none
User can't create new folder or save to desktop Error: 0x800401E5

Question

• I changed a user's last name and email address from Active Directory and Exchange after she got married and now she is not able to create a new folder on her Desktop nor is she able to save to her desktop.

We use roaming profile so I got her to login on another computer and she was still not able to create New Folder nor Save to desktop. When I login to her computer with my profile, I am able to create a new folder and also save to my desktop, so it points to one thing -- Her User Profile.

Please Help on what to do.

• - Windows Server 2008 R2
    • - Citrix Online Plug-in 12.3.0,8

Aspire to know more!

Tuesday, November 05, 2013 6:11 PM

Answers

• After much research, I realized that the reason for this problem is because the user's folder redirection is pointing to the wrong folder (the previous profile folders before the name change).

This is how I solved the issue.

To change your default desktop location, do the following:

- Open the Registry editor (Regedit.exe)
    - Browse to the location:
    - HKCU > Software > Microsoft > Windows > CurrentVersion > Explorer > User Shell Folders.
    - In the right window pane select the required value (i.e. Desktop).- Insert the new location for the folder to be stored.
    - Close the registry editor and log off.

When you log back on your Windows 7 folder location such as the desktop, it will be stored at the new location. You do need to note that any content that was stored in the old location does not move with the change and will need to be moved from the old location to the new location before you will see it again.

Aspire to know more!

• Marked as answer by Kelvd4real Thursday, November 21, 2013 10:20 PM
    Thursday, November 21, 2013 10:20 PM

All replies

• Anyone with a solution? Please Help!

Aspire to know more!

Wednesday, November 06, 2013 2:35 PM
  • Hi, 

Sorry for reply deplay.

Based on your description, the user account can’t save to desktop. So, when this problematic user account logon the client, please check the permissions that this user account had for C driver.

1. Right-click on the C: drive, and then click Properties.

2. Click the Security tab.

3. Under Group or user names, click your name (this user account) to see the permissions this user have.

As you say, this issue seems it’s related to user roaming profile. Actually, it could be caused that the user account is corrupted. Please create a new user account and create a roaming user profile for this user. Note: Do not give the existing user name for the new user account. And then check if this issue still exist.

Regarding the Error Code: 0x800401E5, it happens when your operating system becomes misconfigured, important system files go missing or get damaged. This is a common problem with computers that don’t get maintained regularly.

Hope this helps.

Best regards,

Justin Gu

Tuesday, November 19, 2013 3:20 AM
  • After much research, I realized that the reason for this problem is because the user's folder redirection is pointing to the wrong folder (the previous profile folders before the name change).

This is how I solved the issue.

To change your default desktop location, do the following:

- Open the Registry editor (Regedit.exe)
    - Browse to the location:
    - HKCU > Software > Microsoft > Windows > CurrentVersion > Explorer > User Shell Folders.
    - In the right window pane select the required value (i.e. Desktop).- Insert the new location for the folder to be stored.
    - Close the registry editor and log off.

When you log back on your Windows 7 folder location such as the desktop, it will be stored at the new location. You do need to note that any content that was stored in the old location does not move with the change and will need to be moved from the old location to the new location before you will see it again.

Aspire to know more!

• Marked as answer by Kelvd4real Thursday, November 21, 2013 10:20 PM
    Thursday, November 21, 2013 10:20 PM
  • Hi,

I’m glad to hear that you have resolved the issue and thanks for sharing your solution in the forum. This will help others who face the same scenario resolve the issue quickly. If there is anything else I can do for you, please do not hesitate to let me know. I will be very happy to help.

Best regards,

Justin Gu

Friday, November 22, 2013 1:00 AM
  • Justin Gu,

In a former post in this thread you link a website which is fraudulent.  The link provided make you download RegCureProSetup.exe which is a famous tool to break anyone's PC, not endorsed by MS.

You cannot link to a site that looks like it's from microsoft and installs PUP on your computer.  It's totally unresponsible from someone tagged as a forum moderator on technet. Your title of moderator should be removed immediately.

Can we have a true moderator here to remove Justin Gu's rights so he never break any more PCs?  

Thanks

Maggo

Monday, December 23, 2013 3:54 PM