none
Windows 8 Freezes at screen save / lock screen

Question

• If I leave my desk and lock the screen or leave it to go to the screen saver, when I return I often find the screen has frozen and I'm forced to hold the power button to shut down the computer.

Usually the screen is frozen with the screen save / lockscreen showing, however other times the screen returns to my desktop but it's like there is a 'sheet of glass' over everything.  I can see all my documents but I save! My mouse cursor moves but I can't click on anything and the keys don't do anything. If I move the cursor to the corners of the screen the charms all slide out etc. but if I click any of them then the screen freezes completely.  The hard drive light is not flashing while the screen is frozen, ie. There's no excessive disk access

I have noticed that every time the computer boots up again, after my having forced the power down, I see a 'Windows is Configuring Updates' screen. However, if I check the windows update history there are no updates listed.  Unless the updates are Windows 8 RT updates ?

This is really @$%^$# me off.

Thursday, August 01, 2013 10:29 AM

All replies

• Hi,

It seems the graphic card driver is not compatible with Windows 8. The driver cannot be loaded correctly from sleep. Therefore, computer will reload the built-in driver and configure it at the next boot.

Please go to manufacturer's website and find the latest graphic card, install it for a test.

Niki Han
    TechNet Community Support

• Proposed as answer by KelsWheeler Friday, August 02, 2013 3:19 PM
    • Unproposed as answer by BladeSoftware Monday, August 05, 2013 7:29 AM
    Friday, August 02, 2013 3:06 PM
  • Hi,

I've double checked my graphics card driver and it's the latest version.

I've 'unmarked' your response as an answer since my machine isn't resuming from sleep/hibernate.
    My screen is set to dim but not switch off and sleep is disabled.

Regards,
    Michael

Monday, August 05, 2013 7:34 AM
  • This just happened again. 
    This is at least the 3rd time since I posted this question.

Wednesday, August 21, 2013 10:46 AM
  • Check all 5 steps from scenario 3:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2028504

"A programmer is just a tool which converts caffeine into code"

Wednesday, August 21, 2013 6:25 PM
    Answerer
  • Thanks for the reply. Scenario 3 has the following:

1.Overclocking: Disable overclocking to see whether the issue occurs when the system is run at the correct speed.
    [Me] I'm using a laptop and I haven't overclocked the cpu or gpu

2.Check the memory: Verify the memory by using a memory checker. Verify that each memory chip is the same speed and that it is configured correctly in the system.
    [Me] I ran the 'built in' memory diagnostic tool (mdsched) and it found no memory issues

3.Power supply: Make sure that the power supply has enough wattage to appropriately handle the installed devices. If you added memory, installed a newer processor, installed additional drives, or added external devices, such devices can require more energy than the current power supply can provide consistently.
    [Me] I'm using a laptop and I've not added or swapped any hardware. I don't usually have an external drive attached (unless doing a backup) and I don't have multiple monitors.

4.Overheating: Check whether the system is overheating by examining the internal temperature of the hardware.
    [Me] I'm not sure how to do this, but I doubt the machine is overheating. It sits on my desk with plenty of space around the air vents.

5.Defaults: Reset the system back to the system defaults to see whether the issues occur when the system is running in its default configuration.
    [Me] I haven't changed things in the BIOS and I'm not sure what other system defaults I would need to re-set?

Tuesday, August 27, 2013 7:38 AM