none
Windows SBS 2011 Active sync setting?

Question

• I just migrated from SBS 2008 to SBS 2011, everything went smooth except I have one email account that does not sync with her iPhone, her OWA & her Outlook works with that specific account. I tried different iPhones I get the same error "Cannot Get Mail- The connection to the server Failed"  I have 9 other iPhones with 18 different emails and all is working fine.
    Wednesday, January 23, 2013 3:28 PM

Answers

• What settings do you have in the iPhone?

Have you removed the account and added it back? (from the phone)

You probably know the settings, but this might be useful.

http://titlerequired.com/2011/10/27/sbs-2011-standard-iphone/

Robert Pearman SBS MVP | www.titlerequired.com | www.itauthority.co.uk

Thursday, January 24, 2013 10:43 AM
  • Hi,

is this account maybe an Administrator or Domain Admin account. There are a couple of protected groups that have a protection by default. 

Please see this post: http://blog.ronnypot.nl/?p=115

Regards Ronny
    -------------
    Visit my Blog or follow me on Twitter

Thursday, January 24, 2013 10:53 AM
  • Can you delete from the phone, then run the query again - if the issue persists can you use 'remove-activesyncdevice' http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb125032%28v=exchg.141%29.aspx

• Marked as answer by Sam 2403 Monday, February 04, 2013 12:42 PM
    Monday, February 04, 2013 10:25 AM

All replies

• What settings do you have in the iPhone?

Have you removed the account and added it back? (from the phone)

You probably know the settings, but this might be useful.

http://titlerequired.com/2011/10/27/sbs-2011-standard-iphone/

Thursday, January 24, 2013 10:43 AM
  • Hi,

is this account maybe an Administrator or Domain Admin account. There are a couple of protected groups that have a protection by default. 

Please see this post: http://blog.ronnypot.nl/?p=115

Regards Ronny
    -------------

Thursday, January 24, 2013 10:53 AM
  • 1) I used two different iPhones and I get the same errors. I have 11 other emails that sync with their iPhones with no problem.

2) I checked the Group Membership and it is the same as others which sync properly.

3) I checked the problem mailbox Mailbox property in Exch Managment console, Mailbox Features and Exch Active Sync is Enabled.

Does anyone know how to check this mailbox setting in ADSiEdit ?

Thursday, January 24, 2013 1:19 PM
  • I create a new account and It sync with the iphone with no issue. However I have lots of emails on this particular account and I do not want to export and import.
    Thursday, January 24, 2013 1:21 PM
  • Does anyone know how to change one particular mailbox settings for ActiveSync in ADSiedit ?

Does anyone know how to change one particular mailbox settings for ActiveSync in Exchange Management Shell ?

Thursday, January 24, 2013 1:24 PM
  • Are there any errors on the server when you are trying to sync that account?

Also use the testexchangeconnectivity.com site for that user.

Thursday, January 24, 2013 1:41 PM
  • I am getting MSExchange ActiveSync EventID : 1008 error for that particular user SSChubert in Eventvwr as below:

Log Name:      Application
    Source:        MSExchange ActiveSync
    Date:          1/24/2013 8:32:58 AM
    Event ID:      1008
    Task Category: Requests
    Level:         Warning
    Keywords:      Classic
    User:          N/A
    Computer:      ARISTA-FS1.arista.local
    Description:
    An exception occurred and was handled by Exchange ActiveSync. This may have been caused by an outdated or corrupted Exchange ActiveSync device partnership. This can occur if a user tries to modify the same item from multiple computers. If this is the case, Exchange ActiveSync will re-create the partnership with the device. Items will be updated at the next synchronization. 

