none
ConfigMgr 2012 architecture and design for small environment

Question

• I'm planning to install a single dedicated virtual machine for CM 2012 (all roles and db in this machine) to VMware vSphere. This is a very small network that contains only about 250 clients and 10 servers. What do you think what kind of VM configuration (memory, cpu, disk) is enough for this so it's not an overkill? Any idea to divide SQL DB and log files to dedicated virtual disks? I was going to create three virtual disks. One for the OS, one for the data (images, apps, drivers etc.) in RAID5 datastore and one for CM with SQL server and databases in RAID10 datastore.

VMware vSphere environment is configured as cluster and contains two identical  HP DL 360 G8 servers with single cpu E5-2650 v2 (8 core), 48GB RAM attached to HP MSAP2000 G3 with 24*300GB 10K SAS (8 disk RAID 10, 2x8 disk RAID 5 )

Sunday, October 20, 2013 9:27 AM

Answers

• What types of functionality are you going to be using in CM12? That will have an impact on sizing as well.  for example OSD can be I/O intensive.

My recommendation is to map out your most common use case scenarios and an then look at these two places to start your decision process:

1. Ken't server sizing blog post:  http://blog.coretech.dk/kea/system-center-2012-configuration-manager-sql-recommendations/ there is a spreadsheet that you can use to try some sizing scenarios
    2. The ConfigMgr Administrators's cookbook:  http://www.packtpub.com/microsoft-system-center-2012-configuration-manager-administration-cookbook/book there is a really nice piece on how to think about the tradeoffs between cost and performance in hardware configuration

I have setup small environments to support less than 1000 clients with 2x2core CPU, 16GB of memory and a single disk volume for CM+SQL and performance was acceptable 9not great but it worked and things didn't backlog too much).  The understanding was that this was a barebones deployment and the workload for CM was to be light.  Of course in a virtual environment, adding resources can be simpler than a physical environment.

Sunday, October 20, 2013 1:24 PM

All replies

• What types of functionality are you going to be using in CM12? That will have an impact on sizing as well.  for example OSD can be I/O intensive.

My recommendation is to map out your most common use case scenarios and an then look at these two places to start your decision process:

1. Ken't server sizing blog post:  http://blog.coretech.dk/kea/system-center-2012-configuration-manager-sql-recommendations/ there is a spreadsheet that you can use to try some sizing scenarios
    2. The ConfigMgr Administrators's cookbook:  http://www.packtpub.com/microsoft-system-center-2012-configuration-manager-administration-cookbook/book there is a really nice piece on how to think about the tradeoffs between cost and performance in hardware configuration

I have setup small environments to support less than 1000 clients with 2x2core CPU, 16GB of memory and a single disk volume for CM+SQL and performance was acceptable 9not great but it worked and things didn't backlog too much).  The understanding was that this was a barebones deployment and the workload for CM was to be light.  Of course in a virtual environment, adding resources can be simpler than a physical environment.

Sunday, October 20, 2013 1:24 PM
  • It's going to be used for OSD and application/updates installation for most of the time. Thanks for the links. What do you think would it make any sense to put CM SQL db, db log, tempdb and tempdb logs to different disks? 

Sunday, October 20, 2013 1:53 PM
  • If you have the separate disk channels available then go for it but sometimes more spindles on the same channel can be more performant than less spindles across more channels depending on configuration. With the small number of clients you will be servicing you probably don't need that much separation.  Maybe just 2 different disks instead of 4 and see how it goes?

Tuesday, October 22, 2013 1:41 AM