none
Technet Standard Keys

Question

• Did I miss a change to the Technet Standard Subscription? When I first purchased the subscription a couple of months ago the download page told me I could get 10 keys for each product. Today I went to generate a new key and many of the software packages have changed to only 2 keys available (Windows 7, Office 2010, etc). Is this a permanent change to the subscription or am I just not accessing something correctly?
    Thursday, September 16, 2010 2:38 PM

Answers

• I contacted TechNet Support as I thought my recent renewal might have caused this.  I was informed that due to abuse of the program all TechNet members were being dropped down to two keys.  In addition if you need additional keys a simple phone call will no longer suffice as they need to escalate the issue and you have to be "approved" for additional keys.

I personally have only requested a total of roughly 7 keys throughout my entire subscription to TechNet and the moment I need more I am effectively shut down.  I requested two additional keys and pointed out that obviously i was not abusing the system and still 3 days after the issue being escalated I have yet to be given any additional keys.

I'm sorry, but unless Microsoft grandfathers me to the old allotment which is what I was under the impression I was paying for I'll have to ask for a refund as I just renewed last month and the keys I *need* I cannot obtain.

Friday, September 17, 2010 9:14 PM
  • I'm sorry for the delay in our response here.  This first change went through on the website a little bit sooner than the folks who were doing the messaging, and we finally have both nailed down.  We will be updating the Subscriptions FAQ shortly to reflect this as well.

As of last Wednesday, the number of keys per product TechNet Standard customers is 2 keys.  The new limit for TechNet Professional customesr is 5 keys . 

If customers have previously claimed more than 2 or 5 keys for these products, those keys are still visible, and activations performed using these keys will still be valid.  

Thanks,
    Mike

MSDN and TechNet Subscriptions Support
    Monday, September 20, 2010 6:06 PM
    Owner
  • mange takk !

(jag började tro jag var dum...)

is there a list somewhere, showing the number (and type) of keys & activations for each program ?

There is no official list of how many keys you get per product. But except the list under, you get 10 keys per product. And ONE MAK key per Windows Server 2008 and R2 product. And a MAK key for Vista Enterprise on Technet Pro (100 activations). Here is a almost complete list of all the software you get on Technet (add Office 2010)

And here is my list with the number of keys per product that has changed the last week:

Office 2010 Standard - 2 or 5 keys.
    Office 2010 Proplus - 2 or 5 keys.
    Windows 7 Starter - 2 or 5 keys.
    Windows 7 Starter N and KN - 2 or 5 keys.
    Windows 7 Home Basic - 2 or 5 keys.
    Windows 7 Home Premium - 2 or 5 keys.
    Windows 7 Home Premium N and KN - 2 or 5 keys.
    Windows 7 Professional - 2 or 5 keys.
    Windows 7 Professional N and KN - 2 or 5 keys.
    Windows 7 Ultimate - 2 or 5 keys.
    Windows 7 Ultimate N and KN - 2 or 5 keys.
    Windows 7 Enterprise - 500 activations only on Technet Pro (One MAK key = 500 activations) This MAK key also work on Win 7 Professional.
    Office 2007 Standard - 2 or 5 keys.
    Office 2007 Enterprise - 2 or 5 keys.
    Office 2007 Ultimate - 2 or 5 keys.
    Office 2007 Professional - 2 or 5 keys.
    Office 2007 Professional Plus - 2 or 5 keys.
    Access 2007 - 2 or 5 keys.
    Access 2010 - 2 or 5 keys.
    Windows XP Home Edition - 2 or 5 keys.
    Windows XP Home Edition K - 2 or 5 keys.
    Windows XP Home Edition KN - 2 or 5 keys.
    Windows XP Tablet PC Edition - 10 keys.
    Windows XP Professional - 2 or 5 keys.
    Windows XP Professional Edition K - 2 or 5 keys.
    Windows XP Professional Edition KN - 2 or 5 keys.
    Windows XP Professional x64 Edition - 2 or 5 keys.
    Windows XP Media Center Edition - 2 or 5 keys.

You understand that 2 keys = Technet Standard and 5 keys = Technet pro? So we are clear on that.

2 keys = 20 activations
    5 keys = 50 activations

All other software gives you 10 keys. Or ONE MAK key with 500 activations (Server 2008 and R2) and 100 activations for Vista Enterprise (only on Technet Pro)

Edit: 28.09.10: New policy in place from yesterday, you now only get 5 or 2 keys for EVERY product on Technet. The numbers of activations for the MAK keys has not changed, but everything else has.

Kenneth Myhre
    Wednesday, September 22, 2010 11:53 AM
  • Remember that every key can be activated 10 times then, so if you don't have used up 20 activations, you can use one of the two keys you have available just now, and wait to see if MS fix the problem (if there is a problem, maybe they have reduced the number of keys as they did on BizSpark accounts (MSDN) because of huge misuse of keys).

Kenneth Myhre
    Friday, September 17, 2010 3:39 PM
  • Can anybody confirm the same that I see on my account, that the only programs that has reduced number of keys is:

Access 2007 and Access 2010

Office 2007 - All versions

Office 2010 - All versions

Windows 7 - All versions

Windows XP - Except Windows XP Tablet PC Edition.

All other software has the "normal" numbers of 10, or 1 (MAK keys and VA keys). Still don't think this is a error from MS side. Most likely a new changed, they started before the time, and before they sent out any information about it to their customers, and support teams. Remember, it has been a massive misuse of Technet and MSDN licenses the last year. People can not use the accounts the way the EULA describe it, and they sells licenses to cover their fee, at least. Many "invest" $200, and can sell each licenses of Win7 for $50-150, the same with each Office 2007/2010 license. And many sells the same license 10 times, at least.

Kenneth Myhre
    Sunday, September 19, 2010 6:12 AM
  • I agree that MS should have posted a official statement about the number of activation per key. But since this program (Technet) is aimed at companies that needs to evaluate MS software and since they don't want the pirates to still buy Technet subscriptions, and the rules is different for lots of the software, and types of SKUs, MAK keys etc, they job will not be done.

But I have found this on MSDN, and as all know (or should know) MSDN and Technet uses the same PID numbers and key range, so as long as it's stated on MSDN it also apply on Technet. If not, they have to start giving out new key ranges (PIDs) only for Technet.

But as long as they don't post a official statement on the number of unique activations are allowed per key then it is anybody's guess on the answer.  They post on the download page how many keys you can claim per product why would it be any harder to indicate the number of activations per key there? 

If you are saying that Microsoft doesn't reveal the number of activations per key to keep pirates from buying Technet subscripions then why are you revealing it here in this forum.  Since you are revealing that information then Microsoft should just go ahead and make an official statement on it and settle this matter.

Why should I know that MSDN and Technet use the same PID number and key range?  I do not have a MSDN subscription to make any kind of comparison.  Since I cannot confirm your claim then I will not assume that the same rules that apply to MSDN also apply to Technet.  If you can provide reference proving your assertion about PID and key range are the same on Technet and MSDN then I will reconsider it.

I really do not think at this point that continuing this conversation is worth it.  Your convinced that there is ten activations per retail key.  It's my opnon that the only person who knows the number of activations is Microsoft and everyone else just guessing based on experience.  If experience is anything to go on,  then Microsoft will change that number in the same manner that they change the number of product keys. 

I would not be surprised at some time that Microsoft cuts the number of activations per retail key to one to further combat piracy.  When that time comes the only people on Technet will be the pirates because what a GREAT deal they would get for the software compared to the price they paid.  All the legitimate users would have left because of Microsoft's underhanded ways of dealing with the suitation of piracy and misuse of Technet.

Wednesday, October 06, 2010 1:09 PM
  • Thanks for your post Kittler.  

To answer your questions, 1) No this was not an error.  TechNet Standard customers now get 2 keys.

2) It would really depend on the key that you're using, mostly that its not a virtual key.  The best route to get this question answered is to contact technet Subscriptions Customer Support, whose contact information is posted here:http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/subscriptions/bb856399.aspx

Thanks,

Mike

Monday, September 20, 2010 6:11 PM
    Owner
  • Nice response again Kenneth.  The official statement from the TechNet Product Management team is:

TechNet Subscriptions provide the earliest access to products for IT Professionals. The license doesn’t specify access to a specific number of product keys.  The policy regarding volume of product keys allowed for the products that have key limits was set based on typical key volumes required for software evaluation in most IT Professional work situations.

Thanks,
    Mike 

Monday, September 20, 2010 9:10 PM
    Owner
  • MS has now updated one of their Technet FAQ ( Product Keys FAQ ) with this info:

Anti-Piracy Policy Changes

Q. NEW Question: Why weren’t TechNet subscribers notified in advance?

A. Unfortunately, Microsoft was not able to communicate this policy change in advance because it would increase the programs exposure to piracy if it became widely known that key availability would become limited. Having said this, as soon as the change was made we updated the TechNet Subscription user portal messaging, FAQ, and notified the Call Centers to ensure customer issues and concerns would be addressed appropriately. We regret this may have caused any inconvenience or confusion to legitimate subscribers.

Q. What is the anti-piracy policy change?

A. Microsoft is committed to helping prevent software piracy, which often results in end users being the victims of software counterfeiters. Counterfeiters abuse product keys to create fake software packages and distribute these to the public. These packages are not licensed, do not have support, and can also include malware and spyware. Therefore, Microsoft has decided to limit the number of product keys available through TechNet Subscriptions, for all products, to five for TechNet Professional and two for TechNet Standard. TechNet Subscriptions is intended to support software trial and evaluation, versus a production environment.  We offer other programs for volume purchasing and installation.   We believe this change maintains a sufficient number of product keys for the majority of our customers based on usage data, while greatly reducing the overall risk of piracy and counterfeiting.  We apologize for any inconvenience or confusion that this action may have caused our subscribers.

Q. How many keys do I get with the products I download or receive on disk as part of my TechNet Subscription?

A. If you purchased a TechNet subscription through a Volume License agreement you get Volume Licensing keys for the products that need them. For purchase directly from Microsoft or through a reseller the following applies:

• TechNet Professional (RETAIL): Current policy is that subscribers may access a maximum allocation of five keys from the download portal for use during the Subscription year to be used during the software evaluation process.
    • TechNet Standard (RETAIL):Current policy is that subscribers may access a maximum allocation of two keys from the download portal for use during the Subscription year to be used during the software evaluation process.

Q. I used to be able to receive additional keys with my TechNet Subscription, how come I no longer can?

A. Microsoft regularly reviews its product offerings relative to customer usage and other market conditions.  As a result we have decided to make this change to the TechNet Subscriptions program.  We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause.

Q. I don't have enough keys and/or activations to evaluate the software on all of my machines.  What do I do?

A. In additional to purchasing another TechNet Subscription, there are trial versions of Microsoft software available from the TechNet Software Evaluation Center located at http://technet.microsoft.com/evalcenter/default.aspx

Kenneth Myhre
    Saturday, September 25, 2010 10:50 PM
  • I think everyone's made their point here so far in the thread.  The number of keys per subscription is now spelled out in our FAQ and, as has been mentioned above, the policy now affects all products.  

Its been made clear that the number of keys per subscription wasn't listed in the Subscriptions EULA, which is true.  The difficulty that some customers have experienced with this change is real, however, and we always encourage open and honest feedback and discussions directly through our support teams and openly here on the forums.   

This comes after much discussion and concern and frustration from many people I work with and work for on the team over the past few months.  As it states in the FAQ, the goal here is to allow us to continue supporting our IT Pro audience with the TechNet Subscription as a software evaluation program while mitigating illegitimate counterfeiting and piracy activities.  We continue to regret any inconvenience or confusion this may have caused to our legitimate subscribers.

As always, we look forward to hearing from you.

Thanks,
    Mike

Monday, September 27, 2010 3:55 PM
    Owner

All replies

• I am also experiencing this same issue.

When I signed up month ago I had 10max lic available per product, now only two?

I hope this is not a permanent change.

Thursday, September 16, 2010 7:45 PM
  • Great, after months whitout any need for a key, this had to happen today?!!

1. So 2 questions: is this it, only 2 keys? Please tell it was an error, or the "old" subscriptions will go back to 10...

2. I have a few virtual machines already activated (yay!! More than 2 keys!! \o/ ). If I delet this VM, will the (3rd, 4th...) key activate on a real PC?

Friday, September 17, 2010 1:29 AM
  • Remember that every key can be activated 10 times then, so if you don't have used up 20 activations, you can use one of the two keys you have available just now, and wait to see if MS fix the problem (if there is a problem, maybe they have reduced the number of keys as they did on BizSpark accounts (MSDN) because of huge misuse of keys).

Kenneth Myhre
    Friday, September 17, 2010 3:39 PM

Kenneth Myhre

Except when one has used those 2 keys of Office 2010 to wrong language version.

Yes, I took english versions first. Just wanted to see how they work in two different systems and how the english versios is. Now I can not get any finnish version, because I no longer have keys left dot dot dot

I have in effect wasted good money here.

Friday, September 17, 2010 4:02 PM
  • I contacted TechNet Support as I thought my recent renewal might have caused this.  I was informed that due to abuse of the program all TechNet members were being dropped down to two keys.  In addition if you need additional keys a simple phone call will no longer suffice as they need to escalate the issue and you have to be "approved" for additional keys.

I personally have only requested a total of roughly 7 keys throughout my entire subscription to TechNet and the moment I need more I am effectively shut down.  I requested two additional keys and pointed out that obviously i was not abusing the system and still 3 days after the issue being escalated I have yet to be given any additional keys.

I'm sorry, but unless Microsoft grandfathers me to the old allotment which is what I was under the impression I was paying for I'll have to ask for a refund as I just renewed last month and the keys I *need* I cannot obtain.

Friday, September 17, 2010 9:14 PM

Kenneth Myhre

OK just so I have this right.  I now only have 2 keys, but each one can be used for 10 activations, so I can take those 2 keys and activate 20 different computers at the same time?  That's more than enough for me, but I do feel sorry for those who already activated their keys to the max thinking they had 8 more keys coming.
    Friday, September 17, 2010 11:28 PM
  • Sorry to see that the people that misuse the system, make life hard on the people that is not misusing the system. Still, I got a advice when I first got my account, that it was smart to generate all the keys, and save the .xml file, so I did it. Good now, since I then have 10 keys to everything.

Do this apply to Technet Standard only, or both Standard and Pro? I do not have access to my pro account just now because of a money back refund on a renewing I did, that was not right. So I can not check before they get my account online again.

Kenneth Myhre
    Friday, September 17, 2010 11:58 PM

Kenneth Myhre

OK just so I have this right.  I now only have 2 keys, but each one can be used for 10 activations, so I can take those 2 keys and activate 20 different computers at the same time?  That's more than enough for me, but I do feel sorry for those who already activated their keys to the max thinking they had 8 more keys coming.

Why didn't I get all the keys I could...

I hate me right know for trusting Microsoft (but i am glad to know they do not trust me either - so now we are on the same page).

Of course, there is no way at all that the 10 activations will stop working.
    Why would it?

Saturday, September 18, 2010 12:40 AM
  • I'm also having this issue. I don't quite understand why microsoft feels it must lower the max keys for everyone by 80 percent of what they were! I retrieved keys as I needed them, and for some products I've retrieved 3 keys, and so now can't get any more even if I need more! Keep in mind I have no problem purchasing software, but some software such as windows XP for example, I don't believe can be purchased through any retail channel, yet via Technet I can still now only get 2 keys for xp as well! What is Microsoft so afraid of here? How exactly do you abuse retrieving of keys? All of us here on technet pay for this subscription, so it'd be nice if we were at least told what was going on. I test software configurations on both xp and windows 7 setups, and I usually would grab a new key when I needed to test on a new machine. Please don't tell me I was abusing retrieving of keys by doing it that way?

If they must lower the max key counts, I'd be happy with dropping them by half maybe, so maybe standard users get 5 and pro get the full 10, but to lower every user to just 2 keys? Can I withdraw my technet subscription and get a refund if I feel I need to? Again I'm just venting, as I wanted to obtain a windows xp key this morning and was shocked to see that I could not, as I'd already retrieved 2 keys previously! I hope we at least can get an explanation as to why this is happening.

