none
Following Organization Rejected your Message

Question

• Hello,

Need some assistance tracking down an NDR issue for a specific email address. A couple of our users are emailing our companies bank rep. Every so often the users receive an NDR giving us the following error.

quote:
    The following organization rejected your message: [64.158.56.49].

and

quote:
    [64.158.56.49] #550 Hostname/Domain name not valid or not available. ##

I contacted the bank to let them know whats going on and they think this issue is on our side. The IP address is not our IP address, the bank states it's not theirs as well. The IP address is assigned to Level3 in colo facility in Washington DC. What's the best way to troubleshoot this problem, any suggestions?  I have tested to see if we are blacklisted but it looks like we are not.  We have not had any problems with sending email to other domains just the one.  Sometimes if we send again to the same address it goes through.  It does not always bounce back an NDR as well, it does work.

Thanks in advance,
    DC

Exchange 2007 and Outlook 2007.
    • Edited by DougCC Monday, November 15, 2010 10:55 PM more info
    Monday, November 15, 2010 9:56 PM

Answers

• On Mon, 15 Nov 2010 21:56:46 +0000, DougCC wrote:

>Hello, Need some assistance tracking down an NDR issue for a specific email address. A couple of our users are emailing our companies bank rep. Every so often the users receive an NDR giving us the following error. quote:
    >The following organization rejected your message: [64.158.56.49].
    >and quote:
    >[64.158.56.49] #550 Hostname/Domain name not valid or not available. ##
    >I contacted the bank to let them know whats going on and they think this issue is on our side. The IP address is not our IP address, the bank states it's not theirs as well. The IP address is assigned to Level3 in colo facility in Washington DC. What's the best way to troubleshoot this problem, any suggestions? I have tested to see if we are blacklisted but it looks like we are not. We have not had any problems with sending email to other domains just the one. Sometimes if we send again to the same address it goes through. It does not always bounce back an NDR as well, it does work. Thanks in advance, DC Exchange 2007 and Outlook 2007.

You're not using them as a smart host so the only explanation I can
    think of is a DNS problem. There's no reason why you'd be sending
    e-mail for the bank to that IP address, is there? You have the target
    domain . . . do they have secondary (or tertiary) MX records that
    would direct you to that IP address? Does the "A" record for the
    domain point to that IP address? How about a CNAME record for the
    domain?
    ---
    Rich Matheisen
    MCSE+I, Exchange MVP

--- Rich Matheisen MCSE+I, Exchange MVP
    • Marked as answer by Allen Song Friday, November 26, 2010 9:10 AM