none
USB driver failed- no access to keyboard or mouse- how to reinstall?

Question

• After the update from Win 8 to Win 8.1, USB drivers failed to work. I need to reinstall drivers but I can not progress past the log in screen because I can not touch keyboard to activate log in screen and log in. Does it mean- I have to reinstall entire OS and wipe out my hard drive just to install USB driver? There got to be a better way! I have new EVO SSD. Would it help if I install OS on that drive? The goal is to eventually install the drivers on the SanDisk- original SSD with OS. I can not enter Safe mode: pressing F8 brings boot priority (I can select which drive to boot from), but not Safe mode. I was told to keep pressing F8 and it will load but it does not. Windows take over and USB stops working along with keyboard. I have so much stuff on C drive- reinstalling OS would be last thing I want to do. Thank you.  
    Sunday, October 20, 2013 12:20 AM

Answers

• Have you tried the on screen keyboard?? If this works maybe you can get and install driver. I almost had this problem when I installed but I had downloaded drivers before hand so was able to get lan and wireless working for internet. Also if you have another computer maybe get driver and burn to disk??
    Sunday, October 20, 2013 9:18 AM
  • Hi,

According to your description, as we couldn’t access into system, may be you can try to use Windows 8.1 installation image to repair your system for test.

How to restore, refresh, or reset your PC: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-8/restore-refresh-reset-pc

If still no use and we still couldn’t access into system, you can try to use EaseUS Todo Backup to back up your system file and make a refresh install.

Note: Microsoft provides third-party contact information to help you find technical support. This contact information may change without notice. Microsoft does not guarantee the accuracy of this third-party contact information.

Roger Lu
    TechNet Community Support

Tuesday, October 22, 2013 2:11 AM

All replies

• Have you tried the on screen keyboard?? If this works maybe you can get and install driver. I almost had this problem when I installed but I had downloaded drivers before hand so was able to get lan and wireless working for internet. Also if you have another computer maybe get driver and burn to disk??
    Sunday, October 20, 2013 9:18 AM
  • Hi,

According to your description, as we couldn’t access into system, may be you can try to use Windows 8.1 installation image to repair your system for test.

How to restore, refresh, or reset your PC: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-8/restore-refresh-reset-pc

If still no use and we still couldn’t access into system, you can try to use EaseUS Todo Backup to back up your system file and make a refresh install.

Note: Microsoft provides third-party contact information to help you find technical support. This contact information may change without notice. Microsoft does not guarantee the accuracy of this third-party contact information.

Roger Lu
    TechNet Community Support

Tuesday, October 22, 2013 2:11 AM