Finally, is there any microsoft subscription that still allows for the full 10 keys? I was told technet pro users now get a wapping 5 keys now.

Saturday, September 18, 2010 1:08 AM
  • Anybody that know bout any official site there Microsoft has described this changes? I can not find any thing online direct from Microsoft, telling about this changes.

And I think they should reduce their price with 80% for Technet Standard and 50% for Technet Pro, since we get 80% less keys on Standard and 50% less keys on Pro.

I also think that the best solution for MS was to reduce the number of keys on NEW accounts, letting all other have access to 10 keys. Because, if anybody have got an account to sell keys, they have most likely already generated all the keys and sold them. Users that has not generated all keys are most likely genuine users, and should not suffer because somebody is misusing the program.

Microsoft should post this new info on the ordering page, so people know what they get. And then they can decide if they need 2 or 5 keys, and what plan to go for. This will most likely stop the misuse of Technet subscriptions, and then MS can increase the number of keys again within a year or so.

Kenneth Myhre
    Saturday, September 18, 2010 8:07 AM
  • harry: Initial Question/Comment: why are accounts being limited to 5 keys now?

http://tinyurl.com/nz38gn

Kevin Liang has joined this session!

Connected with Kevin Liang. Your reference number for this chat session is 2522194.

Kevin Liang: Thank you Harry for contacting the TechNet Online Concierge. Please give me a moment while I review your question.

Kevin Liang: Harry, this is a web site issue. Our TechNet team is working on it. Sorry for the inconvenience.

harry: oh, it is not new policy from Microsoft?

Kevin Liang: It is just a web site issue. When it is fixed, the subscribers can request 10 product keys again.

harry: ok, it is being reported that MS is changing it's policy and limiting keys to 5

Kevin Liang: That's not true.

harry: thank you for clearing that up. i will post what you have told me to correct that

Kevin Liang: It is my pleasure to help you.

harry: have a nice day.

Kevin Liang: Have a nice day.
    Saturday, September 18, 2010 8:28 PM
  • Can anybody confirm the same that I see on my account, that the only programs that has reduced number of keys is:

Access 2007 and Access 2010

Office 2007 - All versions

Office 2010 - All versions

Windows 7 - All versions

Windows XP - Except Windows XP Tablet PC Edition.

All other software has the "normal" numbers of 10, or 1 (MAK keys and VA keys). Still don't think this is a error from MS side. Most likely a new changed, they started before the time, and before they sent out any information about it to their customers, and support teams. Remember, it has been a massive misuse of Technet and MSDN licenses the last year. People can not use the accounts the way the EULA describe it, and they sells licenses to cover their fee, at least. Many "invest" $200, and can sell each licenses of Win7 for $50-150, the same with each Office 2007/2010 license. And many sells the same license 10 times, at least.

Kenneth Myhre
    Sunday, September 19, 2010 6:12 AM
  • Yes the software that has been reduced is the same software set in mine as you listed. What I want to know though is why they are limiting windows XP keys. Can anyone even purchase a brand new copy of xp if they wanted to do so? If so, where? I myself have one xp machine, and should I ever lose my XP disc, I'd like to be able to purchase another but am doubting I can. Anyway I hope those of us that want it can get a refund of our technet subscription money, since I'm sure many folks like myself thought that 1 key equaled 1 activation, and so expected 10 keys. At least I can still use the 3 keys I have for those products where I did get a third key prior to this crazy change. Does anyone also notice that for those products where we've been reduced to just 2 keys, it now says for technet standard users (technet standard) next to the product name in the list of product keys? I'm doing all this rambling I guess to say it would've been nice if we were notified of these clarely planned changes, then at least we would've expected them
    Sunday, September 19, 2010 7:13 AM
  • Yes the software that has been reduced is the same software set in mine as you listed. What I want to know though is why they are limiting windows XP keys. Can anyone even purchase a brand new copy of xp if they wanted to do so? If so, where? I myself have one xp machine, and should I ever lose my XP disc, I'd like to be able to purchase another but am doubting I can. Anyway I hope those of us that want it can get a refund of our technet subscription money, since I'm sure many folks like myself thought that 1 key equaled 1 activation, and so expected 10 keys. At least I can still use the 3 keys I have for those products where I did get a third key prior to this crazy change. Does anyone also notice that for those products where we've been reduced to just 2 keys, it now says for technet standard users (technet standard) next to the product name in the list of product keys? I'm doing all this rambling I guess to say it would've been nice if we were notified of these clarely planned changes, then at least we would've expected them

That's why they most likely have reduced the number of keys for XP, because this is one of the only legal way to get both XP product keys and .iso files.

About the name beside the product: On my account it says Office Professional Plus 2010 (TechNet Professional) etc, so clearly not an error, they have changed the settings for the two subscriptions.

Kenneth Myhre
    Sunday, September 19, 2010 10:06 AM
  • Except when one has used those 2 keys of Office 2010 to wrong language version.

Yes, I took english versions first. Just wanted to see how they work in two different systems and how the english versios is. Now I can not get any finnish version, because I no longer have keys left dot dot dot

Just tried this now, did a fresh install of Office 2010 ProPlus on two computers. One Norwegian and one English. Used the same key on both installation, and did a manual activation after the installation. I first activated the Norwegian version, then 1 minute after I activated the English version. No problems at all.

The only time I have seen that problem, was with Outlook 2007. I installed the Norwegian version first, but changed it to the English version, because of a US company had to test some settings, and then I had to call MS to activate the same key again.

But as I have seen on my test today, it's no problem activating different languages with the same Technet key using Office 2010.

Kenneth Myhre
    Sunday, September 19, 2010 11:02 AM
  • Except when one has used those 2 keys of Office 2010 to wrong language version.

Just tried this now, did a fresh install of Office 2010 ProPlus on two computers. One Norwegian and one English. Used the same key on both installation, and did a manual activation after the installation. I first activated the Norwegian version, then 1 minute after I activated the English version. No problems at all.

The only time I have seen that problem, was with Outlook 2007. I installed the Norwegian version first, but changed it to the English version, because of a US company had to test some settings, and then I had to call MS to activate the same key again.

But as I have seen on my test today, it's no problem activating different languages with the same Technet key using Office 2010.

Kenneth Myhre

When I went to download Office 2010 ProPlus I didn't have an option for language.  In fact I only have one download available for the .exe file , but above it I see a download for a language pack.  I'm guessing that I can download the .exe, and then the language pack for whatever language I need?  Got me with all these changes.  I wish MS would just give us all the terms/changes prior to making them then we wouldn't have to guess if something is a test, a change, or an error.  Back to the limit of keys available, so to get it straight, Pro accounts now get 5 keys, and Standard gets 2.  Still not to bad for me with the standard account.  I have activated more than one computer with the same key to test different conditions, and have had no issues, so from what I know you still can use a key I think up to 10 times for activations, so with 2 keys I get 20 machines per each edition of Windows.  My testing enviornment is very small, but I can see where it can be an issue with larger groups.
    Sunday, September 19, 2010 3:04 PM
  • When I went to download Office 2010 ProPlus I didn't have an option for language.  In fact I only have one download available for the .exe file , but above it I see a download for a language pack.  I'm guessing that I can download the .exe, and then the language pack for whatever language I need?  Got me with all these changes.  I wish MS would just give us all the terms/changes prior to making them then we wouldn't have to guess if something is a test, a change, or an error.  Back to the limit of keys available, so to get it straight, Pro accounts now get 5 keys, and Standard gets 2.  Still not to bad for me with the standard account.  I have activated more than one computer with the same key to test different conditions, and have had no issues, so from what I know you still can use a key I think up to 10 times for activations, so with 2 keys I get 20 machines per each edition of Windows.  My testing enviornment is very small, but I can see where it can be an issue with larger groups.
    You can change the language of the .iso files before you download it. When you go to Downloads, you have a choice that is called Languages. There you can pick from all the language MS makes software to. Choose your language, and then you can download any .iso file in your language (if it's available then). Take a look here: Screen image and you're correct with the numbers of activations. 2 keys = 20 activations, on one computer, or one activation on 20 computers etc. I do not think many people needs 100 activations for each products. Remember that you can use a Technet key on several computers on the same time, so in fact you can have 10 different computers using the same key all at the same time.

Kenneth Myhre
    Sunday, September 19, 2010 3:52 PM
  • I'm sorry for the delay in our response here.  This first change went through on the website a little bit sooner than the folks who were doing the messaging, and we finally have both nailed down.  We will be updating the Subscriptions FAQ shortly to reflect this as well.

As of last Wednesday, the number of keys per product TechNet Standard customers is 2 keys.  The new limit for TechNet Professional customesr is 5 keys . 

If customers have previously claimed more than 2 or 5 keys for these products, those keys are still visible, and activations performed using these keys will still be valid.  

Thanks,
    Mike

Monday, September 20, 2010 6:06 PM
    Owner
  • Thanks for your post Kittler.  

To answer your questions, 1) No this was not an error.  TechNet Standard customers now get 2 keys.

2) It would really depend on the key that you're using, mostly that its not a virtual key.  The best route to get this question answered is to contact technet Subscriptions Customer Support, whose contact information is posted here:http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/subscriptions/bb856399.aspx

Thanks,

Mike

Monday, September 20, 2010 6:11 PM
    Owner
  • This is correct Bobby.  You can use the same key on multiple machines for Windows products.

Thanks,
    Mike

Monday, September 20, 2010 6:13 PM
    Owner
  • Different limits are set for TechNet Standard and for TechNet Professional, Kenneth.  As I said in my reply to the original post, we'll be posting more information about this change in the near future.

Let me know if you have any questions and thanks for being helpful here.

Thanks,
    Mike

Monday, September 20, 2010 6:14 PM
    Owner
  • As has been previously mentioned in this thread Monty, you can re-use each key multiple times (almost always, keys work for 10 activations).  I'm not aware of any TechNet subscription that allows for 10 keys, however I know that some MSDN Subscriptions allow this.

Thanks,
    Mike

Monday, September 20, 2010 6:17 PM
    Owner
  • Thanks for your feedback Kenneth. I'll make sure to pass your comments onto the TechNet Product Management team.

I know we are working towards making this information available on the TechNet Subscriptions support pages.

Thanks
    Mike

Monday, September 20, 2010 6:18 PM
    Owner
  • Harry,

unfortunately Kevin didn't have the latest information when you and he were chatting.  This is a policy change.

Thanks,
    Mike

Monday, September 20, 2010 6:19 PM
    Owner
  • So what happens when those 2 keys / 20 activations are spent?
    Monday, September 20, 2010 6:23 PM
  • It would have been nice if we'd been informed of this change in policy BEFORE it took place as I renewed my subscription three days before the policy took place.

I would like to have known beforehand that this was coming.

Monday, September 20, 2010 6:25 PM
  • Thanks for your question Petsku.  The way to get more product keys is to purchase another subscription. These limits are defined per subscription license.  

Thanks,
    Mike

Monday, September 20, 2010 6:26 PM
    Owner
  • Understood PChuck, thanks for your feedback.

Thanks,
    Mike

Monday, September 20, 2010 6:30 PM
    Owner
  • Harry,

unfortunately Kevin didn't have the latest information when you and he were chatting.  This is a policy change.

Thanks,
    Mike

thank you for clearing that up. i do have one other question about activations per key. how many times can you activate per key? i have activated at least 16 times with the key i have been using for 7 ultimate. some are saying you only get 10 activations per key.
    Monday, September 20, 2010 7:17 PM
  • Unfortunately nothing with keys is ever simple Harry :)   The product in question, the type of key you've used, the number of times you've used it on the same machine, and the number of times used on different machines are all factors.  Its long been the standard that the number of activations on different machines is 10 per key, but there are many exceptions to this, and it could be that a few of your activations were done on the same hardware.    Clear as mud?  Sorry about that.  

I'll take one of my Win7 Ultimate keys I have for TechNet and see if I can get some hard numbers for you.

Thanks,
    Mike

Monday, September 20, 2010 7:31 PM
    Owner

• thank you for clearing that up. i do have one other question about activations per key. how many times can you activate per key? i have activated at least 16 times with the key i have been using for 7 ultimate. some are saying you only get 10 activations per key.

It's always no rules without exceptions. You can activate ONE key 10 times online. And about 15-25 times with the phone. (We are talking about Technet keys, not normal retail keys). But if there is some time between each online activation, you may be lucky and you can then activate more then 10 times per key.

On the other side, luck is nothing to depend on, so it's most safely to say that you can activate each key 10 times online, and a unknown number of times over the phone.

About the resent change in terms...to sorry to see Microsoft has to go this way. Punish all their legit customers that have paid for their Technet subscription. I can understand that you do the change for new customers, but all that had Technet now, could had kept their right number of keys.

And still no info about this, on Technet frontpage, FAQ, comparison page etc. And your comparison sheet . don't have Office 2010 listed, and still the wrong info about that you get Windows Server 2008 R2 Web and Datacenter with Technet Standard. That's not the case. You only get R2 Standard and Enterprise.

Kenneth Myhre
    Monday, September 20, 2010 7:35 PM
  • i frequently format and try different programs out plus i have upgradeitis pretty bad so i upgrade often,i have changed motherboards and hard drives and video card 1 time all on this same key
    Monday, September 20, 2010 7:42 PM
  • these activations for me have all been online and not over the phone. must be blessed key :)
    Monday, September 20, 2010 7:44 PM
  • Thanks for clearing that up Mike.

I have to say I'm really a bit disappointed in Microsoft for its draconian methods.  Last year when I signed up, I received but one copy of the Technet magazine before you discontinued it and made it available online only.  I was disappointed then but understanding as printed material costs money.  And although I have nothing to read when on the can anymore, I still placed value in having the Technet subscription and the remaining benefits it offered.

This year when presented with the option of a Standard vs Professional subsciption, I choose the standard - knowing that I would still be able to have access to the latest software and stay up to date with Microsoft products.  And dont get me wrong, I feel it is still a good value for the access you receive. 

What I have a real problem with is changing the terms of our agreement after I have paid you.  I paid and renewed my subscription rather than getting a new subscription.  The maximum number of keys I had ever requested was 3, but now I'm over the new cap and screwed if i need any additional.  The policy should have been put in play with an announcement for new/renewing subscriptions prior to it going into effect.

It's also shame that I'll have to buy an iPad to read the Technet magazine on the toilet.

-RA

• Edited by Round_Arc Monday, September 20, 2010 8:02 PM I should learn to proof read
    Monday, September 20, 2010 7:53 PM
  • Thank you for getting us an answer. At least we now know it's a policy change and not an error.

I agree that it would have been nice to have been given some advance notice on this; I suppose the reason that wasn't done was to prevent a "run" on people generating keys.

Since the number of keys on the Standard Subscription have been dropped to 2, can we upgrade our subscriptions to the Pro level or is it simply better to let this subscription expire and then purchase a Pro level subscription? I know if I purchase a new Pro license I'll get to "start over" and generate 5 keys but it would be nice to not have to pay the full, initial price for a Pro subscription since we paid for the standard subscription under the impression we'd get 10 keys.

Monday, September 20, 2010 8:05 PM
  • mbeaver: If you let your current account expire, then buy a new one you will get a new set of keys. So then you are up to 7 keys for all the products there is out now. But when a new product comes out, you still only have access to 5 keys, if they limit that software.

Remember, there always a coupon if you buy Technet Pro, so the price will be $261 at the most.

I can also see the effect of people knowing MS going to reduce the number of keys, "everyone" had generated all their keys at once. On the other side, this has been mention as a good practice before, when you get your account, generate all keys, and save the .xml file.

Kenneth Myhre
    Monday, September 20, 2010 8:14 PM
  • They reduced the Professional one to 5 at the same time. Without any announcement, just "smack"-gone.

Smells a little like someone in Redmond need to understand that an agreement is something made by more than one party, especially when there's money involved...

//Svein

Monday, September 20, 2010 9:01 PM
  • They reduced the Professional one to 5 at the same time. Without any announcement, just "smack"-gone.

Smells a little like someone in Redmond need to understand that an agreement is something made by more than one party, especially when there's money involved...

