none
"The storage where the virtual hard disk is located does not support virtual hard disk sharing"

Question

• Hi,

I have a single Hyper-V host and a single file server, both running Windows Server 2012 R2 RTM in my lab.

I`ve configured Constrained Delegation in order to use the new Shared VHDX feature, but I`m getting the following error when trying to add a VHDX-file from the file server to a virtual machine:

[Window Title]
    Settings

[Main Instruction]
    Error applying Hard Drive changes

[Content]
    Failed to add device 'Virtual Hard Disk'.

The storage where the virtual hard disk is located does not support virtual hard disk sharing.

Cannot get information for attachment '\\fs01\hyper-v smb storage\shared_disk_1.vhdx'.

The storage where the virtual hard disk is located does not support virtual hard disk sharing.

Any suggestions on how to troubleshoot this error?

Monday, October 07, 2013 12:37 PM

Answers

• Thanks. I`m mainly going to demo Shared VHDX in Windows Server 2012 R2 Hyper-V as well as use it for guest clustering in my lab.

Since this is for lab purposes only, I guess I could configure a single-node Scale Out File Server cluster.

Wednesday, October 09, 2013 5:34 AM

All replies

• Here's the requirement for share VHDX:

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dn265980.aspx

Monday, October 07, 2013 11:25 PM
  • Thanks. Basically this means I will have to set up a Scale Out File server for using Shared VHDX with my standalone Hyper-V host?
    Tuesday, October 08, 2013 5:37 AM
  • Yes if want to use the shared VHDX feature, what are you trying to do with the feature? they might be some other solution that you can use.
    Tuesday, October 08, 2013 10:01 PM
  • Thanks. I`m mainly going to demo Shared VHDX in Windows Server 2012 R2 Hyper-V as well as use it for guest clustering in my lab.

Since this is for lab purposes only, I guess I could configure a single-node Scale Out File Server cluster.

Wednesday, October 09, 2013 5:34 AM