none
Groove Relay Question

Question

• Hi There,

We have a groove 2007 infrastructure which includes a Groove relay running on Windows 2008 R2 & Groove 2007 running on clients, From what i understands

The Groove Relay is for the :

Awareness of contacts who are not on your LAN.

Exchange of Groove Workspace data and messages with contacts who are not logged on to Groove at the same time that you are logged on.

Exchange of Groove Workspace data and messages with contacts with whom you cannot establish a direct connection. In a restricted network environment, this may be any contacts who are not on your local network.  

A. My Problem is when there is a disk crash for one of our users ,

I will restore the user's account but I will not be able to get his workspaces, I'll get the option to download Workspace from Office Groove 2007 but it will stay downloading as Status.

My Question is if we have a backup of the User's account is it not enough together with the Groove Relay to obtain the user's Workspace?

B. The other issue is when i want to transfer the Workspace from one computer to another, for example for mainteance on the 1st laptop, i'm forced to backup the account & restore the account onto the 2nd computer & both need to be connected onto the network so that they can synchronize to update completely the 2nd computer.     

My Second question is that as we have the Groove relay server i think it would have made sense that despite the 1st computer not being on the network, i would still be able to download the workspaces onto the 2nd computer through the Groove Relay, I'm i Right?  

C. My Third & last question is if we did a backup of the account at time of creation but after some time Wokspaces have been created but no backup of the account has been made afterwards, if a disk crash occur & as we have only the account at time of creation as backup I'm i supposed to get the workspaces despite not having a current backup of the account.

Thanking you in anticipation of your help

Thursday, December 29, 2011 10:12 AM

Answers

• A. Your summary of what the Relay is used for is correct. However, the Relay does not keep the data it forwards, so you cannot restore a workspace from it. For example, imagine you have one workspace with one other member who is not online at the same time you are. This workspace has ten files, and you change one of those files. All or part of the changed file (depending on size and how difficult it would be for Groove to integrate just the changes) is sent to the other member's relay. However, once they fetch those changes, they are deleted from the relay. If you lost your data, you could not fetch any of it from the relay. You could, however, fetch the workspace from the other workspace member, or from another instance of your account that had the workspace. 

If you have single-user workspaces on one computer, it is a good idea to occasionally save each workspace to an archive.

A & C. The account file also does not contain workspace contents. It contains the account data, including preferences, contacts, and the list of workspaces that  the account belongs to and what other members those workspaces have. Those last two items enable the account to fetch missing workspaces from other members. If you join or create workspaces after making an account backup, there is no way to do this. In that case, the account will need to be reinvited to the workspace by another member. We advise backing up your account at least every 60 days, and also after significant account changes.

B. Both computers need to be online. The Relay is used to exchange data with another contact. It is not used between instances an account on mulitple computers. If this is a problem, you may want to use the workaround documented in "How to copy Groove 2007 data to a new computer when a network connection is very slow or when a network connection does not exist", which I link to below.

Here are some resources with more detailed instructions and information:

• Marked as answer by Paco2k9 Tuesday, January 03, 2012 4:43 AM
    Friday, December 30, 2011 10:25 PM

All replies

• A. Your summary of what the Relay is used for is correct. However, the Relay does not keep the data it forwards, so you cannot restore a workspace from it. For example, imagine you have one workspace with one other member who is not online at the same time you are. This workspace has ten files, and you change one of those files. All or part of the changed file (depending on size and how difficult it would be for Groove to integrate just the changes) is sent to the other member's relay. However, once they fetch those changes, they are deleted from the relay. If you lost your data, you could not fetch any of it from the relay. You could, however, fetch the workspace from the other workspace member, or from another instance of your account that had the workspace. 

If you have single-user workspaces on one computer, it is a good idea to occasionally save each workspace to an archive.

A & C. The account file also does not contain workspace contents. It contains the account data, including preferences, contacts, and the list of workspaces that  the account belongs to and what other members those workspaces have. Those last two items enable the account to fetch missing workspaces from other members. If you join or create workspaces after making an account backup, there is no way to do this. In that case, the account will need to be reinvited to the workspace by another member. We advise backing up your account at least every 60 days, and also after significant account changes.

B. Both computers need to be online. The Relay is used to exchange data with another contact. It is not used between instances an account on mulitple computers. If this is a problem, you may want to use the workaround documented in "How to copy Groove 2007 data to a new computer when a network connection is very slow or when a network connection does not exist", which I link to below.

Here are some resources with more detailed instructions and information:

• Marked as answer by Paco2k9 Tuesday, January 03, 2012 4:43 AM
    Friday, December 30, 2011 10:25 PM
  • Hi Thanks for your quick reply, it's really helps for better understanding of how it works & thanks for the useful links.

Again Best wishes for 2012.

Tuesday, January 03, 2012 4:46 AM