none
RDS Connection Broker and SQL Express Edition 2012 with Advanced Features

Question

• Hi Folks,

I am creating a lab Windows Server 2012 R2 with RDS.

My scenario is:

2 Servers License / Broker
    2 Servers Session Host.

One of the server that will function Session host, has a SQL 2012 Express edition with advanced features.

I configured both servers Broker with High Availability, everything working.

Is it possible to have servers Broker as Active / Active?

My connectionBroker called {Lakai.footwear.com, Vans.footwear.com}

I'm getting an error at the time of using the command

PS C: \> Set-RDConnectionBrokerHighAvailability -ConnectionBroker "my Connection broker" -DatabaseConnectionString "DRIVER = SQL Server Native Client 11.0;SERVER =Globe;Trusted_Connection=Yes;APP= Remote Desktop Services Connection Broker;Database=RDSSQL" -DatabaseFilePath" E:\ Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL.11.RDSSQL\MSSQL\DATA\RDSSQDL.mdf "-ClientAccessName "RDSFARM.footwear.com"

Thanks a lot

Wilsterman Fernandes

Sunday, August 31, 2014 4:08 AM

Answers

All replies

• Hi Wilsterman,

What is the error you are getting?

Did you make sure the proper firewall ports are open on the inbound firewall on the server with SQL express?  You can temporarily change the default behavior for Inbound connections the active firewall profile on the SQL express server to "allow" to rule out the firewall.

Sunday, August 31, 2014 5:00 AM
  • Hi Jeremy,

PS C:\Users\administrator.FOOTWEAR> Set-RDConnectionBrokerHighAvailability -ConnectionBroker "Lakai.footwear.com" -DatabaseConnectionString "DRIVER=SQL Server Native Client 11.0;SERVER=Globe;Truted_Connection=Yes;APP=Remote Desktop Services Connection Broker;DATABASE=RDSSQL" -DatabaseFilePath "E:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL.11.RDSSQL\MSSQL\DATA\RDSSQL.mdf" -ClientAccessName= "RDSFARM.footwear.com"

Set-RDConnectionBrokerHighAvailability : The RD Connection Broker server is Configured for high availability.

At line:1 char:1

+ Set-RDConnectionBrokerHighAvailability -ConnectionBroker "Lakai.footwear.com" -D ...

+~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

+CategoryInfo                        : NotSpecified: (:) [Write-Error], WriteErrorExecption

+FullyQualifiedErrorID             : Microsoft.Powershell.Commands.WriteErrorExecption,Set-RDConnectionBrokkerHighAvailability

Wilsterman Fernandes

Sunday, August 31, 2014 1:08 PM
  • Have you set the correct permissions on the SQL DB?

See the link under SQL Permissions here ->

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/wiki/contents/articles/10391.installing-and-configuring-rd-connection-broker-high-availability-in-windows-server-2012.aspx

Are you running Powershell with Run as Administrator?
    • Edited by JayuuBee Sunday, August 31, 2014 3:53 PM
    Sunday, August 31, 2014 3:51 PM
  • Hi again Jeremy,

All permissions have been granted in the database. And I'm also running as administrator command in PS.

One question: All the examples I found on the Internet, showed only one SQL Server.

Do I need to have two SQL Server High Availability BC? For example, SQL Server Mirror or SQL AlwaysOn?

Thanks a lot Jeremy.

Wilsterman Fernandes

Sunday, August 31, 2014 6:27 PM
  • Hi Jeremy

I found solutions the problem.

This link explains the types of HA is supported on RDBC

http://ryanmangansitblog.com/2014/02/24/rds-2012-sql-alwayson-considerations/

Thanks a lot Jeremy.

Wilsterman Fernandes

Monday, September 01, 2014 4:30 AM
  • Hi,

Glad to hear that your issue got resolved.

Thank you for sharing your experience here. It will be very beneficial for other community members who have similar questions. 

If you want any more solution in future, kindly place your post in Forum.

Thanks.

Dharmesh Solanki

Friday, September 05, 2014 8:53 AM