none
Calander in Cube and Custom Period

Question

I am very rusty in my MDX skills. But I am trying to create a calclulated time member in the cube so users can review in (ugh excel)

in the calculation of the cube I have a named calc as [4Weeks]

The mdx is [Time].[Week].lag(4)

When i process and view - the calculation only appears as "[Time].[Year - Month - Week Time Calculations]"

The member does not appear until i place a filter on it, and I do not have any results. I've looked in the PACKT publishing MDX Cookbook with no luck and I'll have to admit that the Calandering in SSAS is....well...not exactly the sweet spot of the product!!!

KDW

Saturday, November 16, 2013 4:32 PM

All replies

• Hi Siera,

In your scenario, you create a calculated time member with custom period in the cube without successful. Custom period is relatively common in financial accounting where a business calendar is made up of groups of the same number of weeks over a financial year. Here is a blog about how to create custom calendars in SQL Server Analysis Services step by step, please see:
    Creating Custom Calendars in SQL Server Analysis Services

Hope this helps.

Regards,
    Charlie Liao

If you have any feedback on our support, please click here.

Charlie Liao
    TechNet Community Support

Tuesday, November 19, 2013 7:37 AM
  • Charlie -

I'm not sure if you actually looked at the solution or just referenced it as a possible solution, but it does not provide period over period analysis, growth, growth % etc...

KDW

Tuesday, November 19, 2013 4:46 PM
  • Hi Siera,

Thank you for your question. 

I am trying to involve someone more familiar with this topic for a further look at this issue. Sometime delay might be expected from the job transferring. Your patience is greatly appreciated. 

Thank you for your understanding and support.

Regards,

Charlie Liao
    TechNet Community Support

Wednesday, November 20, 2013 3:07 AM
  • Hello Siera,

Can you please let us know what you are expected to get from this calculated member? What is the purpose of the member? How do you plan to use it? What is the expected result?

The current definition [Time].[Week].lag(4), means ([Measures].defaultMember, [Time].[Week].CurrentMember.lag(4)) or ([Measures].CurrentMember, [Time].[Week].CurrentMember.lag(4)), depends on whether the user puts a measure in Excel or not. It is a numeric result that find the measure value 4 weeks ago from the current week hierarchy member. I am hoping it is probably not what the want? Can you please clarify.

Thanks.

Meer Al - MSFT

Tuesday, December 03, 2013 2:52 AM