//Svein

Sorry to say it, but the number of keys is not mention one place on the Technet site, FAQ, agreement etc. So in fact, they can do what they want with the number of keys. They do tell something about what software you get with the different subscriptions, and how you can use the software, numbers of support tickets etc. They can not change anything there without breaching the agreement with their customers. But the number of keys for each product...they can reduce it to 1 key if they like. (Don't think they will get many happy customers, and/or any new ones, but still, they can do it).  (Men kjipt er det Svein, regner med at du er fra Norge du også? )

Kenneth Myhre
    Monday, September 20, 2010 9:07 PM
  •  (Men kjipt er det Svein, regner med at du er fra Norge du også? )

Mhm

//Svein

• Nice response again Kenneth.  The official statement from the TechNet Product Management team is:

TechNet Subscriptions provide the earliest access to products for IT Professionals. The license doesn’t specify access to a specific number of product keys.  The policy regarding volume of product keys allowed for the products that have key limits was set based on typical key volumes required for software evaluation in most IT Professional work situations.

Thanks,
    Mike 

Owner
  • Thank you for clearing that up.  I have one other question, or more of a rumor I have seen hear and there since the key number change, and maybe you can answer this Mike.  The rumor goes that along with the reduction of keys one can get once a subscription expires the keys will be automatically deactivated.  Is there any truth to this rumor?  I sure hope not.  Thanks again for taking the time to answer our questions.
    Monday, September 20, 2010 9:43 PM
  • Will this change affect Action Pack subscriptions as well or is it only TechNet?
    Tuesday, September 21, 2010 10:28 AM

Thanks,
    Mike 

Mike why don't you provide an interface where customers can manage their activations? Is this so hard? When I don't need a installation anymore I can disable the activation an everything is fine. Adobe does this the same way.

On the other hand customers pay for something and microsoft changes the product without any notifications to their customers. that's not a fine way.

Best Regards,

Thomas

Tuesday, September 21, 2010 3:49 PM
  • Just tried this now, did a fresh install of Office 2010 ProPlus on two computers. One Norwegian and one English. Used the same key on both installation, and did a manual activation after the installation. I first activated the Norwegian version, then 1 minute after I activated the English version. No problems at all.

Kenneth Myhre

My understand of this issue as well is that it specifically pertains to Office Applications (i.e. separate versions of Word, Outlook, Excel, etc.), not the Office Suite.  Good to know that a phone activation is one method of dealing with it.

Thanks,
    Mike

Tuesday, September 21, 2010 6:04 PM
    Owner
  • I really appreciate that feedback RA, and have passed it on to the TechNet Product management team.  I also understand the importance of sacred reading time :)  

Mike

Tuesday, September 21, 2010 6:07 PM
    Owner
  •  The rumor goes that along with the reduction of keys one can get once a subscription expires the keys will be automatically deactivated.  Is there any truth to this rumor?

Rumors run wild at this time. It'd would be interesting to know answer to this.

What comes to using same key in different language office packs yes it seems to work :) I used my key to activate finnish language version just fine.

Tuesday, September 21, 2010 7:09 PM
  • There's no truth to that rumor Petsku.

However, I'm sure if some non-compliant activity like piracy is discovered occurring with specific keys or users in TechNet, that Microsoft will act on that information to limit the piracy activity as much as possible.  

Thanks,
    Mike

Tuesday, September 21, 2010 7:25 PM
    Owner
  • Has anyone called about a refund? I find it odd that MS can change the terms of our deal midstream. I bought in with the deal being 10 keys and now I am (pro) down to 5.

It is not the same product I purchased a few months back.

Tuesday, September 21, 2010 8:40 PM
  • Has anyone called about a refund? I find it odd that MS can change the terms of our deal midstream. I bought in with the deal being 10 keys and now I am (pro) down to 5.

I know it's frustrating to see MS cut your keys with 50% or 80%, but still, where did you read about that you would get 10 keys per products? And the reduction is only for desktop version of Microsoft products, like Windows 7, Windows XP, Office 2007 and Office 2010. All other software has the same amount of keys that always. since you have a Pro account, you still have 500 activations on Windows 7 Enterprise and Pro. So you can test Windows 7 allot before you run out of activations.

And all server software also has 500 activations (not Windows Server 2003, but 2008 and 2008 R2). But good luck trying to get your money back from this.

Of course, I still think MS should have kept the number of keys for existing customers, and only used the new reduced numbers on new customers...but that is another thing.

Kenneth Myhre
    • Edited by Kenneth Myhre Tuesday, September 21, 2010 8:50 PM typo
    Tuesday, September 21, 2010 8:49 PM
  • "where did you read about that you would get 10 keys per products?"

I didn't read it, we have just always gotten 10 keys in the past. I have had subscriptions in the past and always had 10 keys. 

It was common knowledge that with a technet (now pro technet) subscription, you got 10 keys.

When I purchased this subscription, I could get 10 keys until just a few days ago .

Tuesday, September 21, 2010 9:04 PM

I know it's frustrating to see MS cut your keys with 50% or 80%, but still, where did you read about that you would get 10 keys per products? And the reduction is only for desktop version of Microsoft products, like Windows 7, Windows XP, Office 2007 and Office 2010. All other software has the same amount of keys that always. since you have a Pro account, you still have 500 activations on Windows 7 Enterprise and Pro. So you can test Windows 7 allot before you run out of activations.

And all server software also has 500 activations (not Windows Server 2003, but 2008 and 2008 R2). But good luck trying to get your money back from this.

Of course, I still think MS should have kept the number of keys for existing customers, and only used the new reduced numbers on new customers...but that is another thing.

Kenneth Myhre

hi !

500 activations ?

could you please explain how you calculate ?

5 keys with 10 activations / key = 50 ?

Tuesday, September 21, 2010 11:17 PM
  • hi !

500 activations ?

Each MAK key has 500 activations. And you get:

Technet Pro:

• Windows Server 2008: Standard and Enterprise = 1 MAK key, DataCenter = 1 MAK key, Web and HPC = 1 MAK key. Total of 1.500 activations on Server 2008
    • Windows Server 2008 R2: Standard and Enterprise = 1 MAK key, DataCenter = 1 MAK key, Web and HPC = 1 MAK key. Total of 1.500 activations on Server 2008 R2
    • Windows 7 Enterprise and Professional = 1 MAK key
    • Windows Vista Enterprise and Business = 1 MAK key (only 100 activations)

Technet Standard:

• Windows Server 2008: Standard and Enterprise = 1 MAK key, DataCenter = 1 MAK key. Total of 1.000 activation on Server 2008
    • Windows Server 2008 R2: Standard and Enterprise = 1 MAK key.
    So you can not say you don't get enough Windows Server activations. But on desktop software as Windows 7, Windows XP, Office 2007 and Office 2010 you get 2 x 10 or 5 x 10 activations at the max.
    Kenneth Myhre
    Wednesday, September 22, 2010 12:13 AM
  • hi !

500 activations ?

Each MAK key has 500 activations. And you get:

Technet Pro:

• Windows Server 2008: Standard and Enterprise = 1 MAK key, DataCenter = 1 MAK key, Web and HPC = 1 MAK key. Total of 1.500 activations on Server 2008
    • Windows Server 2008 R2: Standard and Enterprise = 1 MAK key, DataCenter = 1 MAK key, Web and HPC = 1 MAK key. Total of 1.500 activations on Server 2008 R2
    • Windows 7 Enterprise and Professional = 1 MAK key
    • Windows Vista Enterprise and Business = 1 MAK key (only 100 activations)

Technet Standard:

• Windows Server 2008: Standard and Enterprise = 1 MAK key, DataCenter = 1 MAK key. Total of 1.000 activation on Server 2008
    • Windows Server 2008 R2: Standard and Enterprise = 1 MAK key.
    So you can not say you don't get enough Windows Server activations. But on desktop software as Windows 7, Windows XP, Office 2007 and Office 2010 you get 2 x 10 or 5 x 10 activations at the max.
    Kenneth Myhre

mange takk !

is there a list somewhere, showing the number (and type) of keys & activations for each program ?

Wednesday, September 22, 2010 1:30 AM
  • e

Dear mike,

I could understand it is due to piracy issue, but it also affect who use it properly.

I know that MS does not write number of license we could get in the terms too, but most subscriber know they could get 10 keys before purchase and that's why they purchase. MS just change it arbitrarily, so MS could change it 1 key 1 activation later or remove all other product and just give you a DOS for evaluation?

What I want to say is the change should apply to new subscription only but not existing subscription, or MS should give us some choices like refund.  For existing subscription. if the change are due to piracy issue, it didn't work. Piracy must obtain all 10 keys once subscribed to technet, so this change only affect people use it properly.

Please remove the change from existing subscriber or REFUND, thanks.

Edit:

Besides, increase number of activation also a choice?

Wednesday, September 22, 2010 2:39 AM
  • I just don't understand how the policy can change without notice mid-subscription. I just purchased my subscription last month based on the information that I was to received up to 10 keys (depending on the product) and now Microsoft just changes this..........I have just started to do my testing and now worried that I will come up short for the remaining of my subscription period (11 months).

I can understand changing the policy at renewal time but not within my subscription year!

Regards,

Brad Lawley (brand new technet subscriber)

Wednesday, September 22, 2010 3:49 AM
  • I just don't understand how the policy can change without notice mid-subscription. I just purchased my subscription last month based on the information that I was to received up to 10 keys (depending on the product) and now Microsoft just changes this..........I have just started to do my testing and now worried that I will come up short for the remaining of my subscription period (11 months).

I can understand changing the policy at renewal time but not within my subscription year!

Regards,

Brad Lawley (brand new technet subscriber)

But, if you do allot of testing. Why not run unactivated for the grace period, and with -rearm, you can run Windows and Office 2010 for 120 days without activating. That's 4 months. And you still gets 20 activations (Standard) and 50 activations (Pro) for every desktop products, and on the server side you still gets 500 activations. So why will you run out of activations the next 11 months? Are you only testing desktop products, and can you not use the -rearm function?

Kenneth Myhre
    Wednesday, September 22, 2010 7:37 AM
  • mange takk !

There is no official list of how many keys you get per product. But except the list under, you get 10 keys per product. And ONE MAK key per Windows Server 2008 and R2 product. And a MAK key for Vista Enterprise on Technet Pro (100 activations). Here is a almost complete list of all the software you get on Technet (add Office 2010)

And here is my list with the number of keys per product that has changed the last week:

Office 2010 Standard - 2 or 5 keys.
    Office 2010 Proplus - 2 or 5 keys.
    Windows 7 Starter - 2 or 5 keys.
    Windows 7 Starter N and KN - 2 or 5 keys.
    Windows 7 Home Basic - 2 or 5 keys.
    Windows 7 Home Premium - 2 or 5 keys.
    Windows 7 Home Premium N and KN - 2 or 5 keys.
    Windows 7 Professional - 2 or 5 keys.
    Windows 7 Professional N and KN - 2 or 5 keys.
    Windows 7 Ultimate - 2 or 5 keys.
    Windows 7 Ultimate N and KN - 2 or 5 keys.
    Windows 7 Enterprise - 500 activations only on Technet Pro (One MAK key = 500 activations) This MAK key also work on Win 7 Professional.
    Office 2007 Standard - 2 or 5 keys.
    Office 2007 Enterprise - 2 or 5 keys.
    Office 2007 Ultimate - 2 or 5 keys.
    Office 2007 Professional - 2 or 5 keys.
    Office 2007 Professional Plus - 2 or 5 keys.
    Access 2007 - 2 or 5 keys.
    Access 2010 - 2 or 5 keys.
    Windows XP Home Edition - 2 or 5 keys.
    Windows XP Home Edition K - 2 or 5 keys.
    Windows XP Home Edition KN - 2 or 5 keys.
    Windows XP Tablet PC Edition - 10 keys.
    Windows XP Professional - 2 or 5 keys.
    Windows XP Professional Edition K - 2 or 5 keys.
    Windows XP Professional Edition KN - 2 or 5 keys.
    Windows XP Professional x64 Edition - 2 or 5 keys.
    Windows XP Media Center Edition - 2 or 5 keys.

You understand that 2 keys = Technet Standard and 5 keys = Technet pro? So we are clear on that.

2 keys = 20 activations
    5 keys = 50 activations

All other software gives you 10 keys. Or ONE MAK key with 500 activations (Server 2008 and R2) and 100 activations for Vista Enterprise (only on Technet Pro)

Edit: 28.09.10: New policy in place from yesterday, you now only get 5 or 2 keys for EVERY product on Technet. The numbers of activations for the MAK keys has not changed, but everything else has.

Kenneth Myhre
    Wednesday, September 22, 2010 11:53 AM
  • Does anyone else find it odd you can still get 10 keys for Vista, but not XP? or 7...

I, along with the others here, believe that if you had 10 keys a month ago you should still have those access to those 10 keys now, seeing as it obvious that those who had 10 keys and may not of requested them are not exploiting the system?

Also some notification, even post change would of been nice, with some justification, an email with something along the lines of

[----]
    Dear Technet User

Due to abuse technet keys, we have changed the request limit from 10 to 2(for Standard) and 5(for Professional) subscription

You can still do XYZ actions etc etc

We apologise for any incovience this might cause

Microsoft

[----]

Would of been most appriciated

Thursday, September 23, 2010 1:52 AM
  • It's not so strange that MS have not reduced the number of keys on Vista. Vista is not the main target for pirates. They want Win7, XP, Office 2007 and Office 2010.

The same with Windows Server software, it's not a big issue with misuse of server licenses. Maybe some few people using a server license on their local server, but companies do not buy their licenses on Ebay (I hope).

The problem with Win7 and Office is that someone has made a very good copy of the Win7 and Office DVD and it's looks 100% like the original. But they keys comes from Technet / MSDN. It's normal users thats get ripped off with this scam, so MS have taken action to stop this, and one of the actions is to reduce the number of keys on the relative cheap Technet subscriptions.

Still, I do not like that MS reduced the keys for existing customers. Still think MS should reduce the number of keys on new subscriptions, and keep the old numbers on active accounts. But that sure a technical thing.

Kenneth Myhre
    Thursday, September 23, 2010 7:55 AM
  • I know that I will be calling in the next couple days to ask for some refund. I do not usually use all my keys and I understand that we have many activations on our now lower # of keys, but still see this as an unfair change to a purchase I made. I hope some others who are feeling the same will also call.
    Thursday, September 23, 2010 3:05 PM
  • I plan on calling.  I didn't generate all of my keys when I got my subscription a few weeks ago, which (obviously) turned out to be a bad decision on my part...
    Thursday, September 23, 2010 5:17 PM
  • The problem with Win7 and Office is that someone has made a very good copy of the Win7 and Office DVD and it's looks 100% like the original. But they keys comes from Technet / MSDN. It's normal users thats get ripped off with this scam, so MS have taken action to stop this, and one of the actions is to reduce the number of keys on the relative cheap Technet subscriptions.

Why is this a problem? Microsoft knows the "stolen" keys - Microsoft knows to which subscriber they belong. So why are they punshing all subscribers instead of the few people who are selling their keys?
    Thursday, September 23, 2010 8:26 PM
  • Why is this a problem? Microsoft knows the "stolen" keys - Microsoft knows to which subscriber they belong. So why are they punshing all subscribers instead of the few people who are selling their keys?

Because it can take weeks and months before a Technet key gets to a customer, and tries to activate the key. And if they have sold 100 copies of the same key, the account get blocked when 100 people try to activate the same key. And that can take some time. First then, can they close down an account.

But, I'm supporting you about MS punishing all the current subscribers. The best solution had been to make the change in keys for new customers, and let all of us with active accounts keep our keys. Still, I repeat my self now, but Technet gives you good value still, you gets all MS software, in all languages, with minimum 20 activations per products. Many products has 500 activations. So, 10, 5 or 2 keys = good value for the subscription fee.

