none
Problems Joining a Domain after migration from Windows Server 2003 to Windows Server 2008 R2

Question

• Hello all,

I recently moved all servers from an older 2003 server to a newer 2008 R2 server. Everything seems fine, except when I powered the old machine off, it seemed Active Directory still points to the old server as a domain controller. This is especially weird since the new server has all the FSMO roles, is the PDC, etc.

I can consistently recreate the following error by taking the old PDC offline, and attempting to add new client to the domain. This is the error I get (domain name changed of course):

** Start of Error **

Note: This information is intended for a network administrator.  If you are not your network's administrator, notify the administrator that you received this information, which has been recorded in the file C:\Windows\debug\dcdiag.txt.

DNS was successfully queried for the service location (SRV) resource record used to locate a domain controller for domain "mydomain.com":

The query was for the SRV record for _ldap._tcp.dc._msdcs.mydomain.com

The following domain controllers were identified by the query:
    oldserver.mydomain.com

However no domain controllers could be contacted.

Common causes of this error include:

- Host (A) or (AAAA) records that map the names of the domain controllers to their IP addresses are missing or contain incorrect addresses.

- Domain controllers registered in DNS are not connected to the network or are not running.

** End of Error **

My question: how do I point this (I'm assuming) Active Directory DNS record to the new server?

Thanks in advance for the help.

Patrick

Tuesday, October 29, 2013 1:24 AM

Answers

All replies

• Hi Patrick, 

Seems some of migration steps may be missed!?!?.Correct me If I am wrong.

Anyway check event viewer for the errors/warnings if any? and troubleshoot it accordingly. Also do metadata clean-up once and check for the difference. 

Please refer similar thread discussed in our forum earlier.

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/windowsserver/en-US/ed9d4c92-0ef7-4879-a99e-06288fbc3676/migrating-server-2003-to-server-2008-r2?forum=winserverMigration

Regards, Ravikumar P

Wednesday, October 30, 2013 8:44 AM
  • Hi Ravikumar,

Sorry for the delayed response. I never got an email from Technet alerting me of a response.

I went through your tutorial link and, though I went through the migration a year ago, that all looks very familiar. A few notes:

• DNS is Running "Active Directory-Integrated"
    • The new server is already the master of all FSMO roles and is the PDC.

I can't help but continue to look back at the exact error message. It points to a specific file that I can get to in the DNS manager. If you look at the error message, there is a line that states, "The query was for the SRV record for _ldap._tcp.dc._msdcs.mydomain.com"

So, I go to the reverse of that in the DNS Manager's directory hierarch: mydomain > _msdcs > dc > _tcp > Then there are two files called _ldap (the last of the string in the error message). One points to the old server, and one points to the new server. So, both servers are in the exact SRV record. I also went through the properties of both files and, except for the host names, they are the exact same.

What I can't seem to understand is, why aren't both servers listed in the error message where it shows, "The following domain controllers were identified by the query:"

Thanks for any help you give, or anybody else who comments.

Tuesday, November 19, 2013 2:31 AM