none
Created windows service fails to start

Question

• Hi all. We have a piece of software that must always be running on a Windows Server 2008 box. 

Currently due to poor development, this software is only run by a local user (not as SYSTEM nor initiated via a Windows Service) so when our user gets logged off, the software goes down with it.

I have to find a way to get a particular command to run (as administrator) when the machine turns on (even if a user a user does not log in). I have been playing with the SC command to create a service but I cannot get the service to start. I keep receiving the error:

FAILED 1053: The service did not respond to the start or control request in a timely fashion.

Another option I was trying as a temporary fix was to use the PsTools to launch the software. When the processes are running they are running as SYSTEM, but they still shut down when the user is logged off. Is there an easier way to get services to work? Or another way entirely to get software to launch on System boot? Please note that I am very restricted in this environment so doing this without the use of 3rd party tools is preferable. Thank you!!

Sunday, February 23, 2014 10:20 PM

Answers

All replies