Kenneth Myhre
    Thursday, September 23, 2010 8:34 PM
  • I agree with the value part.  I just started my subscription, and before I did I asked around to see how many keys we get, and ten was the amount told, well as soon as I went to my downloads I was shocked to see only two, but then I thought about it, and really I don't mind.  I already wanted to test Office 2010 on a fresh Windows 7 install on a new computer I built to see how it works with my other programs I use, so using one activation each I just saved about $600.  I paid $200 for my standard account, and if I wanted to buy each product retail, and do some testing I would pay around $800.  Now I can test all I want with much more than just those two programs, and if some programs are not compatible that's fine as I still saved so much money.  I love mixing and matching different programs, and now I have all that I need to test to my hearts content.
    Thursday, September 23, 2010 8:52 PM
  • Thank you for getting us an answer. At least we now know it's a policy change and not an error.

I agree that it would have been nice to have been given some advance notice on this; I suppose the reason that wasn't done was to prevent a "run" on people generating keys.

Since the number of keys on the Standard Subscription have been dropped to 2, can we upgrade our subscriptions to the Pro level or is it simply better to let this subscription expire and then purchase a Pro level subscription? I know if I purchase a new Pro license I'll get to "start over" and generate 5 keys but it would be nice to not have to pay the full, initial price for a Pro subscription since we paid for the standard subscription under the impression we'd get 10 keys.

Thanks for your question mbeaver.  I believe the answer to this upgrade question is yes, however I'm still waiting for a completely confirmation on it.    

Thanks,
    Mike

Thursday, September 23, 2010 9:07 PM
    Owner
  • Will this change affect Action Pack subscriptions as well or is it only TechNet?

It impacts Action Pack Subscriptions as well.

Thanks,
    Mike

Thursday, September 23, 2010 9:08 PM
    Owner
  • Mike why don't you provide an interface where customers can manage their activations? Is this so hard? When I don't need a installation anymore I can disable the activation an everything is fine. Adobe does this the same way.

On the other hand customers pay for something and microsoft changes the product without any notifications to their customers. that's not a fine way.

Best Regards,

Thomas

I'm not sure how difficult this would be Thomas, however I really appreciate that feedback and suggestion.  I think that kind of interface would really be beneficial to subscribers.  

Thanks for your feedback.

Mike

Thursday, September 23, 2010 9:10 PM
    Owner
  • e

Dear mike,

I could understand it is due to piracy issue, but it also affect who use it properly.

I know that MS does not write number of license we could get in the terms too, but most subscriber know they could get 10 keys before purchase and that's why they purchase. MS just change it arbitrarily, so MS could change it 1 key 1 activation later or remove all other product and just give you a DOS for evaluation?

What I want to say is the change should apply to new subscription only but not existing subscription, or MS should give us some choices like refund.  For existing subscription. if the change are due to piracy issue, it didn't work. Piracy must obtain all 10 keys once subscribed to technet, so this change only affect people use it properly.

Please remove the change from existing subscriber or REFUND, thanks.

Edit:

Besides, increase number of activation also a choice?

Thanks for your honest feedback Dxdt.  I do understand where you are coming from, and the TechNet team does as well.

Thanks,
    Mike

Thursday, September 23, 2010 9:13 PM
    Owner
  • Thanks for your feedback Brad.

Mike

Thursday, September 23, 2010 9:13 PM
    Owner
  • Does anyone else find it odd you can still get 10 keys for Vista, but not XP? or 7...

I, along with the others here, believe that if you had 10 keys a month ago you should still have those access to those 10 keys now, seeing as it obvious that those who had 10 keys and may not of requested them are not exploiting the system?

Also some notification, even post change would of been nice, with some justification, an email with something along the lines of

[----]
    Dear Technet User

Due to abuse technet keys, we have changed the request limit from 10 to 2(for Standard) and 5(for Professional) subscription

You can still do XYZ actions etc etc

We apologise for any incovience this might cause

Microsoft

[----]

Would of been most appriciated

Thanks for your feedback Nerdo, I definitely understand where you're coming from on this.   I've referred many people I work with and work for to this thread, and they are reading it and will take these suggestions under advisement.

Thanks,
    Mike

Thursday, September 23, 2010 9:15 PM
    Owner
  • Mike why don't you provide an interface where customers can manage their activations? Is this so hard? When I don't need a installation anymore I can disable the activation an everything is fine. Adobe does this the same way.

Best Regards,

Thomas

I'm not sure how difficult this would be Thomas, however I really appreciate that feedback and suggestion.  I think that kind of interface would really be beneficial to subscribers.  

Thanks for your feedback.

Mike

I would like to see that also.  I have another question that may be on the same line.  Since one key can be activated ten times is there a way to check on how many activations a key has left or used?  I mean I know I can, do, and should, keep track of what machines I use the keys on, but is there a place online where I can compare it to?  With literally hundreds of activations there are bound to be some misses somewhere.  Say I used a Windows 7 Pro key nine times, but I have my log as only six, so can I compare it somewhere against what MS has it as activated so many times?  I would hate to think I can activate it four more times online, and on the second one I get rejected.
    Thursday, September 23, 2010 9:51 PM
  • I would like to see that also.  I have another question that may be on the same line.  Since one key can be activated ten times is there a way to check on how many activations a key has left or used?  I mean I know I can, do, and should, keep track of what machines I use the keys on, but is there a place online where I can compare it to?  With literally hundreds of activations there are bound to be some misses somewhere.  Say I used a Windows 7 Pro key nine times, but I have my log as only six, so can I compare it somewhere against what MS has it as activated so many times?  I would hate to think I can activate it four more times online, and on the second one I get rejected.
    On MAK keys you can use VAMT 2.0, but that does not work on the retails key. So it's no tools that can check how many times your retail keys has been activated. So do what I have done, create a list with all your keys. And behind each key I write down when I activate a license. Then I have full control, it's some work to create the list etc (but you can use the .xml list in Excel), but then you have control. Maybe MS support can give you a reply on how many activations that is used, but I don't know. So a manual list is the best option I can think of.

Kenneth Myhre
    Friday, September 24, 2010 12:27 AM
  • Ok,  I guess I did not understand that a key can be activated several times (10), this should be ok.

Guess the point that frustrated me is the plain fact the policy was changed with no notice during my active subscription year . I could understand policy changes at renewal time but not mid-stream.

It just seems that I am not getting what I had paid for !

Does this mean now that I am entitled to a refund or discount because 80% of what I paid for is now gone !

Regards,

Brad

Friday, September 24, 2010 2:16 AM
  • Ok,  I guess I did not understand that a key can be activated several times (10), this should be ok.

Guess the point that frustrated me is the plain fact the policy was changed with no notice during my active subscription year . I could understand policy changes at renewal time but not mid-stream.

It just seems that I am not getting what I had paid for !

Does this mean now that I am entitled to a refund or discount because 80% of what I paid for is now gone !

Regards,

Brad

No, I don't think so, since you never got any information about how many keys you whould get to each product. The number has never been written in any place on Technet, FAQ, support, info pages etc. The only places the number has been out is on forums like this, and other forums.

And it's only the desktop products that had gotten their keys reduced. And as an IT Pro, your main goal is not testing desktop products? I think the problems with the reductions is that many people have used Technet to personal computers, and as a cheap way to get Windows and Office licenses on. Thats the people complaining here. They who uses it in business situations, doing testing as the EULA describe, will not run out of activations with the first.

But I know what many people not agree with me here, but I'm betting a lot of money on that their is not using their Technet subscriptions in according to this terms, and ONLY that:

http://technet.microsoft.com/nb-no/subscriptions/ms772427%28en-us%29.aspx

Software test scenarios allowed with TechNet Subscriptions
    TechNet Subscription software may be tested to determine the following:
    Install/Uninstall – Time and process required for full, partial or upgrade software install/uninstall processes and system integration.
    Recovery – Capacity for software to recover from crashes, hardware failures, or other catastrophic problems.
    Security – Defining software’s ability to protect against unauthorized internal or external access.
    Compatibility – Gauging software performance in existing or new hardware, software, operating system or network environments.
    Comparison – Evaluating software to determine product strengths and weaknesses as compared to previous versions or similar products.
    Usability – Assessing satisfaction among end users, observing end user utilization and understanding user interaction scenarios.
    Performance – Ensuring software will perform as expected to requirements.
    Stability – Estimating individual software’s ability to perform consistently, relative to system demands.
    Environment – Determining software settings while software is being evaluated by end users in existing infrastructure.    

Kenneth Myhre
    Friday, September 24, 2010 5:21 AM
  • in my case, because of a problem I had with my overzelous fraud protection system in Bank of America

I was not able to purchase online, so i bought the subscription over the phone. Of course, I took advantage of having a technet

rep on the phone and asked him a bunch of questions about how technet was supposed to be used legally.
    He told me that I would get 10 keys for each and that each key would allow me to do 10 activations.

He also told me that the recommended way to use the system was request one key, use up the 10 activations

and then request another one. So in my case, a MSFT rep DID tell me that i was purchasing 10 keys of each

product (even though it was not written i believe the word of one of their salesmen should count as something).

Second, i got "punished" for following his suggestion. if i would have "harvested" all keys on day one as is

recommended in these forums, I would have gotten what i paid for. Since I didnt not only were the terms

changed on me, but now I am in a bind with a customer. 

I have to write and test deployment scripts and test them  on several dozen types of computers in several

sites. Since I had access to these keys, i quoted my work including being responsible for all the 

keys needed for testing. Now that this has changed I will have to buy at least 1 (maybe 2) new technet

subscriptions which I had not included in the quote.

I think 2 keys is still very useful and a good deal for evaluation and testing in IT,and I will renew my 

subscription when the time comes up, but I also think MSFT managed this thing the wrong way.

In my case it will affect me economically, if they had given me a warning it would have been better.

I have contacted technet by email explaining the situation, hopefully they can find a way to help.

-guillermo

Friday, September 24, 2010 3:20 PM
  • The MS rep. you talked with on the phone, did not know better, and Technet has "always" used to have 10 keys per product. I always do some research when I want something. And I also did not find any good information about what's the best way to use your licenses on Technet / MSDN.

I did start this thread: http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/msdnfeedback/thread/3d0aaff5-bde9-4984-8ead-a80d91742d15 and got a very good reply from Mike Kinsman. But as you can see if you read the whole thread, Microsoft is a large company. So when Technet and MSDN think it's OK that people use the .xml function, generate all keys, and save the file, the BizSpark team, DO NOT think this is a good idea.

The same with how to use the keys. Mike tells me that it's up to me (the user) to use one key 10 times before generating a new key, or use all the keys one time, so start over again. If you think about how many people that's works for Microsoft, and they do not have a guide to follow, you will get different replies from person to person. I think you need a person like Mike to give you a straight reply, and I bet he also don't have all the info from all the teams in Microsoft.

As you say, 2 (or 5) keys for desktop products is still allot, so I can not think anybody will get back any money, Technet have a 30 day money back option, but that is only if you not have activated your account. Still, they can make exceptions. I got refund for a Technet Standard account because they told me that I whould get Server 2008 R2 Web and Datacenter on Technet Standard, and that's not the case. I had activate my account when I discovered the problem. So they refunded me 100%.

And when I did an error, renewing my account one year to early (my Technet Pro account) I also got a refund...so Microsoft is not so bad.

But, when it comes to communications in settings like this, they don't do a good job. Still no info about the reduction of keys, one week and 2 days after they changed the terms. And I still think all existing account should had kept their numbers of keys...

Kenneth Myhre
    Friday, September 24, 2010 3:37 PM
  • To offer a product or service with a unit of 10 and then, after the money has been exchanged, reduce the number of units is illegal. It is called 'bate-and-switch'. MS needs to either refund 80% of the subscription price or honor the quoted units at the time of the sale for the duration of the subscription. New and renewed subscriptions can be for a reduced number of units.

Now, it's just a matter of time until MS is sued as part of a class action lawsuit.

MikeMc

Friday, September 24, 2010 4:58 PM
  • To offer a product or service with a unit of 10 and then, after the money has been exchanged, reduce the number of units is illegal. It is called 'bate-and-switch'. MS needs to either refund 80% of the subscription price or honor the quoted units at the time of the sale for the duration of the subscription. New and renewed subscriptions can be for a reduced number of units.

Now, it's just a matter of time until MS is sued as part of a class action lawsuit.

MikeMc

Show me one piece of paper, or one official link to any Microsoft Technet page that tells you how many keys you get with each product. Can not think any lawyer will take a case there it's not a proof around how many keys you get. And why do people need 100 activations for each desktop version of Win7, Office 2007, Office 2010 and Windows XP? You still have access to all the software Microsoft has told you that you get with Technet, and you can still use it as stated in the FAQ: http://technet.microsoft.com/subscriptions/ms772427.aspx so I don't see the point of sue MS for money for this issue.

OK, poor customer policy, poor communications, and no info. But still, you can no sue them for that. Maybe Microsoft wants to have proof about how you have used your keys, and that you don't breach the EULA terms. Not using any keys on computers you use for gaming, internet browsing, e-mail reading, music, movies etc.

Kenneth Myhre
    Friday, September 24, 2010 5:50 PM
  • OK, poor customer policy, poor communications, and no info. But still, you can no sue them for that. Maybe Microsoft wants to have proof about how you have used your keys, and that you don't breach the EULA terms. Not using any keys on computers you use for gaming, internet browsing, e-mail reading, music, movies etc.
    Kenneth Myhre

Classy! To insinuate that those of us complaining are nothing more than pirates using the keys for our "gaming machines" is further proof of the poor customer policy and poor communications you have just admitted to.

I would bet that the majority, if not all of those in this discussion are using the program legally as intended which can be proven by the fact that few of us have come close to the previous 10 key allotment.  If we truly wanted to pirate Microsoft software there are much easier methods than having cordial discourse with you and your company in these forums.

As far as number of keys not being specifically stated on the website, you might very well be correct.  However you fail to understand that the customer support reps were selling this product on the merits of the number of keys and activations one would receive.  Also, previously had someone gone over their keys one could contact TechNET support and with a plausible reason of necessity Microsoft would make an exception from time to time.  However that system has now been completely thrown out the window with no communication prior to or during the aforementioned changes.

Finally I recently resubscribed to TechNET and at the advice of a CS rep downgraded to Standard because I didn't need the technical support calls.  Now I realize that had I stayed on professional I'd have plenty of keys (5) as opposed to the (2) I have now which have been used up.

I fully understand the piracy problem Microsoft and many other software vendors are facing.  But to imply that your paying customers are the pirates is a slap in the face.

Friday, September 24, 2010 11:13 PM
  • I still think that most of they who complains here is using their keys for other thing that stated in the EULA. Microsoft has only reduced the number of keys on the desktop software, and why do so many test so much on desktop software, and not server software?

It's not a secret that Technet has been a cheap way to get several keys for Windows 7, Office, XP etc, and direct download from MS. And it still is a good deal, with the reduction.

If you use Virtual computers on a server to run test on, or use the same computer each time you rebuild the system, you can use this method to do a "offline" activations, not using up any activations on your key. You will use one activation the first time, and after that you can use this method to activate 1000 times if you like. But it only works on the same computer, or same VM. And you can not change the bit version of Windows, but you can install whatever you want of software etc. And if you follow the EULA, I do not think you have more then 20 computers you use for testing. Or more then 20 virtual computers.

Developing and Testing Using Non–Volume Licensing Editions

In development and testing environments that use retail editions, take advantage of the grace period. For more information about leveraging the grace period, see the section, “Developing and Testing Using Volume Licensing Editions.”

Windows 7 and Windows Server 2008 R2 products acquired through a retail store are individually licensed and are activated in the same way as retail versions of the Windows Vista® and Windows Server 2008 operating systems. Each purchased copy comes with one unique product key, found on the product packaging, which is typed in during the installation of the product. The computer uses this product key to complete the activation after the installation of the operating system is complete. Retail software can be activated either online or by telephone.

In development and testing environments that require activation of retail editions of Windows 7 or Windows Server 2008, perform online activation or telephone activation. The following list describes how to perform telephone activation:

1. Run slmgr.vbs /dti to display the information necessary to complete telephone activation.
    2. Run slui.exe 4 to obtain the telephone number for an Activation Call Center in your region.
    3. Use the Interactive Voice Response (IVR) system to obtain the CID; then, run slmgr.vbs /atp CID to install the CID. You can store and reuse the CID to reactivate the operating system after rebuilding the computer.

