Excel Services Access Denied Error for SharePoint 2007 with Kerberos

Question

• We have a sharepoint 2007 farm with the following configuration

• Web 4 (WFE + Excel Services)
    • Web 5 (WFE + Excel Serices)
    • Web 6 (Search Query)
    • Index1 (Index Server)
    • sql (Sql server)

Three basic accounts, farm (for central admin, SSP, SSP WebApp), Pool (All other web applicaiton)

Two web applications (info.xxxx.com and port.xxxx.com), Shared Services - SSPI. The web front ends are load balanced with DNS.

We configured SPNs, For the farm account, Pool account, Set the computers and accounts to allow for delegation. Set the component servers to delegate.

Every thing works fine except for the excel services. When the host file is set to hit Web 4 everything works fine, But we target web 5, half of the excel webparts in the dashboard fail with access denied error. When we checked the farm logs, we see that for those it is trying to go through the web4/excel services which fails with authentication.

Any ideas on how to fix/debug this issue?

Wednesday, February 15, 2012 1:43 PM

All replies

• Hi Varma,

As I understand, you have started the Excel Service both on Web 4 and Web 5. But When you try to access the Excel Web Part in Web 5, it give you an “access denied” error, am I right?
    The issue may be caused by the NLB Excel Service in the two web server.
    I suggest you try to stop the Excel Service in Web 4, and then start the Excel Service in Web 5, and share your result.

I will try to involve some others to deal with this problem.
    http://stackoverflow.com/questions/5093961/sharepoint-excel-services-nlb

Thanks,
    Wayne Fan
    TechNet Subscriber Support in forum
    If you have any feedback on our support, please contact  tnmff@microsoft.com.

Wayne Fan

TechNet Community Support

Thursday, February 16, 2012 1:16 AM
  • We have tried stopping the excel service on web 5, When the request goes to Web 4, everything works fine, because both excel and WFE are running on the same box. But if the request goes to WFE 5 and Since it doesn't have the excel services running the request for Excel goes to Web 4 where it is failing with access denied for the EXCEL webparts, The rest of the page loads fine
    Thursday, February 16, 2012 6:42 PM
  • Hello,

It looks like Kerberos is not configured correctly for Web 5 box. Please look at following resources and ensure Kerberos is configured correctly

Please remember to click 'Mark as Answer' on the post that helps you or click 'Unmark as Answer' if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

Regards,
    Nishant Shah
    Microsoft Online Community Support

Friday, February 17, 2012 1:07 PM