none
Windows 8.1 Enterprise and unattended answer file and missing apps

Question

• Hi,

Have just created a new WIN8.1 x64 enterprise image on a vm and captured it using the capture media.

I have imported it into SCCM 2012 R2 and have created a new deployment task and have sent it out to a test computer.

Once the computer has reimaged, and the task completes, a user logs on and no apps appear at all. not even the default apps like bing, news, weather etc. Just IE, Desktop etc.

In my task sequence, nothing really special happens, other than install image, apply drivers and join domain. I have also made a unattended file to skip through OOBE stuff that happens and to make sure locale is EN-AU. This is set at Apply Operating System.

What am I doing wrong or missing?

I all I want is the default  windows 8.1 apps to appear for each user who logs on.  There is no need to do a copyprofile as i have not made any modifications to the user account during image build.
    I did not update the apps before taking the image.

Here is a copy of the unattend.xml file

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
    <unattend xmlns="urn:schemas-microsoft-com:unattend">
        <settings pass="oobeSystem">
            <component name="Microsoft-Windows-Shell-Setup" processorArchitecture="amd64" publicKeyToken="31bf3856ad364e35" language="neutral" versionScope="nonSxS" xmlns:wcm="http://schemas.microsoft.com/WMIConfig/2002/State" xmlns:xsi="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-instance">
                <OOBE>
                    <HideEULAPage>true</HideEULAPage>
                    <HideOEMRegistrationScreen>true</HideOEMRegistrationScreen>
                    <HideOnlineAccountScreens>true</HideOnlineAccountScreens>
                    <HideWirelessSetupInOOBE>true</HideWirelessSetupInOOBE>
                    <NetworkLocation>Work</NetworkLocation>
                    <ProtectYourPC>1</ProtectYourPC>
                </OOBE>
                <TimeZone>Tasmania Standard Time</TimeZone>
            </component>
            <component name="Microsoft-Windows-International-Core" processorArchitecture="amd64" publicKeyToken="31bf3856ad364e35" language="neutral" versionScope="nonSxS" xmlns:wcm="http://schemas.microsoft.com/WMIConfig/2002/State" xmlns:xsi="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-instance">
                <InputLocale>en-AU</InputLocale>
                <SystemLocale>en-AU</SystemLocale>
                <UILanguage>en-AU</UILanguage>
                <UserLocale>en-AU</UserLocale>
            </component>
        </settings>
        <cpi:offlineImage cpi:source="wim:c:/downloads/windows%208.1%20ent/sources/install.wim#Windows 8.1 Enterprise" xmlns:cpi="urn:schemas-microsoft-com:cpi" />
    </unattend>

• Edited by askzxy Wednesday, October 30, 2013 5:57 AM
    Wednesday, October 30, 2013 5:57 AM

Answers

• I worked out the issues here-

In the task, Under Apply Network settings, I had the Domain OU set as Computers.

The default Computers folder in AD is not an OU so this stuffed it up!

I blanked out Computers in Domain OU and left it empty, saved and ran task and all was fine after that!

• Marked as answer by askzxy Tuesday, January 14, 2014 9:25 AM
    Tuesday, January 14, 2014 9:24 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Have just created a new WIN8.1 x64 enterprise image on a vm and captured it using the capture media.

I have imported it into SCCM 2012 R2 and have created a new deployment task and have sent it out to a test computer.

Once the computer has reimaged, and the task completes, a user logs on and no apps appear at all. not even the default apps like bing, news, weather etc. Just IE, Desktop etc.

In my task sequence, nothing really special happens, other than install image, apply drivers and join domain. I have also made a unattended file to skip through OOBE stuff that happens and to make sure locale is EN-AU. This is set at Apply Operating System.

What am I doing wrong or missing?

I all I want is the default  windows 8.1 apps to appear for each user who logs on.  There is no need to do a copyprofile as i have not made any modifications to the user account during image build.
    I did not update the apps before taking the image.

Here is a copy of the unattend.xml file

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
    <unattend xmlns="urn:schemas-microsoft-com:unattend">
        <settings pass="oobeSystem">
            <component name="Microsoft-Windows-Shell-Setup" processorArchitecture="amd64" publicKeyToken="31bf3856ad364e35" language="neutral" versionScope="nonSxS" xmlns:wcm="http://schemas.microsoft.com/WMIConfig/2002/State" xmlns:xsi="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-instance">
                <OOBE>
                    <HideEULAPage>true</HideEULAPage>
                    <HideOEMRegistrationScreen>true</HideOEMRegistrationScreen>
                    <HideOnlineAccountScreens>true</HideOnlineAccountScreens>
                    <HideWirelessSetupInOOBE>true</HideWirelessSetupInOOBE>
                    <NetworkLocation>Work</NetworkLocation>
                    <ProtectYourPC>1</ProtectYourPC>
                </OOBE>
                <TimeZone>Tasmania Standard Time</TimeZone>
            </component>
            <component name="Microsoft-Windows-International-Core" processorArchitecture="amd64" publicKeyToken="31bf3856ad364e35" language="neutral" versionScope="nonSxS" xmlns:wcm="http://schemas.microsoft.com/WMIConfig/2002/State" xmlns:xsi="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-instance">
                <InputLocale>en-AU</InputLocale>
                <SystemLocale>en-AU</SystemLocale>
                <UILanguage>en-AU</UILanguage>
                <UserLocale>en-AU</UserLocale>
            </component>
        </settings>
        <cpi:offlineImage cpi:source="wim:c:/downloads/windows%208.1%20ent/sources/install.wim#Windows 8.1 Enterprise" xmlns:cpi="urn:schemas-microsoft-com:cpi" />
    </unattend>
    Wednesday, October 30, 2013 5:59 AM
  • Have you tried without your unattend.xml customizations? Specifically the Hide options in Shell-Setup? These are not necessary as ConfigMgr will inject what is needed into the xml to make it an unattended deployment.

