none
If I use SharePoint-online List as my Data Store How do I do the data-refresh in Power BI for Office 365

Question

• Hi
    I have 2 questions.
    1.) Can I use Excel as my data-store? (ie. Edit  rows in my excel sheet that should reflect in Power view BI-report).
    Is it possible?

2.) I have created a sharePoint online list and created one Power view report based on this and uploaded.
    How can I make it possible those changes in the list that should reflect in the report?

Thanks 

S H A J A N

Sunday, April 13, 2014 3:23 PM

Answers

• Hi,

If you have a sheet in Excel with data from a SharePoint Online list you can switch to the PowerPivot ribbon and ask to add it to the model. This will allow you to reference this table when you create a PowerView report.

This workbook, with the Odata feed can then be refreshed via the scheduled refresh feature of Power BI Site. There is not need for a gateway in such a scenario (per your other question)

GALROY

Sunday, April 13, 2014 5:12 PM

All replies

• Hi,

If you have a sheet in Excel with data from a SharePoint Online list you can switch to the PowerPivot ribbon and ask to add it to the model. This will allow you to reference this table when you create a PowerView report.

This workbook, with the Odata feed can then be refreshed via the scheduled refresh feature of Power BI Site. There is not need for a gateway in such a scenario (per your other question)

GALROY

Sunday, April 13, 2014 5:12 PM
  • Hi

With regards to your reply/comment

"If you have a sheet in Excel with data from a SharePoint Online list"

Can the SharePoint list to Excel/PowerPivot data model be automated too, ie which type of data source connection is needed to connect to the SharePoint list? I'm assuming don't need the manual export to Excel approach?  I'm looking to have automatically updating data/reports showing the results of SharePoint lists and surveys for people to explore

Paul

Friday, June 06, 2014 4:32 PM
  • You connect to the SPO list using Odata Feed.

From the data ribbon select the option 'from other sources" under which you can find the option "from odata data feed"

The Odata URL will be something like:

https://MyCompany.sharepoint.com/MySite/MySubSite/_vti_bin/listdata.svc/MyList

If you are not sure what is the list name, you can drop just browse to https://MyCompany.sharepoint.com/MySite/MySubSite/_vti_bin/listdata.svc and this will provide a list of all the lists in that site/sub-site.

Once you have those in the model and you setup scheduled refresh, it will refresh the lists directly from SPO (using the owner identity)

hope this helps.

GALROY

Friday, June 06, 2014 7:25 PM