none
Disk and volume sizing

Question

•  

I am setting up a new W2K8R2 server. It will be both a 2nd Domain Controller and a file server. There was a desire to have a lot of disk space. We have (4) 2 TB drives for the server. I have not used drives this big so I was unaware of the 2 TB size limit. I originally setup a RAID 1+0 of all four.  That would yield about 3.6 TB to use. During the W2K8R2 install, the C drive was created at 2,199,014,862,848. The remaining space shows as unallocated but I can't add as a volume. Is there also not only a filesystem 2 TB limit but also a physical volume or logical volume 2 TB limit as well? Another issue was Windows backup said it could not protect volumes larger than 2088958 MB. I shrunk the size of the C down under that and then Disk Backup of the succeeded. I still can't allocate the unused space. Would I have been better off having two RAID one logical volumes of about 1.8 TB each? We wanted RAID 1+0 but we own the 2.0 TB drives now so I am scrambling for answers. I will erase and re-install using sizing suggestions I am given here. Last question is Windows filesystems. Usually we just use on big C drive unless there are application requirements to have C, D, E etc. If I did just have to RAID 1 could I have a C drive at and a D or whatever letter it is each at about 1.8 TB?

Saturday, March 22, 2014 10:44 PM

All replies

• Hi

For the disk itselft it must be initialized in GPT, not MBR to be able to see the full size.

To be able to boot on it, the BIOS must be set in UEFI's mode. (Thats where maybe you got a problem if your BIOS is not set correctly)

I would direct you to that http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2581408 for furter reading.

So, for me in the end you better do a simple RAID 1+0, and some volume on it maybe.

Regards, Philippe

Sunday, March 23, 2014 3:45 AM
  • Hi,

You can choose using the MBR partition but must keep their size below 2 TB, without use the GPT format partition you will meet this issue:

To this point, the following incorrect behavior is known to occur when Windows handles single-disk storage capacity of greater than 2 TB:

•The numeric capacity beyond 2 TB overflows. This results in the system being able to address only the capacity beyond 2 TB. For example, on a 3 TB disk, the available capacity may be only 1 TB.

•The numeric capacity beyond 2 TB is truncated. This results in no more than 2 TB of addressable space. For example, on a 3 TB disk, the available capacity may be only 2 TB.

•The storage device is not detected correctly. In this case, it is not displayed in either the Device Manager or Disk Management windows.

You can change a disk from MBR to GPT partition style as long as the disk does not contain any partitions or volumes.

More information:

Change a Master Boot Record Disk into a GUID Partition Table Disk

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc725671.aspx

Hope this helps.

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time.
    Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.

Thursday, March 27, 2014 7:39 AM