none
Manage Data Refresh error: "The PowerPivot service application is invalid or does not exist."

Question

• We have recently set up a SharePoint 2013 farm with SSRS and PowerPivot (both SQL 2012 SP1) integrated. Everything seems to be working with one exception. If you select the "Manage Data Refresh" button in a PowerPivot Gallery or the "Manage PowerPivot Data Refresh" link from the context menu in a document library you immediately get an error message:

Sorry, something went wrong
          An unexpected error has occurred
          Technical details
          Go back to site

Expanding "Technical details" yields a correlation ID and date-time.

Finding that correlation ID in the SharePoint ULS logs yields the following error message:

The PowerPivot service application is invalid or does not exist.

This appears to be coming from an attempt to access page "/_layouts/15/PowerPivot/ViewDataRefreshHistory.aspx" and includes the following stack trace:

System.Exception: The PowerPivot service application is invalid or does not exist.    at
    Microsoft.AnalysisServices.SPAddin.DataRefresh.DataRefreshUtils.GetDefaultProxy(String url)     at
    Microsoft.AnalysisServices.SPAddin.DataRefresh.DataRefreshHistory.LoadDataRefreshHistoryByID(String url)     at
    Microsoft.AnalysisServices.SPAddin.DataRefresh.ViewDataRefreshHistory.LoadItems()     at
    System.EventHandler.Invoke(Object sender, EventArgs e)     at
    Microsoft.AnalysisServices.SPAddin.GeminiPageBase.OnLoad(EventArgs e)     at
    System.Web.UI.Control.LoadRecursive()     at
    System.Web.UI.Page.ProcessRequestMain(Boolean includeStagesBeforeAsyncPoint, Boolean includeStagesAfterAsyncPoint)

The interesting thing is, interactive data refresh (selecting "Refresh all data connections" from the Data menu when the PowerPivot sheet is displayed in the browser) works just fine.

I've verified everything that I can think of related to PowerPivot in the SharePoint farm and all seems to be in order. I've been unsuccessful finding any information about this on the Internet and any assistance would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

Mike:o

Thursday, February 27, 2014 7:03 PM

All replies

• Hi Mike,

Can you Check whether your webapplication has access  to the powerpivot service applications.

Go to the service connections of the webapplication and select the powerpivot service application if it is unselected.

Check whether u have installed Server Server Service pack and

SQLSERVER2008_ASADOMD10.msi

SQLSERVER2008_ASOLEDB10.msi

data providers are installed.

It still errors accors

check with our datarefresh account

whether data refresh account has access to the cube?

Thanks

Ravi

Ravi

Monday, March 03, 2014 2:51 AM
  • Hi Mike,

I also would suggest you to check if you create a PowerPivot Service Application or assign a PowerPivot Service Application to a Web Application. Here is the document for yur reference, please see:
    http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ee210685.aspx

Generally, a service application is created automatically if you used the PowerPivot Configuration Tool to configure the server. You can also use the PowerPivot Configuration Tool to repair an existing installation of PowerPivot for SharePoint. For more information, please see:
    http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ff487967.aspx

Regards,

Elvis Long
    TechNet Community Support

Friday, March 07, 2014 6:20 AM
  • The service application does exist (I used the document you referenced) and I have tried using the configuration tool to "repair". That did not resolve the issue.

Mike:o

Tuesday, March 11, 2014 12:28 PM
  • moverholt

I am wondering whether you found any solution for this issue. Can you please share the solution if you had a chance to resolve this issue.

Friday, June 27, 2014 6:20 PM
  • No, unfortunately we never did get it resolved before my priorities changed. sorry...
    Friday, June 27, 2014 7:03 PM