Kenneth Myhre
    Friday, September 24, 2010 11:46 PM
  • I don't care what lame excuses Microsoft came up with, what they have done to their technet customers is borderline criminal or criminal, and I will never forget it, nor will I forgive it. I too, sent out emails and even phoned and talked to technet people on the phone BEFORE I purchased my subscription in March, and was repeatedly  told that Windows 7 versions and Office versions had 10 keys available . As far as I am concerned, that is what I paid for. The fact that Microsoft secretly stole half of my keys without warning shocked me and I will never trust them again. Microsoft over the years has demonstrated that the little guys mean nothing to them. Their filthy rich CEO's and execs and their crooked lawyers knew very well that by reducing our keys that legally we would be helpless to do much about it. Personally if a class action suit ever does get off the ground, I will be right their supporting it. Microsoft needs to pay for this crime one way or another.

They really should do the right thing and make a public apology and offer its current subscribers either a partial refund, or a substantial discount on future renewals, or return the keys to current subscribers. I would not have had a problem if they would have had the humane decency to notify us of such an act BEFORE our subscription came up for renewal. I am now screwed because I have no more available keys or activations to use. I discovered this early yesterday afternoon while attempting to retrieve  a key.

It further angers me because they falsely claim that piracy is the reason. Why would pirates even need to buy technet keys? There are several Windows 7 activators floating around, which will activate their pirated copies. Even so, I find it amusingly difficult to understand why they just simply don't go after, prosecute and close down all accounts that have been affiliated with pirated keys, and leave its legit users alone. Why do I have to suffer because Microsoft is too lazy to go after and tackle the real problem?

Bottom line: I lost all trust/support for Microsoft for this crime, and I hope and pray that this comes back to bite them. I will support and be active in any petition/lawsuit or anything whatsoever that shows Microsoft that what they did was morally wrong (legally may be a different story).

Microsoft, shame on you.

Saturday, September 25, 2010 7:58 AM
  • I only found out about the reduced keys from The Register. Once I saw what happened I decided to grab every key i could before Microsoft decided to change the terms of service again and take even more keys away from us.

I paid for the subscription after extensive research and found on the TechNet website the 10 Key promise, I only pulled keys as I needed them, did not pass them around, in general played by the rules. Microsoft, I want what I paid for, not half of what I paid for, unless you want to give me a 50% refund I will continue to be an upset customer.

Chronos56

Saturday, September 25, 2010 1:06 PM
  • I only found out about the reduced keys from The Register. Once I saw what happened I decided to grab every key i could before Microsoft decided to change the terms of service again and take even more keys away from us.

I paid for the subscription after extensive research and found on the TechNet website the 10 Key promise, I only pulled keys as I needed them, did not pass them around, in general played by the rules. Microsoft, I want what I paid for, not half of what I paid for, unless you want to give me a 50% refund I will continue to be an upset customer.

Chronos56

Where did you find the 10 key promise from Microsoft??? I have never seen any information from Microsoft about how many keys you get. Not on their frontpage, FAQ, comparison page, comparison sheet, or any other page on Technet or Microsoft. So you can not have seen that information on a official site. Maybe you did see it on a forum (etc this one) but still, no key numbers on any official Microsoft pages. And you have paid for: 

What is Microsoft® TechNet Subscriptions?
    TechNet Subscriptions is a subscription program designed to help IT Professionals prepare for critical issues and plan for future deployments by providing them with fast and convenient access to the latest software for evaluation without time or feature limits<sup>1</sup> ; beta releases; Professional Support Calls; and other technical information and tools to get their jobs done faster. Read the TechNet Overview for a list of the features included with a TechNet Subscription.

So if you read the FAQ: http://technet.microsoft.com/nb-no/subscriptions/ms772427%28en-us%29.aspx can you honest tell me that you don't get what you paid for thats you can read on the FAQ? And remember this FAQ has not been changed yet, so it's the same as "always".

Kenneth Myhre
    Saturday, September 25, 2010 2:45 PM

Chronos56

Where did you find the 10 key promise from Microsoft??? I have never seen any information from Microsoft about how many keys you get. Not on their frontpage, FAQ, comparison page, comparison sheet, or any other page on Technet or Microsoft. So you can not have seen that information on a official site. Maybe you did see it on a forum (etc this one) but still, no key numbers on any official Microsoft pages. And you have paid for: 

What is Microsoft® TechNet Subscriptions?
    TechNet Subscriptions is a subscription program designed to help IT Professionals prepare for critical issues and plan for future deployments by providing them with fast and convenient access to the latest software for evaluation without time or feature limits<sup>1</sup> ; beta releases; Professional Support Calls; and other technical information and tools to get their jobs done faster. Read the TechNet Overview for a list of the features included with a TechNet Subscription.

So if you read the FAQ: http://technet.microsoft.com/nb-no/subscriptions/ms772427%28en-us%29.aspx can you honest tell me that you don't get what you paid for thats you can read on the FAQ? And remember this FAQ has not been changed yet, so it's the same as "always".

Kenneth Myhre

Not to add fuel to the fire, but shouldn't it work both ways?  I mean since there actually is no documentation on how many keys you get, or how many times you can activate them, you should be able to activate one key 1,000 times if you wanted.  No?  I have never read in any offical MS docuemnt that you can only activate one key ten times.
    Saturday, September 25, 2010 3:48 PM
  • I'm still trying to figure out why not only were our keys reduced by as much as 80% for those of us with technet standard, but keys were reduced for products such as windows XP, which if piracy is the big reason, makes no sense, since you cannot buy a copy of windows xp directly from microsoft at all now! I should know, I went to their store, and looked for it! Yet we still have 10 keys for any windows vista installations we may wish to do? Many users including myself were under the impression that 1 key equaled 1 activation, and therefore would pull a key from our 10 allowed whenever we needed to install to a new machine or re-install to the same test environment. If they had made it clear from the get go that we could use 1 key for more than 1 activation, then perhaps the sudden change in available keys wouldn't have made so many of us such as myself angry at what has been done. I realize now what can be done, but nowhere is the fact a retail key can be activated more than once stated in the official info on technet. Who makes these decissions and why? Just telling us why they did what they did would go along way toward some of us perhaps keeping our subscriptions!

Saturday, September 25, 2010 5:41 PM
  • You point the finger on the main reson why XP got reduced their keys also...you can not get it legal anymore. So if you want a new copy of XP CD, in any language, and a valid key, Technet and MSDN(AA) is the only way to get XP now. And XP have still a marked share of 60% or something, so of course there is a marked for XP versions from Technet/MSDN(AA).

Who wants Vista? If Microsoft is lucky maybe someone actually download and use the Vista keys...not likely, but maybe. So why reduce the number of keys on a products nobody wants? They could have risen the number to 1000 keys per Vista version, and I don't think more people had downloaded Vista, and Vista do not sell well in on the pirate marked.

But still. You get 20 activations for every Win7 version, Office 2007/2010 etc. And with Windows 7, you can use the N version also, and download Media Player from here:

Media Feature Pack for Windows 7 N and Windows 7 KN (KB968211)

so then you have 20 more activation for Windows 7 Starter, Windows 7 Home Premium, Win 7 Pro and Win 7 Ultimate.

Kenneth Myhre
    Saturday, September 25, 2010 6:12 PM
  • I am getting tired of some of these people playing it off by saying things like "Where did it say 10 keys"

I told you that that is the work of Microsoft's crooked rich lawyers, they always word the agreement to where the end user has

nothing, and Microsoft practically owns you. 

People for a long time have known that there were always 10 keys available, and some of us were even told by Microsofts own people

before we purchased these that we got 10 keys, but that is NOT the point! What Microsoft did, by underhandedly sneaking in and removing

half of my Keys without giving me a 50% refund or a 50% discount on possible future renewals, or even a second account, was criminal,

dirty, and morally wrong. Those of us that paid good money, should have been grandfathered until renewal!

Microsoft acted recklessly and selfishly, and they need to be held accountable!

Saturday, September 25, 2010 6:17 PM
  • MS has now updated one of their Technet FAQ ( Product Keys FAQ ) with this info:

A. Unfortunately, Microsoft was not able to communicate this policy change in advance because it would increase the programs exposure to piracy if it became widely known that key availability would become limited. Having said this, as soon as the change was made we updated the TechNet Subscription user portal messaging, FAQ, and notified the Call Centers to ensure customer issues and concerns would be addressed appropriately. We regret this may have caused any inconvenience or confusion to legitimate subscribers.

Q. What is the anti-piracy policy change?

A. Microsoft is committed to helping prevent software piracy, which often results in end users being the victims of software counterfeiters. Counterfeiters abuse product keys to create fake software packages and distribute these to the public. These packages are not licensed, do not have support, and can also include malware and spyware. Therefore, Microsoft has decided to limit the number of product keys available through TechNet Subscriptions, for all products, to five for TechNet Professional and two for TechNet Standard. TechNet Subscriptions is intended to support software trial and evaluation, versus a production environment.  We offer other programs for volume purchasing and installation.   We believe this change maintains a sufficient number of product keys for the majority of our customers based on usage data, while greatly reducing the overall risk of piracy and counterfeiting.  We apologize for any inconvenience or confusion that this action may have caused our subscribers.

Q. How many keys do I get with the products I download or receive on disk as part of my TechNet Subscription?

A. If you purchased a TechNet subscription through a Volume License agreement you get Volume Licensing keys for the products that need them. For purchase directly from Microsoft or through a reseller the following applies:

• TechNet Professional (RETAIL): Current policy is that subscribers may access a maximum allocation of five keys from the download portal for use during the Subscription year to be used during the software evaluation process.
    • TechNet Standard (RETAIL):Current policy is that subscribers may access a maximum allocation of two keys from the download portal for use during the Subscription year to be used during the software evaluation process.

Q. I used to be able to receive additional keys with my TechNet Subscription, how come I no longer can?

A. Microsoft regularly reviews its product offerings relative to customer usage and other market conditions.  As a result we have decided to make this change to the TechNet Subscriptions program.  We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause.

Q. I don't have enough keys and/or activations to evaluate the software on all of my machines.  What do I do?

A. In additional to purchasing another TechNet Subscription, there are trial versions of Microsoft software available from the TechNet Software Evaluation Center located at http://technet.microsoft.com/evalcenter/default.aspx

Kenneth Myhre
    Saturday, September 25, 2010 10:50 PM
  • Microsoft has decided to limit the number of product keys available through TechNet Subscriptions, for all products, to five for TechNet Professional and two for TechNet Standard.

the text now says 2 / 5 keys for ALL products !?

Sunday, September 26, 2010 12:36 AM
  • The change is only for Desktop products, at least for now. The only programs thats has got their keys count cut is:
    Access 2007/2010
    Office 2007
    Office 2010
    Windows 7
    Windows XP
    Kenneth Myhre
    Sunday, September 26, 2010 1:01 AM
  • yes, i know that was explained above.

but read the F.A.Q. now: "all products" !?

Sunday, September 26, 2010 2:11 AM
  • [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Yeah right, they really must think I am stupid, to want to give them more of my money for something that I already paid for.
    Go ahead Microsoft, dig the knife in deeper, pour salt into the wound, but I promise you, I will remember this.

Your apology is a farce and a mockery and is totally worthless, you need to do the right thing and make it right with those of us that had our subscriptions before hand.

[QUOTE]

A. Unfortunately, Microsoft was not able to communicate this policy change in advance because it would increase the programs exposure to piracy if it became widely known that key availability would become limited.

[/QUOTE]

This is another outright bold faced lie by Microsoft, because they could have simply temporarily suspended new subscriptions while they properly notified their subscribers, or even limited new subscriptions to 5 keys while the rest of us were given proper notice.

• Edited by allanm1 Sunday, September 26, 2010 7:26 AM Edited for clarity
    Sunday, September 26, 2010 6:33 AM
  • Sunday, September 26, 2010 7:30 AM
  • It is funny that someone tell us 2/5 would be enough, but he got all 10 keys for most desktop products lol.
    Sunday, September 26, 2010 8:04 AM
  • It is funny that someone tell us 2/5 would be enough, but he got all 10 keys for most desktop products lol.

Thats because I generated all the keys and used the .xml functions 5 months ago. And I have still not used 20 activations on any products downloaded from Technet, 5 months after I got the account. And I test much.

I wonder if all the people that complains is only using their Technet keys to this:

What are the testing scenarios I can use TechNet Subscriptions software?
    Please be aware that subscribing to TechNet does not grant user rights to test as part of a software application development effort.  The following testing scenarios can be used during the software evaluation process.

Software test scenarios allowed with TechNet Subscriptions
    TechNet Subscription software may be tested to determine the following:
    Install/Uninstall – Time and process required for full, partial or upgrade software install/uninstall processes and system integration.
    Recovery – Capacity for software to recover from crashes, hardware failures, or other catastrophic problems.
    Security – Defining software’s ability to protect against unauthorized internal or external access.
    Compatibility – Gauging software performance in existing or new hardware, software, operating system or network environments.
    Comparison – Evaluating software to determine product strengths and weaknesses as compared to previous versions or similar products.
    Usability – Assessing satisfaction among end users, observing end user utilization and understanding user interaction scenarios.
    Performance – Ensuring software will perform as expected to requirements.
    Stability – Estimating individual software’s ability to perform consistently, relative to system demands.
    Environment – Determining software settings while software is being evaluated by end users in existing infrastructure.    

And if they meet the requirements of the terms here:

What is the definition of an “IT Pro?”
    IT Professionals plan, install or configure, deploy, integrate, manage and support the technology infrastructure for their organization and its end users and may be either employees of the organization or employees of a vendor hired to perform the relevant IT services for it. Positions held and/or functions performed by IT Pros include:  Help Desk Technicians, Desktop Technicians, Desktop Administrators, Server Administrator, Database Administrator, IT Manager, and Infrastructure Specialist.

Kenneth Myhre
    Sunday, September 26, 2010 8:35 AM
  • I think everyone's made their point here so far in the thread.  The number of keys per subscription is now spelled out in our FAQ and, as has been mentioned above, the policy now affects all products.  

Its been made clear that the number of keys per subscription wasn't listed in the Subscriptions EULA, which is true.  The difficulty that some customers have experienced with this change is real, however, and we always encourage open and honest feedback and discussions directly through our support teams and openly here on the forums.   

This comes after much discussion and concern and frustration from many people I work with and work for on the team over the past few months.  As it states in the FAQ, the goal here is to allow us to continue supporting our IT Pro audience with the TechNet Subscription as a software evaluation program while mitigating illegitimate counterfeiting and piracy activities.  We continue to regret any inconvenience or confusion this may have caused to our legitimate subscribers.

Thanks,
    Mike

Monday, September 27, 2010 3:55 PM
    Owner
  • I think everyone's made their point here so far in the thread.  The number of keys per subscription is now spelled out in our FAQ and, as has been mentioned above, the policy now affects all  products.  

Thanks,
    Mike

i posted this on Sunday, September 26, 2010 12:36 AM:
    "Users Medals Microsoft has decided to limit the number of product keys available through TechNet Subscriptions, for all products, to five for TechNet Professional and two for TechNet Standard."

the text now says 2 / 5 keys for ALL products !?

so i WAS right....

call me HAWKEYE....

Monday, September 27, 2010 5:27 PM
  • I understand the need to keep piracy in check, but this change could have been handled better.
    Monday, September 27, 2010 8:29 PM
  • I'm replying in this forum thread not because of the reduction of the keys in the subscription but the methods use to do it and some people's response in this forum.

Micrososft's reduction of the maximum number of keys I can claim for piracy makes me wonder if I can trust them in the future and raises questions about any future business dealings with them.  After all why would I do business with someone who call me a pirate.  Sure Microsoft you didn't come out in public and say I was pirate.  But you implied it by reducing the maximum number of keys I could claim in terms of cutting down piracy.  But if I'm not a pirate then why reduce my keys?

If this doesn't work on cutting down on piracy, which I believe it will not, what will Microsoft do next?  Cut down the number of activations per key or revoke claimed ones.  If your recent actions reflect your future ones then you will not tell anyone until someone no tices they cannot activate or the computer no longer passes validation.  If you cannot trust me then why should I trust Microsoft in the future.

