none
The driver detected a controller error on \Device\Harddisk1\DR4

Question

• Problem: Windows System Event Error 11 - The driver detected a controller error on \Device\Harddisk1\DR4

Environment: Windows Small Business Server 2011 Standard Edition using SBS Console Backup and Server Storage.

Backup Device: Seagate 2TB USB 3.0 Seagate FreeAgent GoFlex Desk (4 drives in rotation).

The backup is scheduled for 11:00PM each night. A complete backup is performed. Please note the errors do not occur during the backup.

According to the website below drive disk drives should work okay with SBS2011 (Windows 2008 R2).

Small Business Server 2003, 2008, 2011 - External Backup Drives Compatibility List

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/wiki/contents/articles/1780.aspx

External Hard Drives Rating Table for SBS

Manufacturer

Model(s)

Part Number(s)

SBS2003

SBS2008

SBS2011

Seagate

FreeAgent GoFlex Desk 2TB

9ZQAN1-570

?

? USB 2.0
    OK USB 3.0

OK USB 2.0
    OK USB 3.0

Below are the events that occur just before and after the Event 11.

Time: 7:00:00 AM

Level: Information

Type: Application

Event ID: 753

Source: Backup

Description: The Block Level Backup Engine service has successfully started.

Time: 7:00:00

Type: System

Event ID: 7036

Source: Service Control Manager

Description: The Microsoft Software Shadow Copy Provider server entered the running state.

Time: 7:00:00

Description: The Block Level Backup Engine service entered the running state.

Time: 7:00:01

Level: Error

Event ID: 11

Source: Disk

Description: The driver detected a controller error on \Device\Harddisk1\DR4.

Time:7:03:14

Description: The Volume Shadow Copy server entered the stopped state.

This event error occurs with two different Seagate drives.

Does anyone know how I can determine whether there really is a controller error occuring?

Thanks,

Howard

Wednesday, December 07, 2011 8:36 PM

Answers

• Problem apparently solved.

Once I connected my Seagate FreeAgent GoFlex Desk drive via a USB 2.0 cable directly to a USB port in my Dell T310 server the disk event errors went away. Remember that the errors never occured during a backup (see comments previously in this posting). I believe that the errors only occured around Volume Shadow Copy events.

When I have used a USB 3.0 cable to a LaCie USB 3.0 card in the server I was getting event error 11.

I did notice that the LaCie USB 3.0 card did not come with drivers for Windows 2008 so this could be the problem also.

According to Microsoft documentation only USB 2.0 or IEEE1394 interfaces are supported. See below.

http://blogs.technet.com/b/sbs/archive/2008/11/03/introducing-sbs-2008-backup.aspx

Introducing SBS 2008 Backup 3 Nov 2008 2:30 PM

"You can back up your data to any external storage drive that supports USB 2.0 or IEEE 1394."

Does anyone know how I can find out if USB 3.0 drives are supported on SBS 2011 (Windows 2008 R2)?

Thanks

Howard

Hi Howard, it seems that you have resolved the issue in another thread regarding the same issue.

For USB 3.0 drives and compatiblity with SBS2011, you can check the following link:

Small Business Server 2003, 2008, 2011 - External Backup Drives Compatibility List

Thanks.

Sean Zhu
    TechNet Subscriber Support in forum
    If you have any feedback on our support, please contact tnmff@microsoft.com

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    Monday, December 12, 2011 6:50 AM

All replies

• How is it connected to the server?

Wednesday, December 07, 2011 9:11 PM
  • The Dell T310 has a USB 3.0 card installed. The drive is connected via the USB 3.0 cable that came with the drive.

Please let me know if you need any further information.

Howard

Wednesday, December 07, 2011 9:46 PM
  • Can you try it on the usb 2 just for grins?

Wednesday, December 07, 2011 9:50 PM
  • I could try it on a USB 2.0 cable but remember that the error does not occur when the backup is running.

When the backup is actually accessing the drive to backup files no errors are encountered.

I will try to switch the cables before the next error is due and let you know the results.

Thanks,

Howard

Wednesday, December 07, 2011 10:01 PM
  • drive going to sleep? I think Seagate have a utility to control sleep.

at least as a test, turn off any powermanagement on the drive, should it be available.

Wednesday, December 07, 2011 11:13 PM
  • I am familiar with the Seagate drive going to sleep and their utility.

That could be the problem but the error event does not occur when the backup runs.

However both changing the UBS cable and turning off the power management are good ideas.

That are worth a try.

Thursday, December 08, 2011 1:30 AM
  • Problem apparently solved.

Once I connected my Seagate FreeAgent GoFlex Desk drive via a USB 2.0 cable directly to a USB port in my Dell T310 server the disk event errors went away. Remember that the errors never occured during a backup (see comments previously in this posting). I believe that the errors only occured around Volume Shadow Copy events.

When I have used a USB 3.0 cable to a LaCie USB 3.0 card in the server I was getting event error 11.

I did notice that the LaCie USB 3.0 card did not come with drivers for Windows 2008 so this could be the problem also.

According to Microsoft documentation only USB 2.0 or IEEE1394 interfaces are supported. See below.

http://blogs.technet.com/b/sbs/archive/2008/11/03/introducing-sbs-2008-backup.aspx

Introducing SBS 2008 Backup 3 Nov 2008 2:30 PM

"You can back up your data to any external storage drive that supports USB 2.0 or IEEE 1394."

Does anyone know how I can find out if USB 3.0 drives are supported on SBS 2011 (Windows 2008 R2)?

Thanks

Howard

Hi Howard, it seems that you have resolved the issue in another thread regarding the same issue.

For USB 3.0 drives and compatiblity with SBS2011, you can check the following link:

Thanks.

Sean Zhu
    TechNet Subscriber Support in forum
    If you have any feedback on our support, please contact tnmff@microsoft.com

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    Monday, December 12, 2011 6:50 AM
  • Sean:

It appears that the issue is not resolved. I switched from a USB 3.0 connection to a USB 2.0 connection and the error went away for two days only to return on the third day.

I cannot account for why the error went away for the two day period.

Howard

Friday, December 16, 2011 2:06 PM