none
System Center 2012 for What Size Networks?

Question

• I am starting a new small business technology venture offering network support to firms with 15 to 100 clients.  We will offer 2012 Essentials, 2012 Server, Hyper-V virtualization along with SQL Server database development and Exchange support and high availability using Starwind Native SAN.  I am new to Private Cloud scenarios and System Center.  At what point, if any, do I consider using these options considering that I am only servicing small networks.  Are there Private Cloud and Systems Center applications for networks this size.  Excuse my ignorance. 

Michael T. Glenn

Sunday, September 22, 2013 12:28 AM

All replies

• Michael,

Instead of installing SCOM in each customer site, you could install SCOM centrally in your datacentre (if you have one) and place Gateway servers on each customer site. The Gateway server would then connect back to your central SCOM installation for management. DPM doesn't allow you to install the product in this way and requires way too many ports open to make it a viable option.

HTH

Cheers

Luke

Sunday, September 22, 2013 1:53 AM
  • I am starting a new small business technology venture offering network support to firms with 15 to 100 clients.  We will offer 2012 Essentials, 2012 Server, Hyper-V virtualization along with SQL Server database development and Exchange support and high availability using Starwind Native SAN.  I am new to Private Cloud scenarios and System Center.  At what point, if any, do I consider using these options considering that I am only servicing small networks.  Are there Private Cloud and Systems Center applications for networks this size.  Excuse my ignorance.

Do you want to use System Center for your private management or do you plan to offer it to your customers (thru some wrapper? direct?) using Software-as-a-Service model?

StarWind iSCSI SAN & NAS

Sunday, September 22, 2013 12:19 PM