Then there is the fact that Microsoft and some people on this forum thread who think two keys with ten activations per key is enough.  I really do not think this is enough considering that those two keys and ten activations have to last the life of the software.  If I understand renewals properly, then I do not get anymore keys as part of the renewal.  As someone who develops and tests prototype computers for a living,  I can see those 20 activations as not enough. 

Some peope say do not activate the computer.  But that assumes that you can get installing software and testing done in the grace period that activation provides especially Windows.  If you do not then you have to finish the testing in reduced functionality mode or wipe the hard drive and start over.  Neither suitation works well, so I activate the computer as soon as Windows or Office is installed so I don't have to worry about getting everything done in time before the grace period ends.  With 20 activations to use for the life of Windows 7 that would not be enough for me.

What should I do when I run out of activations?  It seems that the only thing I can do is buy a new subscription to get more keys.  But by saying that you are giving the pirates a way around by reducing the number of keys.   If I was a pirate, getting two keys for Windows 7 Ultimate for the price of a Technet subscription is a good buy. Then selling them on the black market would make a tidy profit.  I could then hire mules to take out Technet subscriptions for me and still be making a profit.  What has Microsoft really accomplished with with reducing the number of keys that can be claimed?

They really haven't reduced piracy.  Pirates like subscribers would just need to buy more subscriptions. People like me who are OEM builders are angry over Microsoft actions and decide that Microsoft is not worth it.  Start building computers with Linux on them.  Putting up with Linux and trying to sell the computers seems like a good alternative compared to putting up with a Technet subscription just to test the software. Then what happens if OEM builders go to Linux so they can test the operating system on prototype computers,  Microsoft has lost sales of Windows and probably Office 2010.  In the end all they got is less money due to lost sales of Windows and Office and just as much piracy.

Besides Microsoft actions, what angried me was some people's attitudes on this forum thread.  The people who think they know what is best by saying 20 activations is enough for everyone.  Who are they kidding.  I haven't seen them at my business or home to determine if those 20 activations would be enough.  They just assume that because 20 activations works for them then it must be enough for everyone else.  That if you need more 20 activations, you must not be following the terms of the Technet license.  Your just as bad as Microsoft.

What really angers me the most is some people's view if that someone complains about what Microsoft did then either 1.) They are not abiding by the terms of the Technet license  2.) They are a pirate.  Quit being so paranoid, what Microsft did may not be legally wrong but what they did is morally wrong and breaks the trust they had with genuine subscribers who are using the software by the license terms.  If their is no trust between parties then there will be no relationship between them.  Thats why I am complaining despite what you may think.

Just let people know my view on this whole suitation.  When I joined Technet last month after activating my subscription I claimed all my keys.  So yes the 20 activation limit does not apply to me.  Therefore I'm not angry over the change per say because it doesn't affect me, but the attitude and lack of the trust of Microsoft and people on this forum is what I dislike.  For that reason I put my opinon on here.  Take or leave it Microsoft.

The way things are going Technet will turn into being nothing.  The customer service is horrible (my dog knows more about the subscription than the people I talked to on the phone).  The tools are outdated, i.e.  the download manager they force us subscribers to use. Now all of us subscribers are pirates.  Whats the point of a Technet subcription with that going for it.  Just a place for pirates to buy Microsoft software cheap and sell high. 

If Microsoft wants to build the trust between themselves and Technet customers they should do the following:

1.) Spell out in clear terms in the documentation before and after a sale of a Technet subscription how many keys to expect for each product, how many activations for each key and keep to those terms during the life of a subscription.

2.) In clear terms advise what conditions have to be meet for the number of keys or activations can be reduced.

3.) For people who have a good reason to need more keys or activations provide a easy method to obtain them.

4.) Update the documentation and tools on Technet on a regular basis

5.) Don't treat customers of Technet like they are someone to suspect.  If they suspect piracy then go after the pirates.

6.) Treat people who are subscribers and follow the license terms as someone that you respect and would like to keep with your business.

7.) Fill the customer support lines by people who know at least a basic understanding of the program. A customer should get a honest answer and not a brush off to get the person off the line.

I went off topic of this forum thread at the end because I think this latest action by Microsoft is a sympton of what Technet is becoming.  A place where one side is extremely paranoid and the other party is tired of it and will leave.

Tuesday, September 28, 2010 6:35 AM
  • I'm replying in this forum thread not because of the reduction of the keys in the subscription but the methods use to do it and some people's response in this forum.

Micrososft's reduction of the maximum number of keys I can claim for piracy makes me wonder if I can trust them in the future and raises questions about any future business dealings with them.  After all why would I do business with someone who call me a pirate.  Sure Microsoft you didn't come out in public and say I was pirate.  But you implied it by reducing the maximum number of keys I could claim in terms of cutting down piracy.  But if I'm not a pirate then why reduce my keys?

If this doesn't work on cutting down on piracy, which I believe it will not, what will Microsoft do next?  Cut down the number of activations per key or revoke claimed ones.  If your recent actions reflect your future ones then you will not tell anyone until someone no tices they cannot activate or the computer no longer passes validation.  If you cannot trust me then why should I trust Microsoft in the future.

Then there is the fact that Microsoft and some people on this forum thread who think two keys with ten activations per key is enough.  I really do not think this is enough considering that those two keys and ten activations have to last the life of the software.  If I understand renewals properly, then I do not get anymore keys as part of the renewal.  As someone who develops and tests prototype computers for a living,  I can see those 20 activations as not enough. 

Some peope say do not activate the computer.  But that assumes that you can get installing software and testing done in the grace period that activation provides especially Windows.  If you do not then you have to finish the testing in reduced functionality mode or wipe the hard drive and start over.  Neither suitation works well, so I activate the computer as soon as Windows or Office is installed so I don't have to worry about getting everything done in time before the grace period ends.  With 20 activations to use for the life of Windows 7 that would not be enough for me.

What should I do when I run out of activations?  It seems that the only thing I can do is buy a new subscription to get more keys.  But by saying that you are giving the pirates a way around by reducing the number of keys.   If I was a pirate, getting two keys for Windows 7 Ultimate for the price of a Technet subscription is a good buy. Then selling them on the black market would make a tidy profit.  I could then hire mules to take out Technet subscriptions for me and still be making a profit.  What has Microsoft really accomplished with with reducing the number of keys that can be claimed?

They really haven't reduced piracy.  Pirates like subscribers would just need to buy more subscriptions. People like me who are OEM builders are angry over Microsoft actions and decide that Microsoft is not worth it.  Start building computers with Linux on them.  Putting up with Linux and trying to sell the computers seems like a good alternative compared to putting up with a Technet subscription just to test the software. Then what happens if OEM builders go to Linux so they can test the operating system on prototype computers,  Microsoft has lost sales of Windows and probably Office 2010.  In the end all they got is less money due to lost sales of Windows and Office and just as much piracy.

Besides Microsoft actions, what angried me was some people's attitudes on this forum thread.  The people who think they know what is best by saying 20 activations is enough for everyone.  Who are they kidding.  I haven't seen them at my business or home to determine if those 20 activations would be enough.  They just assume that because 20 activations works for them then it must be enough for everyone else.  That if you need more 20 activations, you must not be following the terms of the Technet license.  Your just as bad as Microsoft.

What really angers me the most is some people's view if that someone complains about what Microsoft did then either 1.) They are not abiding by the terms of the Technet license  2.) They are a pirate.  Quit being so paranoid, what Microsft did may not be legally wrong but what they did is morally wrong and breaks the trust they had with genuine subscribers who are using the software by the license terms.  If their is no trust between parties then there will be no relationship between them.  Thats why I am complaining despite what you may think.

Just let people know my view on this whole suitation.  When I joined Technet last month after activating my subscription I claimed all my keys.  So yes the 20 activation limit does not apply to me.  Therefore I'm not angry over the change per say because it doesn't affect me, but the attitude and lack of the trust of Microsoft and people on this forum is what I dislike.  For that reason I put my opinon on here.  Take or leave it Microsoft.

The way things are going Technet will turn into being nothing.  The customer service is horrible (my dog knows more about the subscription than the people I talked to on the phone).  The tools are outdated, i.e.  the download manager they force us subscribers to use. Now all of us subscribers are pirates.  Whats the point of a Technet subcription with that going for it.  Just a place for pirates to buy Microsoft software cheap and sell high. 

If Microsoft wants to build the trust between themselves and Technet customers they should do the following:

1.) Spell out in clear terms in the documentation before and after a sale of a Technet subscription how many keys to expect for each product, how many activations for each key and keep to those terms during the life of a subscription.

2.) In clear terms advise what conditions have to be meet for the number of keys or activations can be reduced.

3.) For people who have a good reason to need more keys or activations provide a easy method to obtain them.

4.) Update the documentation and tools on Technet on a regular basis

5.) Don't treat customers of Technet like they are someone to suspect.  If they suspect piracy then go after the pirates.

6.) Treat people who are subscribers and follow the license terms as someone that you respect and would like to keep with your business.

7.) Fill the customer support lines by people who know at least a basic understanding of the program. A customer should get a honest answer and not a brush off to get the person off the line.

I went off topic of this forum thread at the end because I think this latest action by Microsoft is a sympton of what Technet is becoming.  A place where one side is extremely paranoid and the other party is tired of it and will leave.

This is true Michael,thanks for your words and really we shouldn't accept this way of treat,I'm a subscriber for 6 months now and I really was thinking about renewal from now but this way I should really think to invest my effort on another system away from Microsoft..
    Friday, October 01, 2010 12:53 AM
  • Microsoft has now updated their FAQ with some new info, but they will not reply on how many activations per key you get

Click on the image for larger version, or read the FAQ here.....

Kenneth Myhre http://blog.myhken.com http://www.microsoft.no/alpha/
    Saturday, October 02, 2010 5:21 PM
  • I dont know why you are all complaining. A single TechNet subscription is cheaper than one single retail version of windows 7. I dont know why any of you would complain when you are getting thousands of dollars of software for basically nothing. Sure you can complain about not being "treated" fairly, but lets face it, it is the people here that are benefiting, not Microsoft.

Why should you get 2500+ dollars of product keys for $199 anyway ? even with lowered key limits TechNet is still the cheapest way on the known planet to get microsoft software. Everyone here is taking advantage of this and then complain. Its like a thief complains that they finally put a lock on the door and you can no longer get free stuff.

Be happy with your exceptionally GREAT deal on MS software and go do something useful with your time.

Monday, October 04, 2010 11:07 PM
  • I'm supports you at that. But you get allot more then $2500 of software with Technet. A Server 2008 R2 Enterprise MAK key with 500 activations is around $1.443.000 if you buy one and one license. And on Technet pro you get 500 keys for Enterprise/Standard, DataCenter and Web (W2K8 R2). Thats licenses for around $2.500.000 - $3.000.000.

And the prices for Windows Server 2008 is around the same still. So thats $5-6 millions of software. And then you have all the Server 2003 licenses and all desktop products.

So I think with a Technet Pro you get keys/licenses/activations for almost $7 million, maybe more. At least with the prices here in Norway, but I don't think they is so very much higher then the US price. (Of course, this calculation is based on that you buy one and one licenses, and no using any VL agreement, but still good value for the money)

A Server 2008 R2 Enterprise licenses (with 10 CALS) cost around $2.800 here in Norway.

Kenneth Myhre

http://blog.myhken.com

http://www.microsoft.no/alpha/

Tuesday, October 05, 2010 12:42 AM
  • I dont know why you are all complaining. A single TechNet subscription is cheaper than one single retail version of windows 7. I dont know why any of you would complain when you are getting thousands of dollars of software for basically nothing. Sure you can complain about not being "treated" fairly, but lets face it, it is the people here that are benefiting, not Microsoft.

Why should you get 2500+ dollars of product keys for $199 anyway ? even with lowered key limits TechNet is still the cheapest way on the known planet to get microsoft software. Everyone here is taking advantage of this and then complain. Its like a thief complains that they finally put a lock on the door and you can no longer get free stuff.

Be happy with your exceptionally GREAT deal on MS software and go do something useful with your time.

Do you really know what a Technet subscription is between a legitimate user and Microsoft?  Otherwise you wouldn't come up that reply.  Its a lot more than getting software cheap. 

Let me answer your question in the second paragraph about getting the software for $199.  There is a simple reason.  Being a system developer (i.e.  I build compuiters, install Microsoft software on them and sell them in the retail channel) I need to test Microsoft software on the computers I'm going to sell.  If I had to buy a retail copy of Windows, Server, Office etc... on every prototype computer that comes on my workbench then I would be broke and out of business. 

Microsoft does not want people like me out of business.  We represent a revenue stream to them in the form of the OEM copies of the software we preinstall on the computer.  Microsoft to make it affordable for us, system builders, to test the software give us a huge discount on the software in the form of a Technet subscription.  Thats why the license agreement in Technet says its for evualation and testing purposes.  In the end, Microsoft makes the money when we sell the computers that we have tested.  Because we thoroughly tested it,  Microsoft software will end up with a good name because the software and computer run without problems.

Continuing on with your reply in the second paragraph.  Technet is not a cheap way to get software.  I'm not a thief or trying to get free stuff.  I'm just a business owner who wants to sell quality computers and Technet is a way for me to test the software before I sell them.  After all if I wanted free stuff then I  would go to Linux and open source. 

Let me give you a example of how it works.  Right now I have two prototype tablets that I want to sell with Windows 7 Home Premium installed on them.  I need to test them extensively so not activating them is not a option as there is not enough time in the activation grace period.  To add some clarification to people reading this, the dollar amounts I quote are in Australian as that is where I live.  So I need two licenses of Windows 7 Home Premium to test the two prototypes.  If I bought them retail, it would cost $600.  I read about Technet and it only cost $337 and I get my two licenses for Windows 7 Home Premium.  A savings of $263 assuming thats the only thing I use my Technet subscription for before renewal.

I test the tablets and decide to sell them.  I have a order for four tablets total.  So I buy four OEM copies of Windows 7 Home Premium.  At about $100 a piece that is $400.  A cost I pass onto the consumer.  With those four sales Microsoft comes out ahead.  Even though they lost $263 with me in the Technet subscription they made it back with $400 from the OEM sales.  In the long run Microsoft comes out ahead.

Now if I have to buy more Technet subscriptions to ensure I have enough product keys and activations to test all the prototypes that I want to consider selling then that cuts into my profits and raises my bottom line.  I might decide its not worth it and go into busines repairing computers instead of selling them.  Microsoft then loses me as a Technet subscriber, loses all those potential OEM sales and they certainily will not make money from me repairing computers.  So Microsoft loses out in the end but the question then becomes did they stop enough piracy to make it worth losing me. 

So think twice about saying Technet is only about buying Microsoft software cheap. Technet represents a serious business relationship between me and Microsoft.  Microsoft broke that trust in the relationship by the underhanded way they did this method of preventing piracy.  If you cannot have trust in any relationship then why bother having it.

Onto your final paragraph.  Don't tell me to be happy and do something more useful with my time.  I will be angry, depressed or whatever I want to feel.  Far as my time is concerned that is none of your business, so don't comment on it.  If I want to waste it here in the forum bitching then that is no concern of yours.

Feel free to do what you want with your time, even if you want to comment further.  Feel free to be happy because your understanding of Technet and your reply makes me believe that your one of the illegitimate users of Technet that Microsoft is trying to stop with this reduction.   After all, the only thing Technet represents to you is cheap software.

Tuesday, October 05, 2010 1:21 AM
  • Actually you are wrong on that account, TechNet subscriptions are for evaluation purposes, it is just that people like yourself have learned how to take advantage of this great offer and monitize it to your hearts content, and then complain when people "mess with your livelyhood"

I have a very simple counter argument to your well thoughtout and articulated brain dump, if all you are doing on your hardware is testing, simple solution ---- DONT ACTIVATE. wow that was easy.

By the way, i bill out at the low rate of $199 a subscription, but im actually worth 7 million.

Thanks for trying, but weak argument.

