none
4 to 5 questions on Booting with .vhdx on Win8.1 Pro.

Question

• Hi,

Host OS: Win8.1 Pro.

Guest OS: Win8.1 Pro.

I am developer not an admin guy, so my questions might be basic.  It all started because Windows 8.1 Hyper-V does not support running WinPhone emulator within a virtual machine.  ( I do not wish to use host OS, I want to do all learnings within virtual machine only. )   So i tried to attached .VHDX from disk management and then use BCDBoot.exe to configure machine to boot itself from .vhdx.    A couple of my observations...

Q1. After boot I see that the Guest OS is now C:  and  HOST OS is now available as a next drive.   Can I absolutely hide HOST OS, because otherwise its vulnerable to virus attacks as Guest OS may not be antivirus protected.  I do not wish Guest OS to recognize anything then its own C: drive.  How do i protect it.

Q2. During boot it asks me to choose operating system.  Both are windows 8, so it confuses me... can i edit the names or add some kind of description.... so that i can identify which one i want to use.

Q3.  After rebooting back with original Host OS , I see that under disk management - I had 'attached vhdx' that was showing me as G: drive, no longer exists.   Why so ?

Q4. I want to remove the boot entry created by BCDboot, What is the command for it ?

Regards

Wednesday, April 30, 2014 8:55 AM

Answers

• >Q1.

It's not really hidden, but going into disk management, and removing the drive letter makes it so most things can't get to it.  There's no way to totally hide it because the host OS has to see it because that's where the VHD is.

If that "guest" OS (it's not actually a guest since you are booting the hardware with it.) accesses the internet, it should have antivirus installed..

>Q2.

Use the BCDEDIT command to relabel one of them.  An example would be:

bcdedit /set {current} description "Windows 8 Phone development"

Would be the command if you are booted into the Windows a that has the emulator.

>Q3. 

Attaching VHD's isn't sticky, they don't stay mounted after reboots.  You have to actually attach it again if you want to access it.

>Q4.

First use BCDEDIT /enum /v to get the GUID of the one you want to delete, then,

bcdedit /delete {GUID}

Bob Comer

• Edited by Bob Comer Wednesday, April 30, 2014 1:27 PM make it easier to read
    • Marked as answer by Jignesh Desai Wednesday, April 30, 2014 1:43 PM
    Wednesday, April 30, 2014 1:26 PM

All replies

• >Q1.

It's not really hidden, but going into disk management, and removing the drive letter makes it so most things can't get to it.  There's no way to totally hide it because the host OS has to see it because that's where the VHD is.

If that "guest" OS (it's not actually a guest since you are booting the hardware with it.) accesses the internet, it should have antivirus installed..

>Q2.

Use the BCDEDIT command to relabel one of them.  An example would be:

bcdedit /set {current} description "Windows 8 Phone development"

Would be the command if you are booted into the Windows a that has the emulator.

>Q3. 

Attaching VHD's isn't sticky, they don't stay mounted after reboots.  You have to actually attach it again if you want to access it.

>Q4.

First use BCDEDIT /enum /v to get the GUID of the one you want to delete, then,

bcdedit /delete {GUID}

Bob Comer

• Edited by Bob Comer Wednesday, April 30, 2014 1:27 PM make it easier to read
    • Marked as answer by Jignesh Desai Wednesday, April 30, 2014 1:43 PM
    Wednesday, April 30, 2014 1:26 PM
  • Thanks Bob. :)
    Wednesday, April 30, 2014 1:44 PM
  • You're welcome!

Bob Comer
    Wednesday, April 30, 2014 2:11 PM