Have you reviewed smsts.log to verify that the TS finished properly?

Jason | http://blog.configmgrftw.com

Wednesday, October 30, 2013 10:01 PM
  • Hi

i have the exact same problem with mdt 2013.  I try to install a Windows 8.1 entreprise in french and i only have 4 tiles on the modern menu.  If i take the cd of Windows 8 entreprise and install all manually everything is ok, all the tiles are there.  What append with the unattend mode in 8.1?  i do the exact same install in Windows 8 entreprise and i don't have the problem.  Can someone help us?

Friday, November 01, 2013 2:08 PM
  • I would also be interested to know if you specified an unattend on the Sysprep line when you captured the image and what it contained.

"Anything worth doing is worth over doing." Heinlein

Wednesday, November 06, 2013 1:28 PM
  • Me too. We have the exact same issue. Interesting is: we do only have the issue with the enterprise agreement (english or german doesn't matter) source. when we take the msdn-source, everything ist fine and all tieles are present.

At us, not only the tiles are missing, but also the Mail,Kalendar,People-App and the Maps-App are not installed. Do you others have these apps (which sould be installed by default)?

CIO Swiss Council for Accident Prevention

Friday, November 08, 2013 12:44 PM
  • We also have the same problem with Win 8.1 enterprise (x86). I tested without unattend.xml and without copying appsfolderlayout.bin to default user profile but the problem remains. Then i noticed, that when i do first logon with domain user account all apps are ok (people,mail,calendar,weather etc.). When i do first logon with local administrator account those apps are missing..
    Wednesday, November 13, 2013 4:20 PM
  • We open a Case by Microsoft. The Answer is her:

SYMPTOM

The customer has   downloaded Windows 8.1 Enterprise Image from the licensing center open   source.

When he performs   normal manual installation from the ISO image, he can see the normal   applications on the start screen.

When he performs   unattended installation 9 via 3rd party software named Columbus from   Brainware, he can see only 5 applications on the start screen, the other   applications are missing and he cannot add it to the start screen manually   either.

CAUSE (if its   applicable)

n/a

RESOLUTION

There is no   official solution or statement about this problem, we are still in testing   phase. There is just a temporary work around to add Autologon with a local   user in the  OOBE phase which helps in some cases.

MORE INFORMATION   (if its applicable)

n\a

Autologon dont help us.

Thank you MS for this great Answer!!

Roendi

Thursday, November 14, 2013 8:07 AM
  • Curious question, did your WIM image that you sysprepped, contain the GA updates?  Also, we found that the November Rollup Update hotfix solved some issues with localized versions of Windows 8.1 (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2887595 ).

If you apply the GA updates + KB 2887595 to your ref-image before sysprep and capture, do you get the same experience?

/ Johan

Regards / Johan Arwidmark Twitter: @jarwidmark Blog: http://www.deploymentresearch.com FB: www.facebook.com/deploymentresearch

Tuesday, December 03, 2013 8:51 PM
  • in response to Johan's post...

I'm using GA build and have added KB2887595 into MDT 2013 as a package, which was deployed via the TS and the same issue still exists with the missing 8.1 AppX.

Thursday, December 05, 2013 5:42 PM
  • I have this same problem and it seems to stem from MDT enabling the Administrator account in the Specialize phase. If I remove this step from the unattend file it creates a new user with all the apps. the problem is that it will not finish the deployment automatically until you enable the administrator account and login, or manually start the script.

EDIT: a little more fooling around and I found that the problem is caused by the built-in administrator being the first one to login. Some how the default profile is overwritten or ignored. I created a new task sequence and took out the auto login part in the OOBE phase of the unattend.XML file and set the unattend.xml file to set up an admin account so it will login to that account first then I changed unattend.XML File first logon command to put the LTIbootstrap.vbs command as a run ounce entry into the registry. this way after the admin user logs in I logged out and logged in as the built-in administrator and the task sequence continued after that, and completed without error.

Note: the Built-in Administrator account will still be missing the apps on the start menu, but they will be in the app list now.
    • Proposed as answer by jecomputer4me Tuesday, December 10, 2013 8:49 PM
    Tuesday, December 10, 2013 8:49 PM
  • I worked out the issues here-

In the task, Under Apply Network settings, I had the Domain OU set as Computers.

The default Computers folder in AD is not an OU so this stuffed it up!

I blanked out Computers in Domain OU and left it empty, saved and ran task and all was fine after that!

• Marked as answer by askzxy Tuesday, January 14, 2014 9:25 AM
    Tuesday, January 14, 2014 9:24 AM