Tuesday, October 05, 2010 4:58 AM

You people just don't get it do you? Its not about the quantity of keys at all, its about Microsofts thievery and their underhandedly sneaking into and removing peoples keys without their consent, keys which were already paid for. Is that really hard to understand? I am sure you could care less because with your 7 million dollars, you can buy all the subscriptions that you want and not even bat an eyelash.
    Tuesday, October 05, 2010 6:08 AM

Do you really know what a Technet subscription is between a legitimate user and Microsoft?  Otherwise you wouldn't come up that reply.  Its a lot more than getting software cheap. 

Let me answer your question in the second paragraph about getting the software for $199.  There is a simple reason.  Being a system developer (i.e.  I build compuiters, install Microsoft software on them and sell them in the retail channel) I need to test Microsoft software on the computers I'm going to sell.  If I had to buy a retail copy of Windows, Server, Office etc... on every prototype computer that comes on my workbench then I would be broke and out of business. 

Microsoft does not want people like me out of business.  We represent a revenue stream to them in the form of the OEM copies of the software we preinstall on the computer.  Microsoft to make it affordable for us, system builders, to test the software give us a huge discount on the software in the form of a Technet subscription.  Thats why the license agreement in Technet says its for evualation and testing purposes.  In the end, Microsoft makes the money when we sell the computers that we have tested.  Because we thoroughly tested it,  Microsoft software will end up with a good name because the software and computer run without problems.

Continuing on with your reply in the second paragraph.  Technet is not a cheap way to get software.  I'm not a thief or trying to get free stuff.  I'm just a business owner who wants to sell quality computers and Technet is a way for me to test the software before I sell them.  After all if I wanted free stuff then I  would go to Linux and open source. 

Let me give you a example of how it works.  Right now I have two prototype tablets that I want to sell with Windows 7 Home Premium installed on them.  I need to test them extensively so not activating them is not a option as there is not enough time in the activation grace period.  To add some clarification to people reading this, the dollar amounts I quote are in Australian as that is where I live.  So I need two licenses of Windows 7 Home Premium to test the two prototypes.  If I bought them retail, it would cost $600.  I read about Technet and it only cost $337 and I get my two licenses for Windows 7 Home Premium.  A savings of $263 assuming thats the only thing I use my Technet subscription for before renewal.

I test the tablets and decide to sell them.  I have a order for four tablets total.  So I buy four OEM copies of Windows 7 Home Premium.  At about $100 a piece that is $400.  A cost I pass onto the consumer.  With those four sales Microsoft comes out ahead.  Even though they lost $263 with me in the Technet subscription they made it back with $400 from the OEM sales.  In the long run Microsoft comes out ahead.

Now if I have to buy more Technet subscriptions to ensure I have enough product keys and activations to test all the prototypes that I want to consider selling then that cuts into my profits and raises my bottom line.  I might decide its not worth it and go into busines repairing computers instead of selling them.  Microsoft then loses me as a Technet subscriber, loses all those potential OEM sales and they certainily will not make money from me repairing computers.  So Microsoft loses out in the end but the question then becomes did they stop enough piracy to make it worth losing me. 

So think twice about saying Technet is only about buying Microsoft software cheap. Technet represents a serious business relationship between me and Microsoft.  Microsoft broke that trust in the relationship by the underhanded way they did this method of preventing piracy.  If you cannot have trust in any relationship then why bother having it.

Onto your final paragraph.  Don't tell me to be happy and do something more useful with my time.  I will be angry, depressed or whatever I want to feel.  Far as my time is concerned that is none of your business, so don't comment on it.  If I want to waste it here in the forum bitching then that is no concern of yours.

Feel free to do what you want with your time, even if you want to comment further.  Feel free to be happy because your understanding of Technet and your reply makes me believe that your one of the illegitimate users of Technet that Microsoft is trying to stop with this reduction.   After all, the only thing Technet represents to you is cheap software.

Very well said, I believe that pretty much wraps up how I feel, and from what I have been reading all over the internet, there are many many people that were ripped off by Microsoft, and very angry. I also suspect that many others have yet to discover that they were the victims of Microsofts crime, and when they do, perhaps we can all band together and make Microsoft pay for stealing from us.
    Tuesday, October 05, 2010 6:20 AM

Now if I have to buy more Technet subscriptions to ensure I have enough product keys and activations to test all the prototypes that I want to consider selling then that cuts into my profits and raises my bottom line.   I might decide its not worth it and go into busines repairing computers instead of selling them.  Microsoft then loses me as a Technet subscriber, loses all those potential OEM sales and they certainily will not make money from me repairing computers.  So Microsoft loses out in the end but the question then becomes did they stop enough piracy to make it worth losing me. 

But remember, two keys is not two activations. Two Retail keys is 10 online activations. So you can test 20 products with each retail SKU before you need to buy a second account. And if you are testing server products, you can activate 500 times, before you need a new key.

So I don't think you have to buy several subscriptions after one test... and if you do allot of testing of Windows 7, use the Technet Pro subscription. Then you get a 500 activations MAK key for Windows 7 Enterprise/pro. It's not Home Premium, but Windows 7 HP, Pro and Ultimate/Enterprise is all working the same way, using almost the same resources. It's only Win7 Starter thats is a bit different, with no Aero and using a little less resources.

So I don't see any problem using Win7 Pro or Enterprise on your test, and then you have 500 activations before you need to buy a new subscription. With a Promo Code (out this month it's TNWNF (http://www.microsoft.com/click/technetplus/tnwnf/ )) a Technet Pro subscription only cost around $62 more then Technet Standard, so no reason to be cheap if you have a business, and need a subscription to make money.

Kenneth Myhre

Tuesday, October 05, 2010 8:04 AM

Now if I have to buy more Technet subscriptions to ensure I have enough product keys and activations to test all the prototypes that I want to consider selling then that cuts into my profits and raises my bottom line.   I might decide its not worth it and go into busines repairing computers instead of selling them.  Microsoft then loses me as a Technet subscriber, loses all those potential OEM sales and they certainily will not make money from me repairing computers.  So Microsoft loses out in the end but the question then becomes did they stop enough piracy to make it worth losing me. 

But remember, two keys is not two activations. Two Retail keys is 10 online activations. So you can test 20 products with each retail SKU before you need to buy a second account. And if you are testing server products, you can activate 500 times, before you need a new key.

So I don't think you have to buy several subscriptions after one test... and if you do allot of testing of Windows 7, use the Technet Pro subscription. Then you get a 500 activations MAK key for Windows 7 Enterprise/pro. It's not Home Premium, but Windows 7 HP, Pro and Ultimate/Enterprise is all working the same way, using almost the same resources. It's only Win7 Starter thats is a bit different, with no Aero and using a little less resources.

So I don't see any problem using Win7 Pro or Enterprise on your test, and then you have 500 activations before you need to buy a new subscription. With a Promo Code (out this month it's TNWNF (http://www.microsoft.com/click/technetplus/tnwnf/ )) a Technet Pro subscription only cost around $62 more then Technet Standard, so no reason to be cheap if you have a business, and need a subscription to make money.

Kenneth Myhre

Please read the FAQ before answering that you receive ten activations per retail key.  I refer you this question and answer:

Q. How many times can each product key be used?

A. Product keys supplied via TechNet Subscriptions do not allow unlimited activations of a product.  Product key activations vary by product, and are required for certain products.  Note only the subscription owner may install and use the software for evaluation, even if a server license has been obtained.

Even in your reply dated Saturday, October 02, 2010 5:21 PM you say that Microsoft will not say how many activations per key that you receive.  So how can you say that you get ten activations per key?

Also not subsituting another version of Windows 7 for testing in place of Windows 7 Home Premium is not a option.  When you test something you test it under the same conditions that your product will be used.  That is the problem with your suggestion.  So if I'm going test the computer with Windows 7 Enterprise or Professional then I will sell it with that version.  Which is not what my customers want or need.

By the way how do you know that you will get 500 activations for the MAK key anyway?  Please refer to me to an official Microsoft document that says I get ten activations for a retail key and a 500 activations for a MAK key.   Otherwise I do not see the advantage of getting a professional subscription when all I get is versions of software that I will not test with.

Tuesday, October 05, 2010 9:27 AM
  • Technet subscriptions are for evaluation purposes.  Evaluation means testing it so you can evaluate it. 

How am I taking a advantage of the software?  I outline how I use my Technet subscription which is within the license agreement.

Wow don't activate the software.  Why didn't I think of that?  I know when the activation grace period ends,  I'll just uninstall the software or wipe the hard drive if I'm testing Windows and reinstall it to continue my testing.  That is so much easier than activating the software.

Thanks for trying yourself, but a weak reply

Tuesday, October 05, 2010 9:49 AM

• Please read the FAQ before answering that you receive ten activations per retail key.  I refer you this question and answer:

Q. How many times can each product key be used?

A. Product keys supplied via TechNet Subscriptions do not allow unlimited activations of a product.  Product key activations vary by product, and are required for certain products.  Note only the subscription owner may install and use the software for evaluation, even if a server license has been obtained.

Even in your reply dated Saturday, October 02, 2010 5:21 PM you say that Microsoft will not say how many activations per key that you receive.  So how can you say that you get ten activations per key?

Also not subsituting another version of Windows 7 for testing in place of Windows 7 Home Premium is not a option.  When you test something you test it under the same conditions that your product will be used.  That is the problem with your suggestion.  So if I'm going test the computer with Windows 7 Enterprise or Professional then I will sell it with that version.  Which is not what my customers want or need.

By the way how do you know that you will get 500 activations for the MAK key anyway?  Please refer to me to an official Microsoft document that says I get ten activations for a retail key and a 500 activations for a MAK key.   Otherwise I do not see the advantage of getting a professional subscription when all I get is versions of software that I will not test with.

I know what they write in the FAQ, but I have done two tests the last days since the change, I can still activate 10 virtual computers on two servers with the same Win7 HP key and Office 2010 Standard key. So I still think it's 10 activations per retail key based on the test. And Mike Kinsman stated here in this thread that the numbers of activations per key is not changed:

There is some exceptions like XP K/KN keys and other KN/K keys, There it's only one online activtions per products. Not for Windows 7 N versions, but older software. (Server 2003 and XP)

Abut MAK key, you have never heard about VAMT 2.0 ? It's a free Microsoft software that can be used to check how many activations is left on a MAK key, here is my MAK keys from Technet Pro:

http://myhken.info/div/vamt_technet_mak_001.jpg

So it's 500 activations per MAK key, but not for Windows Vista Enterprise/Business, there it's only 100.

I have not added Windows Server 2008 on that list, because I'm not using it anymore, but I can make you a new list if you want a list with all MAK keys on Technet Pro...

Kenneth Myhre

http://samfunn.myhken.com

Tuesday, October 05, 2010 10:00 AM
  • Thank you Kenneth for your testing. So when you state that we get ten activations per key and x number of activations per MAK key then you are stating your opinon based on your testing.  You don't know the facts in regards to how many product activations a key can do.  I think its important to point that out.

The fact that you activated ten virutal computers doesn't really mean much. Was the ten virtual computers substantial different enough from each other to be considered ten different computers as far as activation was concerned.  If they where not substantial different enough, then your test is meaningless. 

What happen when you try to activate the eleventh virtual computer?  Did it fail to activate?  Did you bother to try to activate a eleventh virtual computer?  Did you stop at ten virtual computers becuase it proved your opinon?  Who knows we might have than ten activations per retail key.  Until we know your testing regime and how you proved or disproved your opinon then I cannot sccept it as fact or a assumption that I'm willing to take.

I think a lot of people do more harm than good on this forum and other forums.  They state their opinons like they are fact.   Making a confusing and complicated suitation worse by distorting the truth.  The truth is the following:

1.) We do not know how many activations we get from each retail key.

2.) We can figure out today how many activations we have per MAK key using VAMT.  But that only applies at the time of testing. 

This is due to Microsoft not coming out and saying how many activations we can receive per product key and also stating the terms this may change.  Until such time Microsoft comes out with that document then people should stick to the truth.  That truth being Standard users get two retail keys per product, Professional users get five keys per product.  Even that truth has exceptions.

Tuesday, October 05, 2010 12:41 PM
  • I agree that MS should have posted a official statement about the number of activation per key. But since this program (Technet) is aimed at companies that needs to evaluate MS software and since they don't want the pirates to still buy Technet subscriptions, and the rules is different for lots of the software, and types of SKUs, MAK keys etc, they job will not be done.

But I have found this on MSDN, and as all know (or should know) MSDN and Technet uses the same PID numbers and key range, so as long as it's stated on MSDN it also apply on Technet. If not, they have to start giving out new key ranges (PIDs) only for Technet.

Here is the info: ( http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/subscriptions/cc137104.aspx )

Understanding Product Key Types Listed in Subscriber Downloads

Key Type Description
    Not Applicable No key is needed to install this product.
    Retail This key allows multiple activations and is used for retail builds of the product.  In many cases, 10 activations are allowed per key, though often more are allowed on the same machine.
    Multiple Activation You can use the same key to activate multiple copies of the software. MAKs are generally used with Volume Licensing builds of a product.  Typically you will only be provided one MAK for a given edition of a product.
    Static Activation Key A key is required for installation of the product, but the key does not require activation, so it can be used for any number of installations.
    Custom Key This custom key provides special actions to activate or install.
    VA 1.0 This is a multiple activation key.
    OEM Key This is an Original Equipment Manufacturer key that allows multiple activations.
    AA Retail Key This retail key is for Academic Alliance programs and allows one activation . These keys are issued in batches.
    AA Lab Key This lab use key is for Academic Alliance programs and allows multiple activations.
    AA MAK Key This is a multiple activation key for Academic Alliance program customers.
    AA VA 1.0 This volume license key (VA 1.0) is for Academic Alliance programs and allows multiple installations.

Activating a Product

Activation is required for certain products; generally in MSDN this is limited to Windows, Windows Server, Microsoft Office client applications, and Expression Studio. When activation is required, many products allow you to install and use the product without activation for 30 days or more. If you re-image your computers frequently (i.e. once every 30 days), consider NOT activating the product.

Product keys supplied as part of your MSDN subscription do not allow unlimited activations of a product. If you use up all the available activations for a given key, you may be able to claim additional keys for that product.

If you have claimed all the available additional keys under your subscription and you have used up all the available activations on these keys, you can request additional keys by contacting your local MSDN Customer Service Center . Following validation of your request, you can claim additional keys from Subscriber Downloads as you did previously.

Kenneth Myhre

Tuesday, October 05, 2010 1:11 PM
  • I am very disappointed as well. I'm a very loyal Microsoft customer and advocate of all their products.  I feel cheated by this unannounced change.  It really makes we wonder,  I was waiting for the Windows 7 phone to arrive next, now I'm thinking of just giving up and giving more consideration to alternative products and software. Will lowering the TechNet product keys lead to increased revenue for Microsoft? … it will lead people like myself away.  I could go on and on, but I'm just to disappointed

Tuesday, October 05, 2010 5:38 PM

But as long as they don't post a official statement on the number of unique activations are allowed per key then it is anybody's guess on the answer.  They post on the download page how many keys you can claim per product why would it be any harder to indicate the number of activations per key there? 

If you are saying that Microsoft doesn't reveal the number of activations per key to keep pirates from buying Technet subscripions then why are you revealing it here in this forum.  Since you are revealing that information then Microsoft should just go ahead and make an official statement on it and settle this matter.

Why should I know that MSDN and Technet use the same PID number and key range?  I do not have a MSDN subscription to make any kind of comparison.  Since I cannot confirm your claim then I will not assume that the same rules that apply to MSDN also apply to Technet.  If you can provide reference proving your assertion about PID and key range are the same on Technet and MSDN then I will reconsider it.

I really do not think at this point that continuing this conversation is worth it.  Your convinced that there is ten activations per retail key.  It's my opnon that the only person who knows the number of activations is Microsoft and everyone else just guessing based on experience.  If experience is anything to go on,  then Microsoft will change that number in the same manner that they change the number of product keys. 

I would not be surprised at some time that Microsoft cuts the number of activations per retail key to one to further combat piracy.  When that time comes the only people on Technet will be the pirates because what a GREAT deal they would get for the software compared to the price they paid.  All the legitimate users would have left because of Microsoft's underhanded ways of dealing with the suitation of piracy and misuse of Technet.

