none
Outgoing email bounced "Message bounced by Administrator" - Need some troubleshooting ideas

Question

• Hi there, 

We use a payroll program to manage our payroll. This program allows you to automatically send the payslips via email direct from the program via smtp. 

On our most recent pay run all of these emails that were sent externally have bounced back with the message: 

The e-mail system was unable to deliver the message, but did not report a specific reason. Check the address and try again. If it still fails, contact your system administrator. 
    < filter3.content.vf.net.nz #5.0.0 smtp; 5.x.0 - Message bounced by administrator (delivery attempts: 0)> 

The only change that I can remember having happened since the last pay run was the installation of a new anti-virus software (ESET Mail Security 4), however I have since removed this software and we are still getting the issue (although with a longer delay before the bounce). 

The message tracking feature doesn't seem to be able to find the original message so only provides details about the NDR, making it difficult to identify the actual problem. 

I'm running a bit light on ideas now so if anyone has any troubleshooting tips then they would be greatly appreciated. Running SBS 2003 with SP2 installed.

Many thanks, 

Rob
    Friday, May 20, 2011 2:14 AM

Answers

• Hi,

The message you are having is not saying very much. But can you tell if filter3.content.vf.net.nz is your server or a smarthost you are sending to or just a server from one of your recepients you are sending to.? 

If it is not your server it looks like this server has changed something in it's configuration (because it worked before) so you should contact them to verify they have changed some thing.

Regards Ronny
    -------------
    Visit my Blog or follow me on Twitter
    • Marked as answer by robstewartnz Monday, May 23, 2011 10:02 PM
    Friday, May 20, 2011 7:37 AM

All replies

• Hi,

The message you are having is not saying very much. But can you tell if filter3.content.vf.net.nz is your server or a smarthost you are sending to or just a server from one of your recepients you are sending to.? 

If it is not your server it looks like this server has changed something in it's configuration (because it worked before) so you should contact them to verify they have changed some thing.

Regards Ronny
    -------------
    Visit my Blog or follow me on Twitter
    • Marked as answer by robstewartnz Monday, May 23, 2011 10:02 PM
    Friday, May 20, 2011 7:37 AM
  • Thanks Ronny, 
    I had established that the filter2.vf server was a Vodafone server but when I initially contacted them they claimed it was internal to our system, so back I went to our system. 
    You response showed me I was initially on the right track so I've got back on Vodafone's case and now they are looking into it at their end.
    Cheers!
    Rob
    Monday, May 23, 2011 10:02 PM