none
Windows cannot detect Backup system image file

Question

• Hi,

I am not too sure if this is the right forum but here goes:
    I am trying to simulate a disaster recovery scenario with 2 DPM servers virtualised with Hyper-V.

I am trying to perform a bare metal recovery of a DPM server from a second backup DPM server.
    Once I have synced up to the system file initially I can use the recover feature to begin bare metal recovery by creating a windows system image backup.
    This is then supposed to be used in conjunction with a Windows installation DVD. Choose repair computer option. I moved the backup to an internal SATA drive which I had taken offline and added to the virtual machine that would become the restored DPM server.

The installation disk would always report that no system image could be found. I had taken care to have the drive letters containing the backup be exactly the same. I also made sure that the WindowsSystemImage folder was located on the root of the drive.

Is there any magic bullet, config I can do to get the installation disc to detect my backup?

It was performed using DPM, so I am unsure as to why I am struggling to have it detected.

Thanks,
    Guy

Thursday, February 02, 2012 8:10 PM

Answers

• Hi Mike,

Thanks for the help. The real reason for the backups not being marked as BMR or system state is because the System Reserved partition created during installation of the server was only 32 MB instead of the default 100 MB. Not too sure why this happens, but it prevents any System state backups from being performed and gives an out of space error. The only thing that will be backed up are files , apps or volumes. I then deleted Sytem Reserved partition as it is only required for Bitlocker and then the BMR backup went through and was detected perfectly by Server installation disk :)
    Life's good.

Guy

Monday, February 13, 2012 4:58 PM

All replies

• Hi,

Please review this video and see if that helps.

DPM 2010 BMR
    http://www.microsoft.com/showcase/en/us/details/bec0b1c6-d1fd-41f0-b4bc-df5791dfc68d

Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    Friday, February 03, 2012 5:33 PM
  • Thanks for the link.

I followed the video precisely, and yet the Windows 2008 R2 Server installation disk still cant pick up the system image backup made by DPM.

My only option is to install Server 2008 R2 and try to do a restore from the DPM backup from within the vanilla installation.

The server 2008 backup system seems to be very inconsistent. Any other ideas will be more than welcome.

Monday, February 06, 2012 9:55 AM
  • Hi try this.

On the removable disk where you restored the BMR backup to, share out the folder containing the WindowsImageBackup folder.  In the below directory structure, share out the DPM_Recovered_At_7-9-2010_4.2.31PM folder as a share called BMR.

D:\DPM_7-8-2010_19.17.9\DPM_Recovered_At_7-9-2010_4.2.31PM\WindowsImageBackup

On any Windows 2008 Server (or Windows 2008 R2 if it was a BMR from a Windows 2008 R2 system), from a command line run:

wbadmin get versions -backuptarget:\\server\BMR

You should output similar to the following

wbadmin 1.0 - Backup command-line tool
    (C) Copyright 2004 Microsoft Corp.

The times of the backups displayed are based on the timezone of the current
    operating system you have booted into.
    The timezone used currently is (GMT -08:00) Pacific Standard Time

Backup time: date and time
    Backup target: Network Share labeled \\server\BMR
    Version identifier: date-time
    Can Recover: Volume(s), File(s), Application(s), Bare Metal Recovery

Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    Monday, February 06, 2012 4:23 PM
  • Hi,

Ran command line.

The "Can Recover" line reports the following:
    Volumes, Files, Applications

Bare metal recovery is not mentioned at all.

Tks,

Guy

Tuesday, February 07, 2012 6:45 AM
  • That explains why the BMR restore is not working, are you certain that was a BMR backup you restored, and not just systemstate ?

If you run the below command on the protected server and let it finish, then use the "Get Versions"  command, does that list Bare Metal Recovery ?

wbadmin.exe start backup -allcritical -backuptarget:\\server\bmr

Tuesday, February 07, 2012 4:00 PM
  • Hi Mike,

Thanks for the help. The real reason for the backups not being marked as BMR or system state is because the System Reserved partition created during installation of the server was only 32 MB instead of the default 100 MB. Not too sure why this happens, but it prevents any System state backups from being performed and gives an out of space error. The only thing that will be backed up are files , apps or volumes. I then deleted Sytem Reserved partition as it is only required for Bitlocker and then the BMR backup went through and was detected perfectly by Server installation disk :)
    Life's good.

Guy

Monday, February 13, 2012 4:58 PM