Wednesday, October 06, 2010 1:09 PM
  • 1. If you are saying that Microsoft doesn't reveal the number of activations per key to keep pirates from buying Technet subscripions then why are you revealing it here in this forum.  Since you are revealing that information then Microsoft should just go ahead and make an official statement on it and settle this matter.

2. Why should I know that MSDN and Technet use the same PID number and key range?  I do not have a MSDN subscription to make any kind of comparison.  Since I cannot confirm your claim then I will not assume that the same rules that apply to MSDN also apply to Technet.  If you can provide reference proving your assertion about PID and key range are the same on Technet and MSDN then I will reconsider it.

3. I really do not think at this point that continuing this conversation is worth it.  Your convinced that there is ten activations per retail key.  It's my opnon that the only person who knows the number of activations is Microsoft and everyone else just guessing based on experience.  If experience is anything to go on,  then Microsoft will change that number in the same manner that they change the number of product keys. 

4. I would not be surprised at some time that Microsoft cuts the number of activations per retail key to one to further combat piracy.  When that time comes the only people on Technet will be the pirates because what a GREAT deal they would get for the software compared to the price they paid.  All the legitimate users would have left because of Microsoft's underhanded ways of dealing with the suitation of piracy and misuse of Technet.

1. I'm not working for Microsoft and don't know why they don't post the same information on both Technet and MSDN. But it's differents teams who updates the pages. I posted the numbers to show you that MSDN keys has 10 activations per key, and since I know that MSDN and Technet key is the same, the number also apply for Technet.

2. Take a look in this forum , and you will see that they ALWAYS reply with the key is a MSDN/Technet/BizSpark key (but BizSpark i MSDN, so it's basic the same). They share the same PID and key range, that's it. The only program who not have 10 activations per key is MSDNAA.

3. It's strange that you do not want to hear about other experience and/or knowledge. I was sure that was why we used forum like this, to change experince with others in the same situation. But you only want a direct reply from MS, and as you have seen in this thread, you will not get any (since you don't trust Mike Kinsman who works for Microsoft). Do you want Steve Ballmer to post here before you believe it?

If you don't trust me, other users, Microsofts employees etc, why bother using Technet in the first place? Go to the store and buy what number of licenses you need, thats so simple. Then you are sure you get what you pay for.

4. You never know, I can not say that MS 100% guaranteed don't going to change the number of activations per key. But as I have understand their system, the only way is to issue keys in batches as they do with MSDNAA, and then you only get one activation per key. And Microsoft know that no companies who is using Technet to evaluate and test their products for a year (and longer) can only have 2 or 5 activations available. And I can not see any reason why they will cut the MAK keys from 500 to 1 activation, it make no sense.

I really do not think at this point that continuing this conversation is worth it.

I agree, you don't trust anybody, you are very negative, and I'm sure you are one of them who believe there is aliens in Area 51, that it was the US that destroyed World Trade Center etc. The best thing for you is to contact customer support, and try getting a reply from them. Don't think you will get any more good answers here in this thread or forum beside the info you have got now.

Kenneth Myhre

Wednesday, October 06, 2010 3:30 PM
  • 1. If you are saying that Microsoft doesn't reveal the number of activations per key to keep pirates from buying Technet subscripions then why are you revealing it here in this forum.  Since you are revealing that information then Microsoft should just go ahead and make an official statement on it and settle this matter.

2. Why should I know that MSDN and Technet use the same PID number and key range?  I do not have a MSDN subscription to make any kind of comparison.  Since I cannot confirm your claim then I will not assume that the same rules that apply to MSDN also apply to Technet.  If you can provide reference proving your assertion about PID and key range are the same on Technet and MSDN then I will reconsider it.

3. I really do not think at this point that continuing this conversation is worth it.  Your convinced that there is ten activations per retail key.  It's my opnon that the only person who knows the number of activations is Microsoft and everyone else just guessing based on experience.  If experience is anything to go on,  then Microsoft will change that number in the same manner that they change the number of product keys. 

4. I would not be surprised at some time that Microsoft cuts the number of activations per retail key to one to further combat piracy.  When that time comes the only people on Technet will be the pirates because what a GREAT deal they would get for the software compared to the price they paid.  All the legitimate users would have left because of Microsoft's underhanded ways of dealing with the suitation of piracy and misuse of Technet.

1. I'm not working for Microsoft and don't know why they don't post the same information on both Technet and MSDN. But it's differents teams who updates the pages. I posted the numbers to show you that MSDN keys has 10 activations per key, and since I know that MSDN and Technet key is the same, the number also apply for Technet.

2. Take a look in this forum , and you will see that they ALWAYS reply with the key is a MSDN/Technet/BizSpark key (but BizSpark i MSDN, so it's basic the same). They share the same PID and key range, that's it. The only program who not have 10 activations per key is MSDNAA.

3. It's strange that you do not want to hear about other experience and/or knowledge. I was sure that was why we used forum like this, to change experince with others in the same situation. But you only want a direct reply from MS, and as you have seen in this thread, you will not get any (since you don't trust Mike Kinsman who works for Microsoft). Do you want Steve Ballmer to post here before you believe it?

If you don't trust me, other users, Microsofts employees etc, why bother using Technet in the first place? Go to the store and buy what number of licenses you need, thats so simple. Then you are sure you get what you pay for.

4. You never know, I can not say that MS 100% guaranteed don't going to change the number of activations per key. But as I have understand their system, the only way is to issue keys in batches as they do with MSDNAA, and then you only get one activation per key. And Microsoft know that no companies who is using Technet to evaluate and test their products for a year (and longer) can only have 2 or 5 activations available. And I can not see any reason why they will cut the MAK keys from 500 to 1 activation, it make no sense.

I really do not think at this point that continuing this conversation is worth it.

I agree, you don't trust anybody, you are very negative, and I'm sure you are one of them who believe there is aliens in Area 51, that it was the US that destroyed World Trade Center etc. The best thing for you is to contact customer support, and try getting a reply from them. Don't think you will get any more good answers here in this thread or forum beside the info you have got now.

Kenneth Myhre

1. What you know and what is truth are two different things.  Like you said you do not work for Microsoft therefore you should not pass off what you know as fact.  Your just another person making an assumption

2. Where in this forum would you like me to look.  Just pointing to a forum and say look there doesn't support your assertion about PIDs and keys.

3.  Of course I want to hear from other people.  What I have a problem with is people like you passing their assumptions off as fact.  I do not expect a direct reply from Microsoft.  What I do expect is for Microsoft to explicity say in the FAQ or license terms or download page how many activations per key you recevied. 

Why should I trust Microsoft after their sneaky way of reducing the product keys.  I did trust Microsoft when I bought my Technet subscription.  Since it is already purchased then I should go ahead and use it.  But that doesn't stop me from expressing my opinon and feelings on this forum.

4. More assumptions on your part.  If Microsoft does reduce the number of activations per key to a point that a company cannot test as much as they need then they will just have to buy more Technet subscriptions.  Microsoft made that clear in the FAQ.  Besides I was talking about retail keys in this point and not MAK keys like you are.

I really think you are someone that doesn't like being challenged.  You are resorting to character bashing now to make your point.  Are we getting frustated?

But you are right people should write a formal letter to Technet Support to express their opinon, propose solutions and anything else they can think of. Since I have already wrote and mailed my letter all I can do is wait.

I was wrong about ending this conversation.  This is fun.  Ready for another round?

Thursday, October 07, 2010 1:34 AM
  • I know microsoft technically has the right to do this, and that it never specified the number of keys you get, but I have to say as someone who signed up just two weeks before this change, I am feeling very ripped off.

Even if they are abiding by the letter of their agreement, it is still a very scummy move on their part. I also don't believe it had anything to do with piracy.  What probably happened is someone saw that technet gets a bunch of keys, and made a slide saying that microsoft is losing $1 billion anually due to these extra keys, so they reduced them down %80, and the jerk suite gets a promotion, and gets to be Balmers golden boy for a week or so, and we get screwed.

What microsoft should have done is said all new subs only get two keys, if you are an existing subscriber you get what you had before as long as you maintain an active subscription.

Right now I am just feeling betrayed by the company, I don't like it when people change the rules of the game after the game has already started, and since I am the person in charge of network procurement in my company, its something to consider when our server replacement cycle comes up next month (ironically I got the technet sub in order to test out different network configs in my house before proposing them to the bosses).

Wednesday, October 13, 2010 6:00 PM
  • I agree with the points raised.

Microsoft have punished the many for the actions of a few.  But the big point is they have compromised their business relationship with me.

I Before knowing of this had used the following amount of keys.

5 win 7 ultimate retail
    2 office 2010 retail
    1 office 2007 retail

I have since claimed all possible keys for home premium/pro/enterprise/ultimate for normal and N versions, some XP keys, all possible office keys 2003/2007/2010, and about 20 vista keys.  Not because I am about to use them but because I no longer trust microsoft for keeping those keys available for me should I need them.

What this shouts out to me is they lost too many subscribers from pro to standard (made the deal too good) and this is clawing their revenue back.  The one non MS guy defending this change I note managed to claim all his keys so has no loss.

Will I renew? yes however I think microsoft need to take a hard look at themselves and realise this is not a moral way to sell services.

I also find no way to contact microsoft personally about this without using one of my 2 support tickets.

Monday, October 18, 2010 1:03 PM
  • Since I'm the person you aim at (since I'm the only one posted pictures of my keys) I have to reply.
    Yes, I'm generated most of my keys the first week or so after I got my account (6-7 months ago). Just because I got a tip that it will be wise to do so, and I asked a question here at this forum and got a reply telling me that they had made the .xml function just because people like to generate their keys, and save them to a file, that you can use in a virtual test lab.

I did not know that they had plans to cut down the numbers of keys.

Still, most of the people complaining is people that uses Technet Standard. And I'm pretty sure of that most of the people complaining is people that is not working for a company evaluating software, but uses the keys for them self. Technet Standard was the "desktop" version, and most companies has to evaluate servers products also, so they will use Technet Pro.

I have always said that I'm not agree with the way MS did the change. I think the best thing was to let all current customers keep their number of keys (10 per product) and the make the change only for new customers. I'm 99% sure that any people misusing Technet generates all keys first time they login, and then never login to the account after. So I don't think this change has any effect on current piracy accounts. But on new ones, yes, the change will have effect. They can not make so much money of one account anymore. (the pirates).

I don't think MS will reverse this change for current customers, and we have to live with this change. I have got all my keys, don't know if I ever going to use all of them, but I have them. I also have keys from MSDN and MSDNAA so I will never run out of keys. But they have different EULAs and I'm using MSDN keys there I'm need to develop and test software, and Technet to evaluate software.

Kenneth Myhre

Monday, October 18, 2010 2:25 PM
  • Thanks for your response, I agree pirates most probably get all keys very early on possibly on first login as you say and then dont bother more with the account.  The chances are if someone after many months has only claimed a few keys they are not reselling them. So restricting them probably has minimal affect on piracy.  Microsoft can sell their products how they want, but this really should have not affected current customers, wthin 12 months everyone would have renewed on new terms anyway.
    Monday, October 18, 2010 5:57 PM
  • Technet Standard is not the "desktop" version.  A company or person can evualate server products with the Technet Standard subscription.  The Technet Pro subscription is geared to larger companies because the Technet Standard subscription does not have the versions of the software that use VL keys or versions of software like Windows 7 Enterprise that bigger companies would use.

Its insulting to the people that complain when you make broad sweeping accustions such as to say

"I'm pretty sure of that most of the people complaining is people that is not working for a company evaluating software, but uses the keys for them self." 

The people that complain are upset by the way Microsoft handle this piracy change. No need to draw any more conclusions than that. 

Monday, October 18, 2010 9:22 PM
  • Michael Kelly, you always has reply on my post...

Here is what the Technet team write about Technet Standard:

" We are pleased to announce the availability of TechNet Standard, a new addition to the TechNet Subscriptions product offerings along with our new brand identity. So, why are we introducing a new offering in TechNet Subscriptions? well, the TechNet Standard offering, has been designed to meet the needs of IT Professionals who are primarily working on the desktop environments . With access to only the standard editions of the software bits and limited benefits, It compliments our existing offerings and provides an opportunity to our customers to choose from editions, as suitable to their work environments and budgets.  "

http://blogs.technet.com/b/technetplussubscriptions/archive/2010/06/14/technet-subscriptions-standard-launches-today.aspx

So yes, Technet Standard is primary for desktop environments. Here is what MS promote Technet Standard on the buy page:

Kenneth Myhre

Monday, October 18, 2010 9:32 PM
  • I like replying to your posts because you always have something "interesting" to say with your assumptions.

Just because it says "software for Desktop environment" doesn't mean its only for "desktop" environments.  Thats just Microsoft saying what they propose the usage for the subscription would cover.  Not a limitation on the subscription.

I like that link you provided lets scroll down the page to the table.  Go to the Software Evualation row and the Technet Standard Column.  I qoute the following:

"Includes most MS commercial software including Beta and RC releases. Does not include Enterprise or Dynamics software."

SO my assertiong that you can test server software and you do not get software intended for larger businesses applies to the standard subscription.

Always nice replying to you

Monday, October 18, 2010 10:09 PM
  • I'd just like to thank Michael Kelly for his well presented replies. 

A shame more of the comments on here have not been of this quality.

I am also saddened by this undisclosed change from microsoft.

Monday, November 15, 2010 12:42 PM
  • What a knee-jerk move. These's just about zero chance this change will affect piracy. At best, it won't change it at all. More than likely this change will just make it worse. Either way, legitamate technet users (such as myself) get screwed. I wouldn't mind so much if it wasn't for the "we will not issue more keys no matter what" policy. I'm not up to that point just yet, but what happens when I do get there? The whole point of technet is for those keys. The "don't activate" argument is invalid. If I'm just paying for a glorified download service, there are plenty of other free methods (on Microsoft's website even!) to go about that. Seems to me that renewing a technet account is now pretty much pointless. I might as well make a new account every year and get a new set of keys and activations. I rarely need more than 20 activations per year, so why would I keep paying for an account that is maxed out?

You want to properly address this, Microsoft? Here's how you do it.

A: Leave the current policies in place, but give us a system to delete and deactivate keys (as mentioned by at least one other person in this thread). If we're going to be limited to what we have and nothing more, then we NEED a way to remove activations on systems that are no longer in use. Don't give me the "buy more accounts" line, that's nothing but a money grab. For the reason I mentioned above, I doubt anyone will do that anyway.

OR

B: Reinstate the "if you need more keys, call us" policy. Is it really that hard to tell if someone is abusing technet? Even if there's a lead time of a couple days while someone reviews the request, that's fine. Not being able to legitamately claim new keys beyond the limit does nothing but punish legitamate users for the actions of the illegitamte.

Saturday, November 20, 2010 5:35 PM

MikeMc

Um, that's not how you spell "bait". 
    Wednesday, November 24, 2010 12:29 AM
  • Unfortunately, all 10 keys will stop working once an 11th one is activated. All your previous installations will stop working. At least that is what I deduced from the keys I naively bought from Chinese guys on ebay once!!
    Friday, January 21, 2011 10:00 PM
  • Thanks for your question Petsku.  The way to get more product keys is to purchase another subscription. These limits are defined per subscription license.  

Thanks,
    Mike

And most people here paid for a subscription license that allowed for more keys.  Paid their premium for this service.  I'm sure you can't then, a few months down the line decide to limit their keys to watch they originally purchased the licence for.  If it was mean, I'd want a partial refund.  This would be like being on a mobile network with 1000 free txt messages.  Then they suddenly change it the next day to 500.  You'd be entitled to cancel your contract and for a refund as the mobile network has broken the contract you paid for.  Microsoft has clearly broken the contract I've paid for.  It's why I won't be resubbing this year.  Not only that, they had the cheek to tell me if I resub, they'll give me a discount.  Nice, how much?  £1

WOW you're so generous!

Monday, January 24, 2011 9:38 PM
  • That is what Microsoft is could for , but I think thy have a 30 day window , not Shure but they changed the ELUE not to long ago , I had to singed it or No Microsoft ..!  
    Tuesday, July 02, 2013 8:41 AM