printer reports 0 copies on all jobs.
        If a print job reporting 0 copies is seen by the script, it will output a warning and then consider the affected
          print job to be printed with 1 copy as a guess of what the actual number of copies was.
        The fix for this particular case was to upgrade the print driver to the HP Universal Printing PCL 5 (v5.5.0) driver.
    - Case of a HP LaserJet Pro 400 color printer model M451dn (CE957A) using the HP Universal Printing driver PCL 6 (v5.0.3),
      the HP Universal Printing PCL 5 (v5.2) driver and the HP Universal Printing PS driver (v.5.0.3):
        In all cases, this printer reports 1 copy of all jobs in Event ID 805, even when the user prints more than 1 copy of the job.
        There is no way for the script to detect this. It was discovered through observation.
        The fix was to clear the printer properties setting "Sharing > Render print jobs on client computers" (which is _enabled_ by default).
        With this change, the number of copies per job was reported accurately in the Windows event log.
        SUGGESTION: Check the generated .CSV file the first month and look check for printers that only ever report 1 copy of all jobs. These
          printers may need the work-around to render on the server-side.

Alan Morris Windows Printing Team

• Marked as answer by Anahaym Wednesday, July 24, 2013 8:21 AM
    Tuesday, July 23, 2013 5:18 PM

All replies

• Hi, 

We have a dedicated forum for print related queries. I recommend you seek help from concerning Print/fax forum, where experts responds to your query soon.

Thank you for understanding.

Regards, Ravikumar P

• Proposed as answer by KelsWheeler Monday, July 22, 2013 3:11 PM
    • Unproposed as answer by Anahaym Monday, July 22, 2013 3:46 PM
    Monday, July 22, 2013 2:38 PM
  • If moderators can - please, move my Theme to Print/fax forum
    Monday, July 22, 2013 3:48 PM
  • If moderators can - please, move my Theme to Print/fax forum

I'm moving this post to Print Service forum

TechNet Subscriber Support |If you have any feedback on Technet forum, please contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, July 23, 2013 5:14 AM
  • The application needs to support copy count as well as the driver.

There is a nice powershell script to parse the print-operational events and generate a report of printed jobs.  There was a note in the script on copy counts.

link to script

http://gallery.technet.microsoft.com/scriptcenter/Script-to-generate-print-84bdcf69#content

Implementation notes:
    - Case of a HP LaserJet P2055dn printer using the HP Universal Printing PCL 5 (v5.2) driver
        The printer reports 0 copies on all jobs.
        If a print job reporting 0 copies is seen by the script, it will output a warning and then consider the affected
          print job to be printed with 1 copy as a guess of what the actual number of copies was.
        The fix for this particular case was to upgrade the print driver to the HP Universal Printing PCL 5 (v5.5.0) driver.
    - Case of a HP LaserJet Pro 400 color printer model M451dn (CE957A) using the HP Universal Printing driver PCL 6 (v5.0.3),
      the HP Universal Printing PCL 5 (v5.2) driver and the HP Universal Printing PS driver (v.5.0.3):
        In all cases, this printer reports 1 copy of all jobs in Event ID 805, even when the user prints more than 1 copy of the job.
        There is no way for the script to detect this. It was discovered through observation.
        The fix was to clear the printer properties setting "Sharing > Render print jobs on client computers" (which is _enabled_ by default).
        With this change, the number of copies per job was reported accurately in the Windows event log.
        SUGGESTION: Check the generated .CSV file the first month and look check for printers that only ever report 1 copy of all jobs. These
          printers may need the work-around to render on the server-side.

• Marked as answer by Anahaym Wednesday, July 24, 2013 8:21 AM
    Tuesday, July 23, 2013 5:18 PM
  • After unset checkbox "Render print jobs on client computers" situation become better.

2008 R2 Notepad Word 2010 Adobe Reader 11 Chrome 28 EXCEL
    OKI MC351 + - + + +
    Samsung SCX-4623FW + - + + +
    HP Officejet Pro 8100 N811a + - + + +
    OKI MC351 + - + + +
    Samsung SCX-4623FW + - + + +
    HP Officejet Pro 8100 N811a + - + + +

WORD 2010 still have't copy count... I'll try with another version of Office.

And, i have question: is it important for printing use servers rendering?

Wednesday, July 24, 2013 8:20 AM
  • Word creates one document with all the copies rather than telling the printer here's the data, print this 10 times.

If there are special fonts in use on the clients, you may need to install the same fonts on the server.  If complex or graphic intensive print jobs are submitted there may be a server performance hit.  

If you configure Print driver isolation to Isolated, you can observe the memory and CPU of printisolationhost.exe when submitting various job types. 

Client rendering just distributes the rendering load since newer computers have plenty of memory and CPU available, even GPU.  My VMs don't get that boost.

Wednesday, July 24, 2013 5:38 PM
  • Means, Word create one document, and if i printed it 10 times, i get 1 Copy, but 10 Pages ? i'll must check it...
    Wednesday, July 24, 2013 9:40 PM
  • Means, Word create one document, and if i printed it 10 times, i get 1 Copy, but 10 Pages ?
    checked - no. only 1 Page.
    Thursday, July 25, 2013 1:02 PM
  • I don't know how Word is not reporting copies then.  If there is a Word forum you can ask there.

Friday, July 26, 2013 7:40 PM