URL=/Microsoft-Server-ActiveSync/default.eas?User=sschubert&DeviceId=Appl7R03903DA4T&DeviceType=iPhone&Cmd=FolderSync
    --- Exception start ---
    Exception type: Microsoft.Exchange.AirSync.AirSyncPermanentException
    Exception message: A null value was received for the NTSD security descriptor of container CN=ExchangeActiveSyncDevices,CN=Stephanie Schubert (ACG),OU=SBSUsers,OU=Users,OU=MyBusiness,DC=arista,DC=local.
    Exception level: 0
    HttpStatusCode: 500
    AirSyncStatusCode: 110
    XmlResponse: 
    This request does not contain a WBXML response.
    Exception stack trace:    at Microsoft.Exchange.AirSync.ADDeviceManager.SetActiveSyncDeviceContainerPermissions(ActiveSyncDevices container)
       at Microsoft.Exchange.AirSync.ADDeviceManager.CreateActiveSyncDeviceContainer(Boolean retryIfFailed)
       at Microsoft.Exchange.AirSync.ADDeviceManager.CreateActiveSyncDevice(GlobalInfo globalInfo, ExDateTime syncStorageCreationTime, Boolean retryIfFailed)
       at Microsoft.Exchange.AirSync.Command.UpdateADDevice(GlobalInfo globalInfo)
       at Microsoft.Exchange.AirSync.Command.CompleteDeviceAccessProcessing()
       at Microsoft.Exchange.AirSync.Command.WorkerThread()
    --- Exception end ---.
    Event Xml:
    <Event xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event">
      <System>
        <Provider Name="MSExchange ActiveSync" />
        <EventID Qualifiers="32772">1008</EventID>
        <Level>3</Level>
        <Task>1</Task>
        <Keywords>0x80000000000000</Keywords>
        <TimeCreated SystemTime="2013-01-24T13:32:58.000000000Z" />
        <EventRecordID>15009</EventRecordID>
        <Channel>Application</Channel>
        <Computer>ARISTA-FS1.arista.local</Computer>
        <Security />
      </System>
      <EventData>
        <Data>/Microsoft-Server-ActiveSync/default.eas?User=sschubert&amp;DeviceId=Appl7R03903DA4T&amp;DeviceType=iPhone&amp;Cmd=FolderSync</Data>
        <Data>--- Exception start ---
    Exception type: Microsoft.Exchange.AirSync.AirSyncPermanentException
    Exception message: A null value was received for the NTSD security descriptor of container CN=ExchangeActiveSyncDevices,CN=Stephanie Schubert (ACG),OU=SBSUsers,OU=Users,OU=MyBusiness,DC=arista,DC=local.
    Exception level: 0
    HttpStatusCode: 500
    AirSyncStatusCode: 110
    XmlResponse: 
    This request does not contain a WBXML response.
    Exception stack trace:    at Microsoft.Exchange.AirSync.ADDeviceManager.SetActiveSyncDeviceContainerPermissions(ActiveSyncDevices container)
       at Microsoft.Exchange.AirSync.ADDeviceManager.CreateActiveSyncDeviceContainer(Boolean retryIfFailed)
       at Microsoft.Exchange.AirSync.ADDeviceManager.CreateActiveSyncDevice(GlobalInfo globalInfo, ExDateTime syncStorageCreationTime, Boolean retryIfFailed)
       at Microsoft.Exchange.AirSync.Command.UpdateADDevice(GlobalInfo globalInfo)
       at Microsoft.Exchange.AirSync.Command.CompleteDeviceAccessProcessing()
       at Microsoft.Exchange.AirSync.Command.WorkerThread()
    --- Exception end ---</Data>
      </EventData>
    </Event>

Thursday, January 24, 2013 1:51 PM
  • "An exception occurred and was handled by Exchange ActiveSync. This may have been caused by an outdated or corrupted Exchange ActiveSync device partnership" 

Looks like a corrupted partnership is blocking, open Exchange Management Console, go to Recepient Configuration and choose Mailbox right click the problematic users mailbox and choose Manage Mobile Phone, see if there are any connections available and remove them. When everything is gone try again.

Regards Ronny
    -------------

Thursday, January 24, 2013 2:08 PM
  • No mobile devices exist in problematic user Manage Mobile phone!  She has two more accounts in ths same Exchange server that they sync properly with the same iPhone. 
    Thursday, January 24, 2013 3:12 PM
  • How many devices are trying to access this particular account?

Have you rebooted the server since the issue occurred?

Thursday, January 24, 2013 3:21 PM
  • two devices are accessing that problematic account.

I know the limit is 10 devices to access. I have another account that we are accessing 9 devices to access.

Yes I have rebooted the server.

Thursday, January 24, 2013 3:26 PM
  • I think I have an Autodiscover issue since my Connectivity test failed as below:
    Thursday, January 24, 2013 3:33 PM
  • Hi,

real strange you have an error in the eventlog about a corrupted connection and there is no connection configured.

The eventlog is about DeviceID: Appl7R03903DA4T can you do a Get-ActiveSyncDevice | where {$_.deviceid -eq "Appl7R03903DA4T"} and see what is connected to this device.

Regards Ronny
    -------------

Thursday, January 24, 2013 3:34 PM
  • two devices are accessing the account - and are working? or are having errors?

Thursday, January 24, 2013 3:35 PM
  • I setup two iPhones to access the problematic account and both get the same errors

Thursday, January 24, 2013 4:54 PM
  • I ran the Get-ActiveSyncDevice and it appears that the above device is the same iPhone and the error is about her second Exchange account as below:

She has three exchange account like other 9 individual in the office and everyone else's ActiveSync works just fine with their corresponding iPhones.

She has has the following emails: ACG, AIA and INU

Thursday, January 24, 2013 5:01 PM
  • Can you delete from the phone, then run the query again - if the issue persists can you use 'remove-activesyncdevice' http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb125032%28v=exchg.141%29.aspx

• Marked as answer by Sam 2403 Monday, February 04, 2013 12:42 PM
    Monday, February 04, 2013 10:25 AM
  • Hi Sam,

It took me forever to figure this out but it's an AD permissions issue. The same thing was happening for me for a single user and from SBS 2008 to SBS 2011. It's a simple fix:

Enable inheritable permissions for the user in question.

1. Open Active Directory Users and Computers.
    2. On the menu at the top of the console, click View > Advanced Features.
    3. Locate and right-click the mailbox account in the console, and then click Properties.
    4. Click the Security tab.
    5. Click Advanced.
    6. Make sure that the check box for "Include inheritable permissions from this object's parent" is selected.
    • Proposed as answer by taney Thursday, January 02, 2014 9:32 PM
    Thursday, January 02, 2014 9:32 PM